• This topic has 5 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

This topic shall be about stuff, events, people, habits and other interesting things connected with Slovenia and it's people that I or you think would be worth to share here, on our beloved Slavic forum – Slavorum.

For the start, did you know that the oldest brass band in the world is from Slovenia? It comes from the town of Idrija and is  mentioned by Janez Vajkard Valvasor in his work Slava Vojvodine Kranjske in 1686.

Did you know, that Idrija's also known for one of the greatest mercury mines?

Didi you know that Slovenia also has the oldest underground post terminal, located in the Postojna cave? Postojna cave is also home of the Proteus, an endemit of the Kars, found only in this part of the world.

Did you know that the Freising Manuscripts are the oldest recorded text in the Slovene languages and also the oldest record of a Slavic language in a ltin script? They're from the 10th century. The oldest Slovene printed words, however, are stara pravda from 1515, mentioned in a mercenary poem when the Slovene peasent uprising of 1515 crushed. The oldest two Slovene printed books are from 1550 by Primož Trubar

Did you know that Slovenia has the oldest vine in the world, located in Maribor and about 450 years old?
    [img width=700 height=466]http://www.slovenia.info/pictures%5CTB_attractions%5C1%5C2010%5CStara-trta_Slovenia_Slovenija_Maribor_Pohorje_Vesna-Male_1_301227.JPG”/>

More interesting facts soon

Anonymous

On the Slovenia Tourism website there is a nice little game to learn about Slovenia:

Slovenia Game

Anonymous

Did you know that Jurij Slatkonja, a Slovene bishop in Vienna, was the first director of the Wiener Sängerknaben choir?

Anonymous

Did you know that Kobarid, a town in the Upper Soča Valley of western Slovenia, near the Italian border, features in Ernest Hemingway's novel, "A Farewell to Arms"?

Kobarid is known for the WWI Battle of Caporetto. "A Farewell to Arms" documents the Italian retreat.

(This is my favorite Hemingway novel.  :D )

Anonymous

Did you know that first laws wrriten in Slovene in 1582 were about wine management, production, sales, etc. determining the duties and rights of winemakers. :)

Quote:
    Did you know that Jurij Slatkonja, a Slovene bishop in Vienna, was the first director of the Wiener Sängerknaben choir?

Yes i did. :D

Quote:
    Did you know that Kobarid, a town in the Upper Soča Valley of western Slovenia, near the Italian border, features in Ernest Hemingway's novel, "A Farewell to Arms"?

Kobarid is known for the WWI Battle of Caporetto. "A Farewell to Arms" documents the Italian retreat.

I didn't knew that thow i was told he did fight in Soča/Isonzo front. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

I know he came to fight our guys, after we have beaten the crap out of the Italians at Kobarid and push them all the way to Piava river. Those bastards then recieved allied help … The rest can be looked up in a book. Otherwise also Erwin Rommel fought on the Soča front.
    The regiment from my town also suffered heavy losses on the Šoča front. But none of their positions was ever taken. Its 10th batalion, with some 1200 men, left the scene at Doberdob after 12 days with over 1000 casulties.
    [img width=700 height=232]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/IR_87.jpg” />

Anonymous

Štajerc, everyone suffered great losses in WWI. Sad, but true. Cemeteries in Europe are littered with bodies of American war dead from that conflict.  At any rate, whether Hemingway was right or wrong, he did bring Slovenia to the world's attention. Reading "Farewell to Arms" in 8th grade was the first time I ever heard of Slovenia. I'm glad I did. :) You live in a great and beautiful country.  Thanks for the info on Slovenia, WWI, and Kobarid. I certainly will have to read more about it. You've piqued my interest. :)

*********************************************************************************
    On topic:  Did you know couples can still get married in the church on Bled Island?  However, tradition says that the groom must carry his bride up the 99 steps to ensure a long and happy marriage, so…  :-

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Štajerc, everyone suffered great losses in WWI. Sad, but true. Cemeteries in Europe are littered with bodies of American war dead from that conflict.  At any rate, whether Hemingway was right or wrong, he did bring Slovenia to the world's attention. Reading "Farewell to Arms" in 8th grade was the first time I ever heard of Slovenia. I'm glad I did. :) You live in a great and beautiful country.  Thanks for the info on Slovenia, WWI, and Kobarid. I certainly will have to read more about it. You've piqued my interest. :)

I'm glad I did. :)

On topic:  Did you know couples can still get married in the church on Bled Island?  However, tradition says that the groom must carry his bride up the 99 steps to ensure a long and happy marriage, so…  :-

Yes, though few do it. But the island is still great. Been there once (on the island, several times at the lake) and you just want to go back.

Did you know that we say that you become a real Slovene only after getting on top of Mount Triglav?

Anonymous

Yahoo! is highlighting Slovenia today.  :D Lots of photos.

http://travel.yahoo.com/blogs/compass/giant-caves-slovenia-underground-grand-canyon-174736540.html

If you've ever wondered what the Grand Canyon would look like underground, a visit to the Škocjan Caves may be in order. The series of cavernous chambers in Slovenia is on the UNESCO World Heritage List and receives 100,000 visitors a year. Its deep chasms and soaring walls have led to the place being called the "underground Grand Canyon."

Believed to be among the world's largest underground canyons, the location is like a tremendous bat cave (more on that in a moment).

Although the giant subsurface wonder is nowhere near the size of the actual Grand Canyon, the cathedral-like spaces are still something to behold. "You'll realize that you could fit a fat 45-story skyscraper in this subterranean world," writes travel blogger Francis Tapon.

The Reka River rushes through the bottom of the limestone chasm and can be viewed from a footbridge, nearly 150 feet high. Lonely Planet says it is "surely the highlight of the trip."

Stalagmites and stalactites fill the cave in the dry area called Great Hall. Some are so big they've been named the Giants and the Organ.

Then there are the signs of life: 250 varieties of plants and 15 different types of bats, according to Lonely Planet. Also worth noting is the incredibly creepy fish that have never seen the light of day. The proteus is a bizarre blind sea creature dubbed the "human fish" due to its limbs and odd color.

Along with the flora and fauna, humans have had a presence in the underground lair for some 10,000 years. Archeological digs have uncovered finds from a settlement that dates from the Middle Stone Age to the Iron Age. The prehistoric site is on view in the area called Tominč Cave.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Thx for great contribution in Slovenia section Karpivna. It's bout time we give you honorary citizenship of Slovenia. :D Btw Slovenia is cool but we have many habits that might cause ppl to frown upon towards us so this country its not for the light hearted ppl. Becouse did you know that in Slovenia in some areas ppl still hunt and eat dormouses, Glis glis aka edible dormouse. The dormouse skins are used for special types of hats called Polhovke (from word Polh = edible dormouse) which are most typical hat for Slovene nation;

[img width=700 height=524]http://www.ajo.si/galleries/polh_20100819/polh.jpg” />

[img width=525 height=700]http://femina-shop.si/application/femina/request/image/image.php/galerija/product/thumb-xxl/720xauto/middlexcenter/100/3480855096131563.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In pictures: Škocjan Caves in Slovenia

I've been there, it's definetly worth a look, though Postojna cave is more beautiful if you ask me. Imagine this whole space flooded and filled with water 'till the sealing! Last time it happened after some heavy rainfall a few years ago. Btw, that whole area is called Kras, after which the English word "Kars" comes. Many many caves and other Kars stuff there. The whole area has a lot of atractions.

Škocjan caves

[img width=700 height=436]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Burger_PostojnskaJama.jpg” />
    Postojna cave, perhaps the most beautiful cave in the world, definetly in this part of the world

The olm/proteus/človeška ribica/močeril also lives in Postojna and some other caves. It can live for over 100 years. In folk tales it is the baby of a dragon. It is a larva, which never transforms to the adult level

And the black proteus, an even rarer endemit of the area. Apart from the pale proteu, this one has eyes

Predjama castle, also in Postojna

Lipica, which gave the name to the famous white Lipizzaner horses

And a lot more stuff

Anonymous

Wow! I never knew much of that  :)

You know, sadly, I would argue Slovenia is one of the most unknown/underrated countries in the world, they just aren't mentioned in the Media quite like Russia, Japan, etc. is, and also it is a very small country, making it harder to locate or want to learn about.

African countries are probably the most unknown, though. And the Baltic States/Belarus.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Wow! I never knew much of that  :)

You know, sadly, I would argue Slovenia is one of the most unknown/underrated countries in the world, they just aren't mentioned in the Media quite like Russia, Japan, etc. is, and also it is a very small country, making it harder to locate or want to learn about.

African countries are probably the most unknown, though. And the Baltic States/Belarus.

I agree. Perhaps it's also because we don't promote our country so much. On the other hand it is a good thing – at least there is no mass immigration from some third world countries or so.

Anonymous

The area around Bohinj and Bled has some of the most beautiful lakes in Slovenia. Bled is also the only remaining Slovene island (we would had another one at the cost, but it was connected with the mainland ages ago).

Bohinj lake

Bohinj lake

Church at Bohinj lake

[img width=700 height=470]http://www.slovenia.info/pictures%5CTB_other_tourist_offer%5C1%5C2005%5CSA_07,_J._Skok,_STO_65487.jpg” />
    Lake Bled with the island

[img width=700 height=466]http://www.sava-hotels-resorts.com/assets/Destinacije/Bled/O-Sava-Hotelih-Bled/bled-castle.jpg” />
    View from the castle

[img width=700 height=466]http://www.lectar.com/galerija/Zunanjost/slides/bled%20zima.jpg” />
    Bled in winter

Triglav lakes

[img width=700 height=466]http://www.pd-ljmatica.si/media/uploads/koce/sedmera/koca_sedmera_poleti_04.jpg” />
    Triglav lakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • Nefario
  • jorgos
  • Jan Pat II
  • some slavic guy...