• This topic has 12 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #343347

    Anonymous

    This is thread about Slavic history. Here you can post about historic things you arent sure that are true so that we can debate about it. <br /><br />For example in wiki i found this;<br /><br /><blockquote>Polabian Slavs (Wends) settled in parts of England (Danelaw), apparently as Danish allies.</p></div></blockquote><br /><br />According to wiki this was mentioned in <em>Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race – A Study of the Settlement of England and the Tribal Origin of the Old English People</em> by <strong>Thomas William Shore</strong>. I wonder where he got that information. I mean what a hell? Do you think this is true? Is there any serious proof?

    #383414

    Anonymous

    They're from the same general area, so maybe, but I doubt it would be enough to be significant.

    #383415

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    This is thread about Slavic history. Here you can post about historic things you arent sure that are true so that we can debate about it. :)

    For example in wiki i found this;

    According to wiki this was mentioned in Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race – A Study of the Settlement of England and the Tribal Origin of the Old English People by Thomas William Shore. I wonder where he got that information. I mean what a hell? Do you think this is true? Is there any serious proof?

    Need first to see what source he is citing, but it is absolutley possible. Polabians were Danish allies, espetialy those from island of Rujan.

    #383416

    Anonymous

    I once saw a TV documentation where it was explained how Vikings brought Slavonic settlers to Iceland, they even excavated some old houses that were built in Slavonic style – so why should there not been some Slavonic settlers in England too? BTW I never found that docu again, I can't remember the name anymore, if someone has a clue, please post it. TIA.

    #383417

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    I once saw a TV documentation where it was explained how Vikings brought Slavonic settlers to Iceland, they even excavated some old houses that were built in Slavonic style – so why should there not been some Slavonic settlers in England too? BTW I never found that docu again, I can't remember the name anymore, if someone has a clue, please post it. TIA.

    Cool if you find it again please post it. ;) :D

    #383418

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    According to wiki this was mentioned in Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race – A Study of the Settlement of England and the Tribal Origin of the Old English People by Thomas William Shore. I wonder where he got that information. I mean what a hell? Do you think this is true? Is there any serious proof?

    Chapter from that book about Slavs in England: http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/thomas-william-shore/origin-of-the-anglo-saxon-race-a-study-of-the-settlement-of-england-and-the-tri-ala/page-8-origin-of-the-anglo-saxon-race-a-study-of-the-settlement-of-england-and-the-tri-ala.shtml

    #383419

    Anonymous
    Quote:

    Thanks mate. I see this information comes from some guy called Bede. I guess word slovenly comes from those Wendic settlers in England. ;D Anway these are Slavic settlements accordint to the link you gave;

    The Anglo-Saxon charters 4 tell us of Wendlesbiri in
    Hertfordshire, Wendlescliff in Worcestershire, Waendles-
    cumb in Berkshire, and Wendlesore, now Windsor all apparently named from settlers called Wendel (which means Slav in old Germanic languages), after the name of their race.

    Anyway i have found out that Cnute the Great has Slavic blood too via Swietoslawa (Svätoslava what a hell! Why you didnt tell us? ;D)

    #383420

    Anonymous

    In chapter "Our Darker Forefathers", author explain that in some regions of England people have darker complexion beacuse of Slavic ancestors ;D.

    #383421

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    In chapter "Our Darker Forefathers", author explain that in some regions of England people have darker complexion beacuse of Slavic ancestors ;D.

    Yes i have read something like that too. ;D I was tinking about posting that but i didnt want to offend anyone!

    Wends appears to have survived, but observations on
    the remnant of the race, who call themselves Sorbs,
    in Lower Saxony have been made by Beddoe. The
    Wendish peasants examined by him and recorded in
    his tables 2 showed the highest index of nigrescence of
    any observed by him in Germany.
    These observations
    have been confirmed by the results of the official ethno-
    logical survey of that country.

    #383422

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    In chapter "Our Darker Forefathers", author explain that in some regions of England people have darker complexion beacuse of Slavic ancestors ;D.

    The man was a peasant, and most of such people are all-day-long working on sun…not some English "lord" hiding himself from sun would then see someone like that of darker complexion. Imo ;D

    Quote:
    This is thread about Slavic history. Here you can post about historic things you arent sure that are true so that we can debate about it. :)

    For example in wiki i found this;

    According to wiki this was mentioned in Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race – A Study of the Settlement of England and the Tribal Origin of the Old English People by Thomas William Shore. I wonder where he got that information. I mean what a hell? Do you think this is true? Is there any serious proof?

    Wendish Pirates raided British Isle monasteries for loot, sometimes even Danish villages but in general they coexisted with Vikings (Joms Vikings example, which was sort of a Norse/Slavic warrior clan). In East Anglia you will find R1a HP as well, probably left by Wends and some Vikings raiding the territory.

    #383423

    Anonymous

    So there exist British Slavs in a small number?

    #383424

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    So there exist British Slavs in a small number?

    We dont know for sure how numerous were they in numbers but probably they werent small population.

    #383425

    Anonymous

    Canute The Great was Danish king who conquered England in early 11c. His mother was a Polish princess Swiatoslawa (if i remember correctly) so he was half Slav. Somewhere i read that, when conquering England he used Polish troops sent by his relative from Poland. It might be that some stayed there permanently as garrison troops, or even brought their families. It might also be that he invited some colonists to strenghten ethnic background for his rule.
    Also it turned out that there was a substantial (for those days) movement of people between Scandinavia and Rus'. For example, i read that Vladimir the Great while being in exile in Scandinavia met "many of his countrymen" if i am quoting correctly (This is unclear weather it meant Varangians from Rus' or Slavs from Novgorod or that it made no distinction between them). So it is feasable to assume that Slavs, or at least some of them individually, could have appeared throughout northern Europe via that route.

    #383426

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Canute The Great was Danish king who conquered England in early 11c. His mother was a Polish princess Swiatoslawa (if i remember correctly) so he was half Slav. Somewhere i read that, when conquering England he used Polish troops sent by his relative from Poland. It might be that some stayed there permanently as garrison troops, or even brought their families. It might also be that he invited some colonists to strenghten ethnic background for his rule.
    Also it turned out that there was a substantial (for those days) movement of people between Scandinavia and Rus'. For example, i read that Vladimir the Great while being in exile in Scandinavia met "many of his countrymen" if i am quoting correctly (This is unclear weather it meant Varangians from Rus' or Slavs from Novgorod or that it made no distinction between them). So it is feasable to assume that Slavs, or at least some of them individually, could have appeared throughout northern Europe via that route.

    Yeah, check this thread  http://www.slavorum.com/index.php?topic=2384.0  :)

    #383427

    Anonymous

    I'm not sure if this should go here, but I'm wondering about the origins of these villages/towns:


      [li]

    Mali Bošnjak[/li]
    [li]Bošnjane (Rača)[/li]
    [li]Bošnjane (Varvarin)[/li]
    [li]Mala Bosna[/li]
    [li]Bošnjace[/li]
    [li]Bošnjanović[/li]
    [li]Bošnjane (Paraćin)[/li]
    [li]Bošnjak (Petrovac)[/li]

    I find it funny how the Bošnja/Bosna toponym is more common outside of Bosnia and Herzegovina ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Drizzt
  • Kratos
  • Lyutenitsa
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • kony97
  • 'las