• This topic has 4 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The last week I did much research if the name Ikač is of Slavic origin. I learned a lot of history about Eastern Europe. The focus for me was the period 1690-1730. I have no conclusion where my anscestor came from, but i found interesting facts.

Here some research;  4. Slavic / Ruthenian and Hungarian Suffixes;

8. suffix -ač, for ex. Takač, Sakač, Kovač;
    The same suffixes are found in the Carpathian area too.

However;

After territory of present-day Hungary came under Habsburg administration, a new wave of Serb refugees migrated to the area in 1690, as a consequence of the Habsburg-Ottoman war. In the first half of the 18th century (1700-1750) , Serbs and South Slavs were ethnic majority in several cities in the territory of present-day Hungary, including Buda, Szentendre, Baja, Pécs, Szeged, etc. After the devastating Ottoman wars these cities had a very low population.

In 1698, more than a half of population of Pécs were South Slavs (including Serbs). In 1715, the population of Buda numbered 1,539 houses, of which 769 were South Slavic (mostly Serb), 701 German, and 68 Hungarian. In 1715, the population of Baja numbered 237 houses, of which 216 were South Slavic (Serb and Bunjevac), 16 Hungarian, and 5 German. In 1720, 88% of population of Szentendre were South Slavs (mostly Serbs). In 1720, the population of Szeged numbered 193 houses, of which 99 were Serb.

During the 18th and 19th century, the Hungarian-Serb ethnic border moved southward and fixed in the territory of present-day Vojvodina. Following the dissolution of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1918, the Serbian army and South Slavic People’s Administration from Novi Sad controlled not only present-day Vojvodina, but also southern parts of present-day Hungary.

If you look at the Ikač familyname in 2018 it is very small , but 90%  is today to be found in Vojvodina. The origin (and the meaning) of the name and family Ikač is unknow.

However maybe this is a trace and explanation;

Where the  Ikač  Bunjevci ?

It is been argued that they are Croats, Serbs, and yet another among the South Slavic nations.  The most common view is that the community fled western Herzegovina and Dalmatia to Vojvodina during the 17th-century Ottoman invasion, led by Franciscan monks, and were accepted in the Military Frontier. The Catholic Church in Subotica celebrates 1686 as the anniversary of the Bunjevci migration, when the largest single migration did take place. Croatian cultural historian Ante Sekulić, come to the conclusion that they were Slavicized Vlachs that converted to Catholicism!!

Anonymous

if they’re mostly around Subotica and Sombor, that is northern Bačka they could be Bunjevci. Today even Bunjevci them self are divided on what they are (Bujevci, Croats, Serbs).

Anonymous

I check your surname a little bit, and I found it in southern Croatia, the area around Zadar. That’s where it originates probably.

Anonymous

@Shaokang I don’t like that site. Everybody are Croats according to it. If you type in any surname it’ll say “they are mostly Croats” (većinom su Hrvati), even it is obviously Serbian surname, then they add a često su i Srbi (and they are often Serbs). Even my surname is Croatian according to them, anyone on this forum can find out they’re Croats with this site, go ahead type in your surname.
    That all aside it can be helpful for this purpose, locating surname origin. 

Anonymous

@Shaokang I just typed “prezime Ikač” and that’s what I got

Anonymous

The name is orginal Serbian or Bunjevci I think. And the name Ikač can now also be found in the north of Vojvodina. 
    In towns and villages like Becej, Bac, Sombor and Subotica.

I think they original name came from Dalmatia.

Портал Порекло објављује списак српских презимена из Далмације, са местима порекла и крсном славом.

Икач-Бенковац, Коларина-.Св. Георгије.

In Kolarina 50% had the familyname Ikač.  I hope someone of this family did research in their background.  Perhaps I can finally connect it with my anscestor Paulus Ikač who was a soldier and came to Flanders in a Habsburg army round 1715. 

Anonymous

Anonymous

Sava is Serbian name. I doubt you’ll find it among Croats.

Anonymous

@Shaokang But Kolarina is in Dalmatia.

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” there were a lot of Serbs in Dalmatia, there were a lot of Serbs in Croatia until 1995. I think third of Serbs in my town are of Dalmatian origin.

EDIT: and a quick search tells us that in 1991 Kolarina had 440 people, 424 of which were Serbs. In 2001 there were 13.

Anonymous

btw Sava in those parts can be female name, male would be Savo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.