• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The Goranci (meaning “highlanders”, Serbian Cyrillic: Горанци) or Gorani  are a Slavic Muslim ethnic group inhabiting the Gora region – the triangle between Kosovo, Albania, and the Republic of Macedonia. They number an estimated 60,000 people, and speak a transitional South Slavic dialect, called Našinski.

Anonymous

Našinski is such a good name for a language. :D
    There are also Gorals (highlanders).
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorals

Anonymous

Macedonian Muslims from the gora region. Most have macedonian citizenship.

Anonymous

Rex Hatson Most of them live in Kosovo. Macedonian Muslims are Torbeshi.

Anonymous

I’m talking about the Macedonian Muslims in Kosovo (aka Gorani);

Macedonian Muslims also inhabit the Golo Brdo region of Albania. All of them can be called Torbeshi, but this is more of a slang term for Macedonian Muslims 

Anonymous

Anonymous

I’ve never heard any Goranian identifying himself as a Macedonian, and I have a lot of them in my family.

Anonymous

@cHr0mChIk So how do they identify themselves?

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” simply as “Goranians”.

Anonymous

@cHr0mChIk Are they muslims?

Anonymous

Kapitán Denis Yes they are Muslims. They’re an interesting bunch. Their surnames sound Albanian but their language sounds like somewhere between Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian, and Bulgarian. Here is a Gorani speaking “Našinski” (what they call their language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5vl2Vx0wQ

Anonymous

@Svevlad Wow, I understood almost everything. Maybe even I can call it Našinski then. :D It’s nice to find new nationalities or ethnic groups that I didn’t know about before. Thanks for sharing the info guys.

Anonymous

I hope u liked it

Anonymous

Yeah, I worked with some. The once I have met were traditional (Orthodox), close knit families, don’t like to impose on others, and don’t like others to impose on them. They strive to preserve their traditional way of life, so they avoid activities that will expose children to modern culture in Serbia. Children are timid, well mannered. Hard working. Very dark hair.

My friend was in love with one Goranac from Kosovo – they were circling around each other for two years, but never made any kind of move because she comes from ultra Orthodox family, and he is a Muslim, and both families were extremely against any kind of mixing. From what she said, the Muslim Goranci also don’t approve of mixing outside their group. Though this guy was a liberal and black sheep in a family. It’s hard to escape from your family.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.