• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #344022

    Anonymous

    My grandfathers mothers family were from Bohemia/Czechia then under Austrian Rule and Im tring to work out what ethnicity they belonged to. Her are some of their names. maybe you can help me :)

    Franz Nadvornik
    Anna Haman
    Barbara Burda
    Johann Jansa
    Anna and Johann Weinar/Vejnar
    Maria Ledvina

    All the mens first names were either Franz or Johann
    Most of the womans first names were Anna or Maria.

    What ethnicity to you think they would of belonged to? they lived in Bohemia/Czechia in the 1840's to 1900's

    #395554

    Anonymous

    For me it seems Czech.

    #395555

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    For me it seems Czech.

    thank you for your opinion :)

    I found out
    Weinar/Vejnar surname is German origin. Weinar: From German personal name Woiner, and this from Wagner

    and

    Haman is of German origin same as Hamann.

    Nadvornik is Czech

    Burda ?

    Jansa? I was told Slovene or German for John ?

    Ledvina also could be Czech?

    #395556

    Anonymous

    I am not sure about this. Meanings and roots of the surname are not making blood of your ancestors eg. German.

    Burda may be Polish, but I don't really know for 100%.

    #395557

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Jansa? I was told Slovene or German for John ?

    Is it Jansa or Janša? Janša is a Slovenian last name, but I'm not sure if Jansa is (or at least I've never heard of it).

    #395558

    Anonymous

    Its '' Jansa ''

    Leopold Jansa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Jansa

    Leopold Jansa (23 March 1795, Wildenschwert (Czech: Ústí nad Orlicí), far north-east Bohemia, Austrian Empire – 25 January 1875, Vienna) was a Bohemian violinist, composer, and teacher.

    #395559

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    thank you for your opinion :)

    I found out
    Weinar/Vejnar surname is German origin. Weinar: From German personal name Woiner, and this from Wagner

    and

    Haman is of German origin same as Hamann.

    Nadvornik is Czech

    Burda ?

    Jansa? I was told Slovene or German for John ?

    Ledvina also could be Czech?

    Weinar looks like germanized Polish surname Wojnar.
    Burda may be Polish because it means "riot" ;)
    And Jansa may be related to heraldy of some Slavic country,because its similiar to Jaksa ,Sarmatian name used in Polish noble heraldy.

    #395560

    Anonymous

    Ledvina and Nadvornik also sound pretty Slovenian, at least they wouldn't be weird here. Dvornik is definetly present among Slovenes.

    #395561

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ledvina and Nadvornik also sound pretty Slovenian, at least they wouldn't be weird here. Dvornik is definetly present among Slovenes.

    Dino Dvornik – Jače manijače

    #395562

    Anonymous
    Quote:

    Yeah, I know those guys, seen on TV. Isn't Dino dead or so? Otherwise there are 162 Dvorniks in Slovenia, which isn't that little. For comparison, there are only 25 people with the same surname as me here.

    #395563

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yeah, I know those guys, seen on TV. Isn't Dino dead or so? Otherwise there are 162 Dvorniks in Slovenia, which isn't that little. For comparison, there are only 25 people with the same surname as me here.

    Around 300 here: http://imehrvatsko.net/namepages/view/family_name/prezime-Dvornik

    #395564

    Anonymous
    Quote:

    So it seems like it's a common name in both countries, like Novak or so.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • slovborg
  • kony97
  • Glockamole
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • Lucifer Morningstar