• This topic has 4 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Well so I have been trying to find a root of my surname "Falat". First I thought it is of Magyar origin cuz it means "piece". Same meaning it has in Šariš dialect. But no more information from this side.
    Then I find out that first mention of my surname is from village Kurov in 1618, it lies on borders with Poland. On internet page I found out that its origin is in polish Halič, however this is slovak expression. U can not believe everything on internet so I checked and I found out that most of people with such surname comes from Poland, then Slovakia- Šariš region (it is where I live) and then some from Austria. Only one or two records from Hungary. (Well I did not count USA and Canada cuz many immigrants in early 1900s). Problem is that I can not find Halych in Poland. Only in Ukraine. Yet today I asked my grandmother. I knew that my grandgrandfather lived in Ľubovec, little village also in Šariš region. When I told her that origin of my surname could be somewhere in Poland or Ukraine, she said that little neighbourhood in Ľubovec was called "Poľska Galicija".
    So the problem is that everything leads to Poland, nevertheless I could not find Halych in Poland. However the city of Halych was once part of Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. Is this a reason why so many indication leads to Poland? .. or should I look for Ukraine?
    What is your guess on this case?

Anonymous

jakej viri buľi?
    falatovo i onufrejovo, šicke chtore znaš  :)

Anonymous

Toto že neznam :D aľe neznam otim žeby dachto mal inšu jak rimokatolicku vieru unas..

Anonymous

śe popitaj na grekokatoľikov i pravoslavnych, slovom, na rusku viru.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So the problem is that everything leads to Poland, nevertheless I could not find Halych in Poland. However the city of Halych was once part of Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. Is this a reason why so many indication leads to Poland? .. or should I look for Ukraine?

Halič was Polish until 1939, that's probably why.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well so I have been trying to find a root of my surname "Falat". First I thought it is of Magyar origin cuz it means "piece". Same meaning it has in Šariš dialect. But no more information from this side.
    Then I find out that first mention of my surname is from village Kurov in 1618, it lies on borders with Poland. On internet page I found out that its origin is in polish Halič, however this is slovak expression. U can not believe everything on internet so I checked and I found out that most of people with such surname comes from Poland, then Slovakia- Šariš region (it is where I live) and then some from Austria. Only one or two records from Hungary. (Well I did not count USA and Canada cuz many immigrants in early 1900s). Problem is that I can not find Halych in Poland. Only in Ukraine. Yet today I asked my grandmother. I knew that my grandgrandfather lived in Ľubovec, little village also in Šariš region. When I told her that origin of my surname could be somewhere in Poland or Ukraine, she said that little neighbourhood in Ľubovec was called "Poľska Galicija".
    What is your guess on this case?

Halych used to be part of Poland, Austria-Hungary.. and is now part of present day Ukraine in the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast. 

However, there is a Halič in Slovakia.  But if your grandmother referenced Halych being in Poland/Galicia, then it's the first link – in today's Ukraine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.