• This topic has 6 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am curious to learn how individual Slavic cultures prepare drinks such as Coffee or Hot Tea. I would like to know methods, brand of products (coffeemakers, tea and coffee brands, coffee cups).  Do you add sugar, milk, cream? Do you drink Hot Chocolate or Cocoa? 

How I make Coffee in America.

I have this coffeemaker.
    Cuisinartreg PurePrecision Pour-Over Coffee Brewer with Stainless Steel Carafe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViCWCIbf0jg

I buy beans from a specialty coffee company located in my town and grind them myself.  If you want espresso, do not use this grinder! A ceramic conical burr grinder is necessary for espresso. 

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill

After my coffee is ready, I pour it into my Michigan State Coffee Mug. It has the “Fight Song” on the back.
    Green 34Fight Song34 Mug with Two Sided White Imprint

Then, I add coffee creamer. This is my usual. Hazelnut, sugar-free. 
    Hazelnut Sugar Free

Anonymous

In Russia, Belarus, possibly Ukraine tea is more popular than coffee. Water is boiled in a boiler or  kettle and tea concentrate is made in a small teapot. Then tea concentrate is mixed with boiled water. Some people add sugar and milk. I don’t any sugar or milk. In the past the boiler was samovar on wood in Russia. Noawadyas people use tea infuser ball or what they are called. Or tea bags.  In Soviet times quality coffee beans or instant coffee produced in south america was scarce, so there was no coffee drinking culture to the same extent as in southern and western Europe or Americas. In the past coffee was made in Turkish style using a little pot known as Cezve in Turkish. Some used instant coffee.  Today, people buy coffee makers or buy coffee in cafe made in coffee makers.

Anonymous

This guy is the World Champion Cezve/Ibrik maker. Would his method be the same in Russia, Belarus or Ukraine? I want to try this method. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PtWraNRTY

Anonymous

@Karpivna

I don’t know how coffee is made in Cezve in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. In my childhood if we had coffee at home, then it was instant coffee. A bit later I used Moka pot. Now, coffee makers.  I know Cezve (Turka in Russian) was popular in making coffee in Russia, Ukraine.

Here’s one way of making it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29QWwSLjgVY

Anonymous

I wonder if Ukrainian President Poroshenko eats these cookies with his coffee? They are made by his company, Roshen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGRmSGs_mI

2017 Ukrainian Coffee Championships! INTENSE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRokQqtT4Nc

Anonymous

I can buy this Russian tea glass at Walmart for $34.99. lol I want one. “BRONZE Set of 1 Russian Vintage Crystal Tea Glass & Handmade Holder Podstakannik.”  Do Russians still drink from this type of glassware?
    BRONZE Set of 1 Russian Vintage Crystal Tea Glass amp Handmade Holder Podstakannik

Anonymous

I put a water in a kettle and while I’m waiting for it to boil, I grab my cup, put one or two teaspoons of insant coffee (Nescafe), then I put boiled water and one teaspoon of sugar. I used to add two or three, but now I avoid adding sugar to drinks. I don’t drink much tea, but when I do I either add one teaspoon of sugar or I don’t (usually I don’t). 

Nowadays I prefer to drink linden flower (out of it right now), mint, melissa, or some other herbal stuff. There are some brands like Green Mills, Lord Nelson or Herbarium.
    Without a sugar. At this moment I drink coffee.

I don’t add milk or cream and I don’t drink cocoa or chocolate :)

Anonymous

@Sviatogor In the 1990s, there was a coffee shortage in USSR.

Soviet Coffee Shortage

Published: November 19, 1991

MOSCOW, Nov. 18— Because of a severe shortage of hard currency, the Soviet Union plans no coffee imports for 1992. The Tass press agency said today that the Soviet Union had signed no contracts for coffee imports for 1992 and Soviet coffee-processing plants might shut down because of a lack of deliveries for the rest of 1991. It said the Soviet Union had received only 50,000 metric tons of the 80,000 tons contracted from India, Vietnam and Laos this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/19/business/soviet-coffee-shortage.html

@GaiusCoriolanus When I am lazy or in a hurry, I make a cup of coffee like you do!  :D Except I put cup of water in microwave. Then add instant coffee (Nescafe or Taster’s Choice). Then, creamer. I don’t like the taste of sugar in my coffee. Just personal preference. I drink tea “black,” though. Nothing added.

I usually buy Nescafe Instant Coffee. Only $1.82 at Walmart!  :D Good deal! Plus, if there is a coupon, I can save even more!

Anonymous

In the Balkans it’s usually cooked old school in a džezva, this type of coffee is called Turkish or homemade if you don’t like Turks :D I personally like that the best as do both of my parents. We drink it strong, black, no sugar, no milk, but that’s not a rule, most people drink it with both sugar and milk. I’m not much of a coffee drinker, I don’t drink it every day, in fact I drink it rarely, only in the exam seasons, like now. I drink Nescafe too.
    Now this doesn’t mean other types are neglected, other types are popular too, especially with younger people. I really like hot chocolate, but I don’t drink it to often, I can’t remember when I drunk it last. I used to drink a lot of cocoa as a kid, I don’t think I tasted for at least 5 years, maybe even more.
    When it comes to teas I prefer peppermint tea. I would rarely drink it alone, usually with some cookies or during some sweet breakfast.

Anonymous

How to make Serbian coffee.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjveFB2SRwM

WHAT YOU NEED FOR PERFECT SERBIAN STYLE COFFEE

1. Best quality, finely ground Minas coffee.

Do not, I repeat, do not even think that the supermarket pre-packaged coffee will work, unless it’s Grand Café or Doncafe brand.

You should not use the pre-packaged ground beans unless they are finely grounded.   And when I say fine, I mean powdery, not plunger or espresso style. That is too coarse.

2. A Dzezva or stove coffee pot is essential.  You can find them at most European style deli’s. If you can’t then here is a place you can buy them online: https://www.coffeecompany.com.au/accessories/coffee-accessories/stainless-steel-turkish-coffee-pot-medium

3. Water

HOW TO MAKE IT

1. Measure out how many cups  you plan to make. This is usually done using a rough guide of 1 coffee cup (not mug) per person.   I usually will use a 3 cup method when it’s my husband and I, and the third cup is for extra.
    2. Put the water into the dzezva and on the stove top to boil.
    3. Once it boils, take off the dzezva off the heat.   Add a heaped teaspoon of finely ground Minas coffee to the hot water, for every cup. In my example, I would add 3 heaped (and I mean heaped) teaspoons as I like it strong.
    4. Give this a quick stir to mix it into the water, and it if it is good quality, fresh coffee it will already start to form coffee foam or crema after you stir the coffee in. Don’t over do the stirring – just enough to mix in the coffee without lumps. If you don’t have crema, then you haven’t put enough coffee in for the amount of water or the coffee is stale.
    5. Put back the dzezva on a medium heat – not too low, or it will overcook.  Not to high or it will overflow and burn.   So, don’t move away from the stove at this critical time.   Very soon, you will see the coffee and the crema start to rise.  Once that starts to happen,  take it immediately off the heat.  One more stir and you’re done!
    6. Let it sit for a minute and pour into cups. I always like to take off the crema with a spoon and give each cup it’s equal share before pouring the coffee but however you wish.

http://discovermyserbia.com/how-to-make-perfect-serbian-coffee/

Anonymous

Put cup in machine, press button, retrieve cup, drink coffee.

Anonymous

@Karpvina

Soviet government wanted to be self-sufficient in many respects. For example , cotton was considered a strategic raw material from which clothing was made for 4mln soviet army. As a result, engineers constructed irrigation canal taking water from Amadurya river that flows into Aral sea. Today the Aral sea is almost dried out due lack of water from the river. Rice was grown in southern Russia (Kuban) in soils that were not suitable for rice growing. Tea was grown in southern Russia and Georgia, while Indian and Sri-Lanka tea was scarce. Little quality natural coffee was imported from south and central America, and other places. Instead coffee-substitute was produced and sold in shops.  Quality natural coffee appeared in larger quantities in mid 90s. During that time not all people could afford it due to economic problems in post Soviet countries. In soviet times there were coffee substitues made of rye, barley. Chickory root was a common ingridient in coffee-substitute too. Some cities such as capitals – Moscow, capitals of certain republics had better food supplies than the rest of the country.

Anonymous

My parents like tea. Not long we discovered rooibos (red bush from South Africa)  for our Mum which is free of caffeine. She has blood pressure. My father also switched to rooibos saying Mum watches him drinking regular tea wanting to have a cup too. So he switched to rooibos .

Rooibos looks as tea. It smells and tastes a little bit like tea. But it’s not really a tea : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

Anonymous

In Serbia people who drink coffee are usually the same people that smoke cigarettes. We drink tea when we are sick.

Anonymous

@Shaokang That’s true too. My father doesn’t drink coffee without a cigarette, never.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.