• This topic has 4 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Kuyavia was a feudal state of Eastern Slavs along Dnipro, centered around Kyiv. It was first mentioned by Arab geographers in the 9th and the 10th century along with similar states Slavia and Artania. I would be thankful if anyone could tell me more about this, since some believe that Kuyavia was the cradle of Ukraine. So far my research on this topic was not successful, all I found is more or less the same information written above. I didn't find anything more, neither in Ukrainian nor in English nor in Russian.

Anonymous

Think that those Persian and Arab geographers are only historical sources about this ancient Slavic lands.

Anonymous

The name Kuyavia/Kuyaba/Kuyabia sounds very close to the name Kiev/Київ/Kyiv.  ;)
    I guess there is a connection between this early state and the city of Kiev.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The name Kuyavia/Kuyaba/Kuyabia sounds very close to the name Kiev/Київ/Kyiv.  ;)
    I guess there is a connection between this early state and the city of Kiev.

Some historians even think that "Kuyavia" is just a mispronounciation of Kyiv.

Quote:
    Think that those Persian and Arab geographers are only historical sources about this ancient Slavic lands.

Yea. As far as I know the Primary Chronicle does not mention them.

Anonymous
    Quote:

I think this is a very plausible option….

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

I think this is a very plausible option….

Well, maybe it is, maybe it is not. I will continue to research on this topic.

Anonymous

Kuyavia, or Kujawy, is also a region in Poland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kujawy

It is quite a ways away from Kiev, so I would guess that it is just a similar name. There is also a Minsk in Poland near Warsaw (Mińsk Mazowiecki), while the more known one is the capital of Belarus. A part of Warsaw, which used to be a separate town way back when, is called Praga, with the Czech capital often referred to as "Praga Czeska" by Varsovians.

There must be many more instances of similar sounding places around Slavic Europe. It goes to show how close we all are, whether we like it or not! ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:

I already knew about this. Can you provide any information about the name's background?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

I already knew about this. Can you provide any information about the name's background?

The name come from an old West Slavic Tribes called "Kujawianie" in Polish. I guess it would just be "Kuyavians" in Anglicized form. They were located and set up towns, grody, in what is now Kujawy. My guess is that they got absorbed with the Christianization of Poland. Though, as the region's name indicates, their identity didn't vanish completely.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The name come from an old West Slavic Tribes called "Kujawianie" in Polish. I guess it would just be "Kuyavians" in Anglicized form. They were located and set up town, grody, in what is now Kujawy. My guess is that that got absorbed with the Christianization of Poland. Though, as the region's name indicates, their identity didn't vanish completely.

Maybe they indeed have some connection to Ukrainian Kuyavia. Would be a topic worth doing some research on.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Maybe they indeed have some connection to Ukrainian Kuyavia. Would be a topic worth doing some research on.

If I am correct, Kievan Rus was set up, in the sense of an organized state, earlier than the Poland. Kievan Rus is 882 while Poland went from tribes to statehood in 966. Thus, my theory right now is that people from Kievan Rus went west and set up Kujawia in Poland. The name is simply an honor of Kievan Rus's legendary founder Kiy and the city of Kiev. Settlers continued to follow this trend all the way to the end of the colonial era – many cities in the US are taken from older European cities. The spelling discrepancy between Kuyavia and Kiev could be attributed to the lack of language standardization at the time.

But as you say, concrete research would be most interesting here. A way to end that lethargy.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

If I am correct, Kievan Rus was set up, in the sense of an organized state, earlier than the Poland. Kievan Rus is 882 while Poland went from tribes to statehood in 966. Thus, my theory right now is that people from Kievan Rus went west and set up Kujawia in Poland. The name is simply an honor of Kievan Rus's legendary founder Kiy and the city of Kiev. Settlers continued to follow this trend all the way to the end of the colonial era – many cities in the US are taken from older European cities. The spelling discrepancy between Kuyavia and Kiev could be attributed to the lack of language standardization at the time.

Your theory is exactly what I think is the most possible and logical explanation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Tujev
  • Nefario
  • kony97
  • Nexius