Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi there!
    I want to start new topic about my favourite subjects and hobbys: history and Polish (that's the way we call in Poland all art, culture, religious and mythological knowledge as a school subject).
    Well, first issue I want to discuss about is Slavic mythology in scholarship. I think we, as Slavs should learn definitely more than we learn now. It's really important because it's past of our nations. I had just one topic about it in my history book, and short teacher's speech on it. Both were just few words about Perun as most important god, and short Thietmar's relation how did Slavic old temple look. I think it's not good for us, while Greek mythology we learn in Polish lessons every year few to lot of lessons. I don't think knowledge about greek culture is useless or something like that. I also find it interesting, but I think that as Slavic person I should also know something more about my ancestor's religion and culture. I'm catholic, and I'm not going to change my religion btw. And what do you think, is that good idea for our peoples to learn about it during scholarship?

Anonymous

I agree. There is a whole wealth of Slavic culture out there. There are so many artifacts and ruins from Slavic paganism across Poland and other Slavic countries. I am surprised Western scholars do not engage in exploration of this culture as much as say Greek mythology. Maybe it's misperceived as less exciting, or is it some other sort of bias? You see Western scholars go across to some dingy island in the Asian pacific, where is the inquiry in East Europe. Just look at the Bosnian pyramids, it had to be discovered by a Slavic guy first of all. I am sure archaeologists could get funding for themselves as there is so much to come across in Eastern Europe.

Anonymous

Ancient Greece and Rome are exaggerated.    Many of Rome's 'inferior' competitors, like the Cisalpine Gauls and the Slavic Dacians, had far superior metallurgy.  Rome was never a god-like entity, they almost did not survive the Carthargianians and were sacked in the end by various peoples. 

Both Greece and Rome's main accomplishments were social sciences but it only seemed to have accomplished the manipulation / degradement of the population into a tyrannical, slave-based, depotism (no surprise it's such an inspiration to a wealthy oligarchy).

I suppose there was some positive social sciences (Roman Republicanism) but I'm more inclinced to believe that the ancient Celts and Slavs were freerer and had better living conditions (no slavery corporate farms, not squeezed into cities, et cetera)  than any Roman during the Republic Era, let alone the imperial regime.

In fact, some parallels could be drawn with contemporary society to the Byzantine Empire.  Constantinople, because of administration incompentence, usury and taxes, had a population of 50,000 (formerly 500,000) in the 1440s and no doubt their politicians were asking for 40-50 years of income for a century old derelict home, probably appealed to their own ignorance when discovering that fertility rates had plummeted, and probably thought it was cheaper to bring in Turks than to promote the reproduction of the existing population.  ::)  ;D

This was the same Byzantine that was so afraid of being Slavicized that they brought in Near-East (including Turkic people) and Middle Easterners to fight us.

I think most nation and empire nations are obsessed with Rome – if only as a model as to enslave the people of Europe.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ancient Greece and Rome are exaggerated.    Many of Rome's 'inferior' competitors, like the Cisalpine Gauls and the 1 Slavic Dacians, had far superior metallurgy.  Rome was never a god-like entity, they almost did not survive the Carthargianians and were sacked in the end by various peoples. 

I suppose there was some positive social sciences (Roman Republicanism) but I'm more inclinced to believe that the ancient Celts and Slavs were freerer and 2 had better living conditions (no slavery corporate farms, not squeezed into cities, et cetera)  than any Roman during the Republic Era, let alone 3 the imperial regime.

mhwhah slow down man! You really do not know much about Rome, it seems :)

1. Slavic Dacians – omg  😮

2. Better living conditions? Hardly. If they ever had any, they would have advanced faster than Romans. Did they? Not at all :) People in Roman Empire were for the most part in a much safer environment and led much better lives. Not to speak about Roman cities, which were well build and people had mostly more space than most of modern city-dwellers. By the way, slavery was widespread among virtually all peoples of those ages.
    Roman law is basis for both Anglo-American and European Continental law and thusly for most legal systems in the world. It provided an unprecedented protection of individual and at the same time ensured relative stability of Rome.

3. I have never heard of "imperial regime". Latin term "imperium" means "official power", power that comes from function of an official (magistratus). Roman state went through these phases: kingdom, republic, principate, dominate. Era of Roman dominate can be compared to Absolute monarchy and it was during the dominate that feudalism came into being and the free peasantry was being destroyed.

Anonymous

Many scholars consider the Dacians to be Slavic and I never meant to use 'Imperial Regime' to officially designate Rome – I wasn't posting a JSTOR article.

So a legal system, which no doubt favoured the Patricians and elites, would be worth being a capite censi?  Even an urban proletarii only had a few luxuries.  I suppose free bread and cheap gladiatorial games may appeal to some (just like collecting welfare and watching television today) but I wouldn't begin to suggest that the capite censi and proletarii lived better than free Gauls and Slavs who could hunt game on horse back and still manage to reap the benefits of Roman Civilization through trade (Roman wines were shipped throughout Europe – so you did not have to be Roman to have access to Roman goods).

This is the same Rome that also had 10-30% of the population as slaves and some of those slaves were reduced to said status through your 'legal system' (insolvent debtors).  Likwise, I've also read of the same legal system reducing women into forced prostitution. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Many scholars consider the Dacians to be Slavic and I never meant to use 'Imperial Regime' to officially designate Rome – I wasn't posting a JSTOR article.

So a legal system, which no doubt favoured the Patricians and elites, would be worth being a capite censi?  Even an urban proletarii only had a few luxuries.  I suppose free bread and cheap gladiatorial games may appeal to some (just like collecting welfare and watching television today) but I wouldn't begin to suggest that the capite censi and proletarii lived better than free Gauls and Slavs who could hunt game on horse back and still manage to reap the benefits of Roman Civilization through trade (Roman wines were shipped throughout Europe – so you did not have to be Roman to have access to Roman goods).

This is the same Rome that also had 10-30% of the population as slaves and some of those slaves were reduced to said status through your 'legal system' (insolvent debtors).  Likwise, I've also read of the same legal system reducing women into forced prostitution.

give links for Slavic Dacians and women in forced prostitution.

People outside Roman Empire missed one great benefit. Relative peace and stability.
    Also, slavery was of vital importance to economy of that time.
    Legal system: Both patriciate and plebeity shaped the legal system. It favoured all free people – and there lies its greatness.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • Tujev
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Jan Pat II
  • Nefario
  • kony97