• This topic has 7 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right place, but here it goes.
    Over the past few weeks, I have been researching Serbian history, specifically paganism and Serbian traditions. This has made me want to learn how to speak and read better in Serbian.

Some background:
    I was born in Belgrade, but raised in Australia from the age of about 15 months. Although I speak Serbian at home with my parents sometimes, usually I speak English. I can understand most of what people say;(I don't quite understand certain words, but I can figure out what they mean). I can speak it, although not too well in my opinion. I taught myself how to read and write Cyrillic, but I don't think I'm quite proficient with it yet.

So here's my question; How can I, or really anyone else in my position, become proficient in the Serbian language?

Anonymous

Practice with your parents if you're still in contact with them.

Anonymous

Pozdrav imenjace =]

I guess it's just a matter of your will and motivation =]
    First of all, I really admire your decision to learn the language of your people.
    Here in Serbia I have a lot friends from Hungarian and Romanian families who don't want to learn the  languages of their people and I could never understand their decisions . You should definitely start using Serbian in conversations with people you know (if they know the language ofc xD ) .
    -Get some music you like in Serbian and learn lyrics =]
    -Watch some movies or series in Serbian language with subtitles in English.
    (If you like WWII themes you'll have the abundance of material to choose from  ;D )
    -Get some literature for learning Serbian.

Since Serbian is my native language, my opinion can't be objective enough but I guess you will pick up the language really fast.
    -You probably already know that Serbian spelling is super ultra uber easy xD
    – You can write in Latin script if you are not familiar enough with Cyrillic yet
    – Grammar will be the hardest part because it's quite different from English which is an analytic language.
    But there are some similarities  – linking verbs for example

Just to illustrate how quickly Serbian can be learned :
    During my first year of high school I had a Hungarian  roommate who barely spoke Serbian and he had only started learning it a few months before that. A year later he had rich vocabulary and he could converse perfectly if we ignore the typical accent xD

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have been researching Serbian history, specifically paganism and Serbian traditions.

Respect for that man!

I's a good topic. I'm a Pole but also want to learn Serbian. Few years ago I started with learning Serbian cyrillic script, so now I can read it with ease. I still lack of vocabulary and grammar…

So maybe we could start a topic with a Serbian lesson? Basic grammar (one post for a week) and Serbian word for a day. What you think about it?

Anonymous

Here we have speakers of almost all Slavic languages, I would even suggest that we can do that for every of those ,  I know there is already a topic like that for Slovak language =]

As for Serbian lessons, I will always gladly contribute  :)

Anonymous

So who will start? :D

Anonymous

I'm already preparing something for that right now =]

Anonymous

Why not do Serbo-Croatian? Learn four languages in the time it takes to learn just one ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Why not do Serbo-Croatian? Learn four languages in the time it takes to learn just one ;D

I think that everyone here knows that once you learn Serbian,Montenegrin ,Bosnian or Croatian you are officially a polyglot.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think that everyone here knows that once you learn Serbian,Montenegrin ,Bosnian or Croatian you are officially a polyglot.

Yeah, I guess so. But Croatian always stands out from the other three ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yeah, I guess so. But Croatian always stands out from the other three ;D

Well, they do have a couple or more of amusing neologisms =]

Anonymous

Anonymous

So it seems that the Slavorum's Language School is opened :)

Anyone would want to learn some Polish? (or even Silesian?)

Anonymous

Not a Serb but learning Serbian as I live here in Belgrade now for 3 years. Sadly I can only manage in shops and cafes. I cannot carry on a conversation if my life depended on it. :( I just stay so damned busy to focus on learning the language. But I'm game to help however I can in this process!!!  My Serbian boyfriend would love it if I spoke more Serbian, too. So would his mom and all of my Serbian friends. Hehe.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've decided I'm going to start reading some Serbian books and perhaps reading some Serbian posts on this forum.
    As for having Serbian lessons on the forum, I think it's a great idea. Thanks for posting that, Ингва.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • some slavic guy...
  • kony97
  • кошка
  • Nefario
  • slovborg
  • Glockamole