• This topic has 4 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My surname is Výbohová, without Slovak female suffix it's Výboh. Father told me that his family moved before few hundred years from Poland. But for me that surname doesn't sound Polish, at least not anymore. Because Polish language doesn't have "v" nor "ý" and it probably would be ended with "-g".
    Now that I want to ask – is there in Poland similar surname? I tried to search, but couldn't find anything.

P.S. Other variations of this surname that I know are Výboch, Výboštek and Výbošťok.
    P.P.S. It doesn't mean anything in Slovak. There is similar word "výbuch" (explosion), but I don't think that's it.

Anonymous

Depends what do you mean by "Poland". Your ancestors could have been Ruthenians as well.

As for your surname, I've thought an etymology based on wy- (out) + -boh (God) would be possible (your ancestors would be heretics, it seemed :P), but the "-ch" ending (especially ch > š in some versions, as h would rather change to ž) made this etymology impossible. Wybuch also would be impossible, as it has u in place of o/ó.

Or it has something in common with colloquial Polish "wybyć" – travel far, emigrate.

I would think about it anyway.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Depends what do you mean by "Poland". Your ancestors could have been Ruthenians as well.

I'm not sure if there was Poland's territory that time. What I know is that they were the most probably Polish.

Quote:
    As for your surname, I've thought an etymology based on wy- (out) + -boh (God) would be possible…

Yeah, when I was on elementary school and everyone were making fun of surnames of others, they told me that my surname is "bohovské" :D

I forgot to mention that Výboštek and Výbošťok are probably diminutives. Example:
    Bozk (kiss) –> diminutives in Central Slovakian dialect: božtek, božtík, božťok, božtíček, božťôčik, božťôčíček etc.
    By the way, Božťok is surname as well :)

EDIT: Oh and also, surnames Výboh/Výbošťok/etc. are the most common in Central Slovakia, mostly in/nearby town Zvolen and surrounding villages and cities. Or if you want, in region Podpoľanie.

Anonymous

Ok. For now I think the surname in Polish would be Wyboch (Wybóch would be rather impossible, no compensatory lengthening over an unvoiced consonant).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ok. For now I think the surname in Polish would be Wyboch

Such name does not occur on the geographical list of Polish surnames

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Such name does not occur on the geographical list of Polish surnames

That doesn't mean that such surname once existed. But true, this isn't probably the source.

Now I've searched for surnames based on wybierać (choose, take out (usually water out the well)). Wybrak > Wybrok > Wybroch > Wyboch.

When your ancestors emigrated from Poland? That may be helpful. It is possible, that the surname is Slovak?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    When your ancestors emigrated from Poland? That may be helpful. It is possible, that the surname is Slovak?

I can't remember, it was at least hundreds of years (dad said that at least 400), but in village Vígľaš, where I used to live and which is nearby Zvolen, were lots of Výbohovci. This is probably unimportant, but there were two nearby villages Vígľaš and Zvolenská Slatina. In both lived Výbohovci, and they were rivals, cause they were just far relatives – like two different families with same name. My family is from Zvolenská Slatina, but grandpa moved to Vígľaš so he could marry my grandma.

In Vígľaš there is an old grave from end of 19th century. It has epitaph, or how is it called, written in some funny mix of Slovak and Polish, which sounds more Slovak. There is a name Wýbo(c)h on it. I can't remember if it was Wýboch or Wýboh, but one of those definitly. With Ý.

Anonymous

I need Help my Last name is Cenaiko it was originally Canayka or Canajka.  Canayko Canajko then Changed to Cenajko then Cenaiko in ukrainian its Ценайко but my family spells it Сенейко do they sound the same my family originates from the village of Czystohorb / Chystohorb in Sanok Poland . Were Rusyn . Wondering why its spelt Senejko , Seneyko and not spelt Cenayko or Cenajko ценайко , Сенейко . Do they sound the same and what does it mean.

Thank you

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • kony97
  • 'las
  • Tujev
  • Fia