• This topic has 18 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

is it common for young Polish kids to call their grandmothers "Baba" ?

Anonymous

"Baba" is not a very nice word. Not totally offensive, but irreverent. The English equivalent would be "hag" or "old hag," a darkly humorous or crude term for an older woman.

In Polish, I call my grandmother, "babcia."

Also, in Polish, the term "Baba Jaga" means "witch." It is kind of a kids word. The more official word is "czarownica."

Anonymous

thats interesting because my father would call his Polish grandmother "baba" and they welcomed it. Maybe she was part Ukrainian because she came from eastern poland and i know its common to call your grandmother "baba" in western ukraine. 

thanks for the information

Anonymous

Croats call their grandmother baba…or baka in central part

Anonymous

'baba' is used by toddlers (age 1-4); frequently it is one of the first words spoken by children  :)

Anonymous

Baba is used frequently among South Slavs for both grandmother and older woman.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    "Baba" is not a very nice word. Not totally offensive, but irreverent. The English equivalent would be "hag" or "old hag," a darkly humorous or crude term for an older woman.

In Polish, I call my grandmother, "babcia."

Also, in Polish, the term "Baba Jaga" means "witch." It is kind of a kids word. The more official word is "czarownica."

In Bulgaria it can happen that you lie down next to a `чаровница' (pronounced "charovnitsa") and you wake up next to Baba Yaga. Usually when there's alcohol involved. :)

Anonymous

aaaaa , it's slauvinism  ::)

Anonymous

In Slovenia nowadays baba is also more of offensive word but here word baba is not limited to grandmother but any woman. However word babica dose mean grandmother and it is widely used besides stara mama and less often nona via Italian. Some dialects did keep word baba for women in non-offensive usage like for example in Venetian Slovenia and Resia.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In Bulgaria it can happen that you lie down next to a `чаровница' (pronounced "charovnitsa") and you wake up next to Baba Yaga. Usually when there's alcohol involved. :)

I guess that 'чаровница' is Polish-Bulgarian false friend. Your 'чаровница' is a pretty fairy or enchantress, while in Polish 'czarownica' is a synonym of Baba Yaga, who is an ugly witch dealing with magic  :D

Anonymous

No, it is not common at all, unless you don't get along with her at all. ;) "Babcia", "Babunia" and other such words, yes, "Baba", no.

Anonymous

You wouldn't call your grandmother baba ever at least not in proper etiquette.

I don't know if it's really the equivalent of hag? It depends on how you use it. I mean it's not uncommon to refer to a random woman as such especially among someone you're familiar with, and many scenarios it's not rude. I just see it as a less formal way of saying kobieta, it be rude to say baba directly to a woman, but then it's also rude to call a woman just lady directly to her in English.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    You wouldn't call your grandmother baba ever at least not in proper etiquette.

My grandma calls herself with this word :)

Quote:
    I don't know if it's really the equivalent of hag?

At least, not in Russian. Don't know Polish good enough to judge.

Quote:
    I just see it as a less formal way of saying kobieta

Well, yes. The initial meaning of this word in Russian villages – simply, 'a married woman'. Nowadays it tends to have some disdainful or impolite sounding, but still women feel free to address to each other in this way, informally.

Anonymous

In Croatia we use both Baka=grandmother and Baba=old hag

However in Dalmatia they usually use Baba all the times both in positive and negative sense.
    I guess they don't find it offensive, however if i was to call my grandmother a Baba i'd get slapped on the face.

Anonymous

I would say baba was used by people to call Grandmother, and sometimes old women generaly. But with introduction of schooling system, they were teaching us (Serbs, Croats and rest), to call Grandmother Baka, while baba styed for old woman, but I would say, more urbanized call Granny baka, while rest call baba.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.