• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I recently heard a word that sounds Slavic but it's not.  If you heard the word PUKWUDGIE, what would be your first thought?  Would this word (or any word close sounding to it) have a meaning in any of the Slavic dialects?  If you google it you will see that there is no connection to the Slavs.  It's one of those words that should be Slavic but it isn't ;)

Anonymous

Hm, no, it doesn't mean absolutely anything in Slovak. It doesn't even sound Slavic for me, why exactly to you it does?

Anonymous

It sounds like something that my grandparents would say.  Or jokingly like garatchki.  If our pronunciations are the same you should know what that word means.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It sounds like something that my grandparents would say.  Or jokingly like garatchki.  If our pronunciations are the same you should know what that word means.

Pronounciation of that word in Slavic languages general is pook-vood-ghee-eh. Still have no idea. It little bit reminds me word podhubie, but that's in Slovak.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I recently heard a word that sounds Slavic but it's not.  If you heard the word PUKWUDGIE, what would be your first thought?  Would this word (or any word close sounding to it) have a meaning in any of the Slavic dialects?  If you google it you will see that there is no connection to the Slavs.  It's one of those words that should be Slavic but it isn't ;)

Firstly you must define how you pronounce the word. :)

Anonymous

pukwudgie……pojď k vodě :)))

Anonymous
    Quote:

It sounds like a joke. What did they say it in reference to? Honestly it might be a made up word with some Slavic sylobols depending on how it's said. On a side note , I wish some Slavic languages wouldn't write with the letter 'W.'

Anonymous
    Quote:

Sa to ani len nerýmuje XD

I searched, and Google told me that Pukwudgie is some monster in Wampanoag folklore, Native American tribe (Massachusetts). Those people definitly aren't Slavs. It's sounds like some Indian tribe.

Anonymous

Maybe you wrrite it wrong. Try to wrrite it in a different way.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Sa to ani len nerýmuje XD

I searched, and Google told me that Pukwudgie is some monster in Wampanoag folklore, Native American tribe (Massachusetts). Those people definitly aren't Slavs. It's sounds like some Indian tribe.

Some Native Americans might be of Slavic descent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatan

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Some Native Americans might be of Slavic descent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatan

Hahahah epic! ;D

Anonymous

půjd k vudje=pukvudje=pojd k vodže=pukwudgie

if you say these 3 words very guickly  and in some languages,  for example, it has very soft sound, dj/dž, and if you have somebody without any knowledge of slavic language,  what  you can get from that :))                   

hehe, but I am not saying that I am right, it is just like playing with words. The right meaning could be completely different.

these indians are named after moravians  brothers

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/tribes/delaware/moravianhist.htm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.