• This topic has 3 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, can you help? I’ve got told that ‘Bernatowicz’ is a Polish surname of Rusyn/Ruthenian origin. Thanks

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

Bernatowicz is a Germanic/Slavic mix surname. It derives from Germanic “Bernhard” which means “Bear” + “hard” while the “wicz” part is Polish (or Slavic in general) and it means “son of”. Thus the surname meaning is son of Bernhard.

There is over 1172 people in Poland with Bernatowicz name. As for Rusyn/Ruthenian origin, it has the same meaning and same origin. 

Anonymous

So does this mean that I possibly have Germanic heritage? Thanks for the reply 

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

Yes and no, you never know why one of your ancestors got such surname or changed to it. Maybe he was Slavic but during the population listing he got a Germanic variant of surname because Germanic cultural influence on the area in given time. (in comparison Ottoman language and surnames among south Slavs due to invasion and cultural influence of the time). So it could be million of life stories how one got to it. 

Anonymous

However, I also heard that the surname might be of Sorbian/Wendish origin. What do you think?

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

Well given the fact Sorbs/Wends have a heavy degree of intermixing with Germans and many also Germans having Slavic roots all these Germano-Slavic mixing certainly could have resulted in such a surname, wouldn’t you agree?

Anonymous

So that’s a yes?

Anonymous

In Croatia you have surname Bernatović, mostly in Slavonia. According to some, Bernatović is Croatized surname of Hungarian Bernat, Bernath etc. which derives Bernard, which derives from… @Perun  explained :D @Bartkowiak maybe you should look for some “Hungarian” connections…

Anonymous

Ah, well my family did come from Eastern Poland/Galicia. Which did belong to Austro-Hungary. Who knows?

Anonymous

Here you go, maybe that is the answer, but i think “who knows” is much appropriate.

Anonymous

Could it also be of Catalan/French origin? It’s a popular first name there.

Anonymous

Ignore my previous post. I heard that I could have Slovenian roots though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Симеон
  • 'las
  • БЕЗНОГNМ
  • Piachu
  • Drizzt
  • kony97