• This topic has 7 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Do you guys consider Hungarians Slavs? I know that they orginated from behind the Ural, but does that make them Slavs? Also is there a connection between Hungarians and Albanians because in both languages their words for their own language is Magyar and Sqhiptar. Sqhiptar means "Mountain People" and Hungarians orginated from a mountain, so is there a connection?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Do you guys consider Hungarians Slavs? I know that they orginated from behind the Ural, but does that make them Slavs?

1. Slavs didn't originate from behind Ural. AFAIK Hungarians also don't.
    2. No, they are certainly not Slavic. They don't speak Slavic language.

Also is there a connection between Hungarians and Albanians because in both languages their words for their own language is Magyar and Sqhiptar. Sqhiptar means "Mountain People" and Hungarians orginated from a mountain, so is there a connection?

Oh, and maybe also with Scottish Highlanders?

Anonymous

Magyars are in no way Slavs. Yeah, they assimilated a large part of Slavs, but it doesn't make them Slavs.

I've never heard about the Magyar-Albanian connections, but I've heard about the Magyar-Turkish friendship which is supposed to be based on common origin, culture, mythology, customs, martial methods etc. There's even a Park of Hungarian-Turkish Friendship in Szigetvár, Hungary :

[img width=700 height=519]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Park_of_Hungarian_Turkish_Friendship_Szigetvár_3.jpg/800px-Park_of_Hungarian_Turkish_Friendship_Szigetvár_3.jpg” />

Btw. they are well-known as people from the steppes rather than from the mountains.

Anonymous

The name of Arnauts in their language could have meaning of mountain dwellers, the people who speak clearly or the sons of the eagle.
    There is no connection with Magyars.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Also is there a connection between Hungarians and Albanians because in both languages their words for their own language is Magyar and Sqhiptar. Sqhiptar means "Mountain People" and Hungarians orginated from a mountain, so is there a connection?

What? ;D On what basis this makes them connected? ::)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Magyars are in no way Slavs. Yeah, they assimilated a large part of Slavs, but it doesn't make them Slavs.

I've never heard about the Magyar-Albanian connections, but I've heard about the Magyar-Turkish friendship which is supposed to be based on common origin, culture, mythology, customs, martial methods etc. There's even a Park of Hungarian-Turkish Friendship in Szigetvár, Hungary :

[img width=700 height=519]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Park_of_Hungarian_Turkish_Friendship_Szigetvár_3.jpg/800px-Park_of_Hungarian_Turkish_Friendship_Szigetvár_3.jpg” />

Btw. they are well-known as people from the steppes rather than from the mountains.

Miklos Zrinyi was a Slav. The same Nikola Subic Zrinski is a national hero to Croats. I don't think the Hungarians are Turkic though even though some historical sources incorrectly called them Turks. Their closest relatives seem to be Finns.

Anonymous

finns and hungarians are unrelated except for distant linguistic connections

Anonymous

Who would be closer relatives to the Hungarians?

Anonymous

khantys and mansis, whose languages are related to hungarian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.