• This topic has 3 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Galicia and Bukovina : a research handbook about Western Ukraine, late 19th and 20th centuries is a website/book I found just this morning. I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy but thought it could be useful to some. It's in English. Maps, images, citations, everything. It's a scholarly work.

Anonymous

I love Bukovina CoA! Name Bukovina also sounds realy great!

[img height=350]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Wappen_Herzogtum_Bukowina.png” />

Anonymous

Love when people get the two galicias  mixed up. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Love when people get the two galicias  mixed up.

Same here. You almost made me think for a quick second I had mixed them up. LOL

Anonymous

Think my greatgrandnothers  family was originally  from there . 

Anonymous

Technically, my family lived there when it was called Galicia and Austro-Hungarian Empire…  And I found out today there might be a slim chance I have a living relative still there!  Waiting to hear back on that one. Got a friend in L'viv helping me out since he has friends near my family's villages.

Anonymous

Great to here.  I wrote to the town in Slovakia that she was born in for any info on the Danko family,  but no reply yet.  That's the only town that I know anyone was from.  Very difficult looking for historical records from the Hapsburg period.  I know there was a period of magyarization in the late 1800s.  Wonder if that is part of the problem

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Great to here.  I wrote to the town in Slovakia that she was born in for any info on the Danko family,  but no reply yet.  That's the only town that I know anyone was from.  Very difficult looking for historical records from the Hapsburg period.  I know there was a period of magyarization in the late 1800s.  Wonder if that is part of the problem

Good possibility. If I had an address to write to, I'd be giving it a shot, too. However, they have an administrative town above them I think and I'm not sure which one it is. So…. yeah.

Anonymous

If your ancestors were commoners you can usually trace your ancestry to around 18th century and even 17th century when documentation became more stable and constant. Greatest issue is when some of your ancestor moved from other region and local priest or official didn't put any note about his previous location. One fellow i know managed to trace his ancestry back to 13th century however he is of "yeomanry" stock. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    If your ancestors were commoners you can usually trace your ancestry to around 18th century and even 17th century when documentation became more stable and constant. Greatest issue is when some of your ancestor moved from other region and local priest or official didn't put any note about his previous location. One fellow i know managed to trace his ancestry back to 13th century however he is of "yeomanry" stock. :D

I'd be happy with 17th or 18th century. True, I'd love as much as possible, but I'll take what I can get. :)

My mother's side is all the way back to 13th century if I remember correctly. But they're Scottish. So much easier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.