• This topic has 9 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin has responded to the initiative voiced by Polish historian and journalist Ziemowit Szczerek and proposed discussing the possible introduction of the Latin alphabet in Ukraine simultaneously with the Cyrillic alphabet.

“Today we talked with representatives of the Central European countries about the fate of the region and Ukraine’s role in the Central European community. The parties included journalists, writers, and former politicians. The discussion was deep and necessary. In a friendly conversation historian and journalist from Poland Ziemowit Szczerek asked why Ukraine cannot introduce the Latin alphabet simultaneously with the Cyrillic alphabet,” Klimkin wrote on his Facebook page on Monday, March 26.

At the same time, Klimkin stressed the need to work on “what unites, rather than splits us.”

“On the other hand, why not discuss this issue? What is your opinion about this? I expect interesting comments,” the minister said.

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/494817.html

Anonymous

honestly I think it would be a very practical initiative, but at the same time if Ukraine does this; I think to much of the orthodox world they will seem like sell outs. Maybe later down the road, right now its probably not the best time to do something like this. 

Anonymous

@Karpivna What’s your opinion about it? I’d also like to hear @saltycola ‘s opinion.

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” Latin would make it easier for other Europeans to communicate with Ukrainians, right? OTOH, I would hate to see the destruction of Cyrillic. I don’t see a problem with a dual system, though. 

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis”

Belarusians had Latin alphabet for a long time. Latin was official alphabet., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_Latin_alphabet

We celebrated Catholic Christmas since 1991, because we have a sizable Roman Catholic population in western Belarus. It ‘s a public holiday to these days. No-one talked about it, unlike Ukrainians for whom it seems to be an achievement in recent times.

Can I say one more time that Ukrainians are Africans of Europe , who are in trouble? Russians, Americans, Europeans are experimenting with them. :)

The West wants to have Black Sea  to be interior in NATO. Russia wanted it too. No-one cares about Ukrainians.

Karpivna posted a certain Ukrainian of Kharkiv who won Field’s medal. There are brilliant Ukrainians. Ukrainians living in Kharkiv, Kyiv. There are some.

Modern Ukrainians (90%) are poor and ill-educated.

Read @saltycola ‘s comments. She can’t write a sentence expressing her own opinion. Sorry @saltycola .

Anonymous

@Sviatogor

Modern Ukrainians (90%) are poor and ill-educated.

How is that so? I always thought modern Ukrainians are well educated

Anonymous

@Karpivna if by other Europeans you mean western Slavs then yes.

If they ever do it I just hope they will model it after Slovak latin script, not Polish, we really don’t need two languages where szczo would be ok.

Anonymous

@Shaokang

> How is that so? I always thought modern Ukrainians are well educated

I always thought so myself. Apparently, they are not since 2000s. I know about Ukrainians and Ukraine plenty.

Anonymous

I don’t mean Ukrainians are stupid. It’s their system of education, healthcare and whatnot.

Their leading University in Kyiv is always among top 10 in former republics. Kharkiv remains to be a research city in our eyes.

Anonymous

It could be that Ukrainian industries deteriorated to be some sort of cheaper repair centers and as result Ukraianian education dropped too (especially in terms of engineering). It just happens to be the case for my country.

Anonymous

For Ukrainian, Latin alphabet is not optimal.  There are simply so many ways to transliterate Ukrainian, Russian, Belarusian, and as a matter of fact, and language that doesn’t normally use the Latin alphabet.  I already use Polish orthography when I do transliterate (I don’t know why, it just makes sense to me not to use the hačet), mainly because “Х” looks so ugly as “Kh”, better to use “Ch”.  I also somehow love the sz, cz, and szcz.  Lots of beauty there, I know.  “Ę” is perfect for “Є” and “Ï” may as well stay, it works, it exists already in Latin script for I believe Turkish, though I’m not sure.  Even so, the Latin alphabet is simply not needed when an alphabet that already exists and is optimal, as well as being in use, is there.

Anonymous

@MikhailA try š, č, ie and ji. 

Anonymous

@MikhailA 

I already use Polish orthography when I do transliterate

Z kaluže do blata.
    I have a problem with CH, DZ and DŽ when it comes to Slovak. And of course Q, X and W are ugly too. But they’re used only in loanwords. Other letters represent the language properly. There are way more inconsistencies in Polish and languages with Cyrillic WS.

Anonymous

I studied Russian (mostly by myself). As an outsider with probably (little) Slavic roots ( ИКАЧ , is the familyname, that I research), am I am against the idea of mister Klimkin and others. Cyrillic is not difficult to learn. Every Slavic language should be in Cyrillic. For the pronunciation and learning of Slavic languages Cyrillic writing is a must. 

Anonymous

We also had a politician that proposed the introduction of Latin. It  was a controversial initiative that polarized society – some wanted him tarred and feathered while others preferred him boiled and gutted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.