• This topic has 14 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #345705

    Anonymous

    How significant is the cultural and historical difference between these people?  To an outsider, it doesn't seem like much.  Also is there any cultural difference between Serbs proper and Serbs from Vojvodina? 

    As an outsider observing the situation with Serbia I am kind of saddened.  Serbia lost Montenegro and now Kosovo and now there is talk of an independent Vojvodina. 

    #420751

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Serbia lost Montenegro and now Kosovo and now there is talk of an independent Vojvodina.

    Montenegro is a separate country,so Serbia didn't lose anything.
    On what basis would Vojvodina claim independance?AFAIK the Serbs are a majority in there,it doesn't make any sense.

    #420752

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    How significant is the cultural and historical difference between these people?  To an outsider, it doesn't seem like much.  Also is there any cultural difference between Serbs proper and Serbs from Vojvodina? 

    As an outsider observing the situation with Serbia I am kind of saddened.  Serbia lost Montenegro and now Kosovo and now there is talk of an independent Vojvodina.

    Before 1945, there was no difference. Then some Communists made sure to make some. Anyway, take look at Montenegrin section, I think I described Serbian point of view.

    #420753

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    How significant is the cultural and historical difference between these people?  To an outsider, it doesn't seem like much.  Also is there any cultural difference between Serbs proper and Serbs from Vojvodina? 

    As an outsider observing the situation with Serbia I am kind of saddened.  Serbia lost Montenegro and now Kosovo and now there is talk of an independent Vojvodina.

    We're basically the same historically, and we're culturally very similar but not really the same(Serbs and Montenegrins). Cultural difference indeed exist even within Serbia itself and people from Vojvodina are culturally a bit different then central Serbs and southeast Serbs.

    #420754

    Anonymous

    the slight cultural difference betwean Serbians and Montenegrins as two separate groups of Serbs began when Ottomans came IMO. People who fled to the Montenegrin mountains started living in isolated clan communities with their own laws, harsh customs and constant skirmishes with Turks.

    #420755

    Anonymous

    As the other posters have said Montenegro is basically a region of Serbia. The same applies to Vojvodina Serbs. It is very unlikely that Vojvodina will declare independence in the foreseeable future because Serbs make up a majority of the population there. Only some Hungarians there want independence but their number % wise is in the single digits. Most Hungarians in Vojvodina are actually quite loyal to Serbia and ok unlike in Kosovo where 90% of the pop. is hostile sheepturds.

    #420756

    Anonymous

    I wouldn't call it region of Serbia but rather the one of Serbian lands. Montenegrin Serbs are highly egoistic and proud generaly and love the fact that they live in Crna Gora more than anything else.
    so they (not me) would be offended by your remark.

    #420757

    Anonymous

    Maybe better explanation is this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serb_clans
    Of course, pity is that article has its "talk" page with more text than article alone, with often used word "propaganda"
    or my personal:
    my male ancestors originated from Banjani clan (west Montenegro-east Hercegovina), after Ottoman conquers moved to Lika (today Croatia), later again moved to western Bosnia, during WWI were volunteers in Serbian army, and when war finished they were rewarded with land in Vojvodina. Today I have far relatives in Montenegro, Bosnia and Vojvodina, I live in central Serbia, and I am Serb.

    #420758

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Maybe better explanation is this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serb_clans
    Of course, pity is that article has its "talk" page with more text than article alone, with often used word "propaganda"
    or my personal:
    my male ancestors originated from Banjani clan (west Montenegro-east Hercegovina), after Ottoman conquers moved to Lika (today Croatia), later again moved to western Bosnia, during WWI were volunteers in Serbian army, and when war finished they were rewarded with land in Vojvodina. Today I have far relatives in Montenegro, Bosnia and Vojvodina, I live in central Serbia, and I am Serb.

    How did you find this out?

    I remember reading somewhere that many Serbs and Montenegrins know from which clan they came, would it be possible for me to find out what clan(/s) my family is from?

    #420759

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    I remember reading somewhere that many Serbs and Montenegrins know from which clan they came, would it be possible for me to find out what clan(/s) my family is from?

    Do you have ancestry from Herzegovina or Montenegro?

    #420760

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Do you have ancestry from Herzegovina or Montenegro?

    Pretty sure my family is of Montenegrin ancestry

    #420761

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Pretty sure my family is of Montenegrin ancestry

    On you're fathers side? I'm not too familiar with Serb clans but I think you can just look through clan surnames and find which clan your surname shows up in.

    #420762

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    On you're fathers side? I'm not too familiar with Serb clans but I think you can just look through clan surnames and find which clan your surname shows up in.

    I think on all sides of my family.
    Also I'm almost certain about my fathers side, because there are several places in Montenegro like mountains and villages that are the same as my last name.

    Where can I look it up?

    #420763

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Where can I look it up?

    I guess you could start here.

    #420764

    Anonymous

    I won't say that Crna Gora is Serbia…but Crna gora is part of Serbian nation (language, same culture etc.)….

    Crna Gora je Srpska Sparta!

    image

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.