• This topic has 5 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My Great grandmother was born in Austria to parents from Czechia. I found My Opa's Nazi documents with his family history of his mothers family and I wanted to know how many of these surnames are Czech.
    Also was it common for Czech people in the past to have German first names like Franz, Johann?
    Here is a list of Surnames. Are they czech?
    Nadvornik

Pecany

Barda

Haman

Jansa

Thank you :)

Anonymous

This isn't Czech names. Don't remember after 1945, 1/4 Czech citizens was Germans. Lots of Czech have german surmanes and lots of names was czechianized..Schuster – Šustr, Schwarz – Švarc,..

Czechs didn't have German first names…we used our František (Franz), Georg (Jiří),…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My Great grandmother was born in Austria to parents from Czechia. I
    Here is a list of Surnames. Are they czech?

Nadvornik

Pecany

Barda

Haman

Jansa

Thank you :)

Haman is German, Jansa (Janša?) could be Slovene, other are Czech

Anonymous

Haman – starozákonní nepřítel Židů, intrikant proti nim. Jeho intriky zmařila Ester. Původ může být i ze slezského haman = jedlík nebo květovaná látka.
    Barda – z osobního jména Bartoloměj.
    Jansa –  Varianta od Jan. Příjmení patří k těm, jež jsou odvozena od jmen osobních (křestních). Jde pouze o odlišení od ostatních Janů. Jan se k nám dostal jako tolik jiných prostřednictvím křesťanství, latiny a řečtiny, jež si ovšem přizpůsobily biblického Jóchánána.
    Nádvorník – z  nádvorník (šafář, podomek)
    Only one which is not clear to me is "Pecany" – I have found only a village with name Pečany, but as a surname it does not seem Czech to me. Unless it should have been Peceny (Pečený). http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/surname/Pecany/pecany-family-history-and-family-tree

Quote:
    This isn't Czech names. Don't remember after 1945, 1/4 Czech citizens was Germans. Lots of Czech have german surmanes and lots of names was czechianized..Schuster – Šustr, Schwarz – Švarc,..

Czechs didn't have German first names…we used our František (Franz), Georg (Jiří),…

Of course Franz and Johann are not Czech first names. They could have been as well Germanized Czechs though.

Anonymous

Thank you for the information
    sorry the name is Pečený  :)

What is Pečený origin?

Yes I think they were Germanised Czechs.

Jansa = Slovene? Maybe but Slovenia is not close to Czech.

They came from  Hradec Králové Region. Was  Hradec Králové Region apart of Sudeten Germany?

Anonymous

Pečený – z přídavného jména; Pečík, Pečiva (od slova pečivo)
    This one is from the group of surnames which have their origin in the trade of the bearer, in this case a baker (pekař); the one who makes baked goods (pečivo).

Anonymous

thank you :) very interesting.

So what is a Germanised Czech? what does that mean?

Anonymous

They could have been immigrants to Germany who germanicized their names  for practical purposes. However, Hradec Králové region and especially the city itself were a part of Sudetenland and an intensive melting pot of Czechs and Germans and in many cases it was difficult to distinguish them just by language.
    You might like this site http://www.kdejsme.cz/ where you can check out how common is a first name and/or a surname in a particular region of the Czech republic.

Anonymous

thank you for the information and website :)

My grandfather was Austrian and born in Austria in 1926.
    My grandfathers father was an Ethnic Austrian and my Grandfathers mother was born in Austria in the 1890's to immigrant parents from Hradec Králové area of Czechia. 

All those surnames are from my Grandfathers mothers family. All the men and woman in the family had German first names going back at least 5 generations.

So it looks like her family were Germanised Czechs who also had some Ethnic German heritage (Haman surname)

So if someone who was a Germanised Czech in the 1800's and early 1900's would they be considered Sudeten Germans? OR just Germanised Czechs? and them being Germanised czechs be the reason for them being able to settle anywhere in Austria pre- 1900?

Anonymous

Brno (Brünn) was not sudenten lands, but citizens was j3ws and German. Same Jihlava (Iglau), Praha (Prag), etc… Don't remember we was rich lands in old Austria. This name call like Czech. Maybe you have Czech blood. :)

But why is your own nationality? What is your nationality meter? by langauge? by land where you live? or by blood pagans?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Haman – starozákonní nepřítel Židů, intrikant proti nim. Jeho intriky zmařila Ester. Původ může být i ze slezského haman = jedlík nebo květovaná látka.

Haman, Hamman, Hamann, Hahman, etc is considered to be Germanic surname (I dont know do you follow football, but there was famous footballer Dietmar Hamann). Well, of course I would love it is Slavic, but it was traced back to early medieval Bavaria.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Haman, Hamman, Hamann, Hahman, etc is considered to be Germanic surname (I dont know do you follow football, but there was famous footballer Dietmar Hamann). Well, of course I would love it is Slavic, but it was traced back to early medieval Bavaria.

And I always thought Hamanovići to be a purely Slavic last name :(

Anonymous

To me Slavic or Germanic is not an issue I am happy to be apart of both great peoples.

Can someone tell me What does Germanised Czech mean? How are they different to normal Czech people?

Thank you

Anonymous

I have found another surname it is spelled two different ways.
    Vejnar and Weinar

Are they Czech in origin or Germanic ?

Thanks everyone for your help so far :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

13 User(s) Online Join Server
  • кошка
  • Tujev
  • slovborg
  • kony97
  • Nexius
  • Piachu