• This topic has 10 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I just ran around few articles about archaeological findings and few articles about viking height, and average roman height and this is the conclusion:

-"Several skeletons found and studied in Europe suggested that the average roman soldier was 5′ 2″ and the “barbarians” they fought were an average of 5"
    -So Average Roman soldier was 157.48 centimeters, while average Viking/Barbarian was 172.72 centimeters…

it must have been hilarious, like some midget wars. 157cm tall male soldier?! Is that borderline dwarf?

Anonymous

How about Slavs?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    How about Slavs?

I'd guess around same range from 5'5 to 5'8. Probably the later taller group, haven't really checked were there any findings on our height.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I'd guess around same range from 5'5 to 5'8. Probably the later taller group, haven't really checked were there any findings on our height.

Please, use the metric system when talking to me  ;D

Anonymous

http://av.zrc-sazu.si/pdf/52/AV_52_Leben_Seljak.pdf

^
    Just found there that according to few ancient Slavic skeletons we were on average (males) around 167 and 172 height tall, meaning an average-to-tall height in medieval times.

Can't even imagine what was the average midget like for medieval standards then lol

Anonymous
    Quote:
    How about Slavs?

Somewhere I read that ancient Slavs were arround 170 cm. It would correspond to183 cm today). Average height of humankind was increased about 1 cm per century in last 2000 years, so Slavs from 7th century were tall.

Anonymous

I read that average early Slav(not soldier just simple individual) found on graves in Kosovo and few of them in Macedonia ranged from 168 to 173 cm, average Byzantinian men from 170 to 172 cm, but I'm gonna try to find the article again

Anonymous

Anonymous

From graves in Slovakia :

Graves in Devín – 9th century – male 1,66 m / female 1,56 m

Medieval graves – 11th – 12th century – male 1,67 m / female 1,60 m

…for comparison :

Average height of 18-year-old population of Slovakia (all nationalities though) :

Year                  males (m)                  females (m)
    1971                1,752                        1,624
    1981                1,7586                      1,6336
    1991                1,7787                      1,653
    2001                1,7935                      1,6561

Anonymous

Yeah i think this is realistic. Even in 17th century people were quite small. When going into those baroqe palaces you can see how small their beds are. :)

From todays standards it might be midget wars and especialy when one compares them with you then they were truly midget. However they were in no way weak people. Probably those midgets were stronger than many of us. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yeah i think this is realistic. Even in 17th century people were quite small. When going into those baroqe palaces you can see how small their beds are. :)

Baroque beds tell nothing about human height of that time, because those beds had an average lenght of 2 m. Mostly it is due to the optical illusion that you think those beds are short.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Baroque beds tell nothing about human height of that time, because those beds had an average lenght of 2 m. Mostly it is due to the optical illusion that you think those beds are short.

When i was watching those beds for real not on pictures i am pretty sure those beds are small. What makes you think it is illusion?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    When i was watching those beds for real not on pictures i am pretty sure those beds are small. What makes you think it is illusion?

Guides like to ask tourists what do they think how long those beds are. Mostly they answer 1,50 m or something, but then guides – with a smile on their faces – say 2 m and more.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Guides like to ask tourists what do they think how long those beds are. Mostly they answer 1,50 m or something, but then guides – with a smile on their faces – say 2 m and more.

Those guides are probably fooling around. ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Those guides are probably fooling around. ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.