Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

BoboSmrade
    Participant
    @bobosmrade

Which standard, modern Slavic language has the most Slavic vocabulary, the most words which can be traced to Proto-Slavic? Which language has the least borrowed/foreign/loan/non-Slavic words?

In my opinion it is definatelly Croatian because of the Croatian linguistic purism, and then Slovenian or Czech. What do you think? Can you provide examples?

GLK
    Participant
    @glk

Interesting thread… Would love to know the answer to that.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

Serbian.

Miki Veliki Miki Ludi
    Participant
    @mikiveliki

Montenegrin. There is no even discussion about it.

Miki Veliki Miki Ludi
    Participant
    @mikiveliki

is this board dead? are you all bots? is the Slav thing out of fashion? does nobody care anymore?

Velka Opice
    Participant
    @velkaopice

It’s suuuuuper dead. It kinda happened as soon as they switched to a new forum.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

Yeah, the looks and feel of this forum is suboptimal in comaparison to the previous one.

Miki Veliki Miki Ludi
    Participant
    @mikiveliki

@shaokang

“Looks and feel”? That’s why it’s dead? Slavs survived Mongol hordes, Otomans, communism, etc. but now “looks and feel” of the internet forum is the problem?

Miki Veliki Miki Ludi
    Participant
    @mikiveliki

And what’s with all these names to the right that keep registering every 20 minutes? One would think it’s bustling with activity in here.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

They’re Facebook users, I’m guessing people who’ve liked Slavorum on FB automatically get such accounts here.

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

I’m working on a project for conlanging, where you’ll be able to build a dictionary with as many information as possible (etymology, declensions, tenses, etc). The first thing I’m gonna do when it’s finished, I’m going to build a dictionary for my native language, Slovak. It will show how many borrowed words it has.

We have a lot of borrowings of Greek and Latin origin, for which we also have Slovak synonyms (agrikultúra – poľnohospodárstvo; helikoptéra – vrtuľník; edukácia – vzdelávanie; etc). I think we can ignore these words.

There are some Slavic words I wish we had in our vocabulary, like kolo instead of bicykel, samochod instead of auto/automobil, dŕžava instead of štát and so on…

I studied Russian and Polish for a very short time, though I found them to be infested with many foreign words even for basic stuff like food, clothes, travel, etc. However, I don’t know the percentage of foreign words for the languages.

I don’t know the answer for your question and I doubt anyone has ever tried to do studies on this topic. It’s impossible to answer right now. We can only theorize.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

Interesting, most of your borrowed words examples are somewhat different in BG – we use agrikultura, but it’s usually zemedelie; we have both helikopter and vertolet (though that one has the same root as yours); we don’t have edukacia or anything like it and use only obrazovanie; we don’t have bicykel, but instead use both kolelo and velosiped; we use avtomobil, but it’s usually kola (the old word for cart); and, of course, darzhava is darzhava.

Of course, in the meantime, we can always compare examples in that Slavic dictionary site from the old forum.

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

@nikebg Some time ago I’ve mentioned that Czech and Russian share words that Slovak doesn’t have, but I couldn’t remember any words. Now I found one – dělat/делать. 😀 In Czech, agriculture is zemědělství (země + dělat), like in Bulgarian. We don’t have these words. If we had them, it would be delať and zemedelstvo.

Though looking at the word vzdelávanie, it looks like it could be based on the same root. 😀 But I think it’s based on word zdeliť/zdeľovať (to announce, to inform, to report…).

Meh, Slavic words and their etymology.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

@kapitan-denis
    We don’t really have “delat” in Bulgarian anymore though, at least not as a verb. The only remnant I can think of would be “delo” (a deed, both the legal one and the action one), in addition to the complex words like zemedelie, rakodelie etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

12 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • 'las
  • Jan Pat II
  • Piachu
  • kony97
  • Tujev