• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Infeld is one of the surnames in the Czech part of my family tree. At first glance, it’s easy to tell the name is of Germanic, not Slavic, origin. In my tree, the name is traced back to the late 1700’s, in Vlksice. Just curious if anyone’s ever come across the name, or knows its meaning/origin.

According to Forebears.io, the top ten countries in which the name is found are:

Poland – 191
    United States – 168
    Argentina – 60
    Israel – 59
    Canada – 23
    Denmark – 19
    Czech Republic – 8
    Australia – 4
    England – 2
    Brazil – 2

According to Czech surname website kdejsme.cz, the 8 people with that surname in Czechia are from:

Chrudim – 5
    Semily – 2
    Prague – 1

Anonymous

I’d be guessing it’s a Jewish surname. Here’s an example of a person with that surname:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Infeld

But I don’t know the meaning. To me it looks like have similar etymology to “Enfield”.

Anonymous

There’s a Czech actress with this name.
    https://www.osobnosti.cz/jana-ivanovic-infeldova.php

Maybe you’re distant relatives.

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus

I thought it was Jewish as well, but our records state my Infeld ancestors were Catholic. Maybe converts?

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis”

Cool. Maybe so.

Anonymous

@texczech82, could be. Changing the religion could’ve been helpful in making a career, or getting married with someone of another religion. Reasons can vary (also depending on the time period somewhat). 

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus

You really could be on to something. Through DNA testing my uncle, then having our DNA looked at by a few genetic genealogists, turns out we have a bit o’ Jew way back there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • привет
  • slovborg
  • Jan Pat II
  • 'las
  • Fia
  • kony97