• This topic has 8 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[hr]

[size=16pt]Legacy of the Grand Župan Stefan Nemanja[/size]
    [size=12pt]Unifier of the Serbs, founder of the Nemanyids[/size]

[hr]

1.  LEGACY OF THE LAND
    2.  LEGACY OF THE BLOOD
    3.  LEGACY OF THE GRAVES AND THE BONES
    4.  LEGACY OF THE HEAVEN AND THE STARS
    5.  LEGACY OF THE LANGUAGE
    6.  LEGACY OF THE CHURCHES
    7.  LEGACY OF THE STATE
    8.  LEGACY OF THE REIGN
    9.  LEGACY OF THE BOOK AND THE LETTERS
    10. LEGACY OF THE NAMES OF THE SERBS

[hr]

[size=14pt]1. LEGACY OF THE LAND[/size]

[hr]

A nation, that doesn’t have its own land, cannot be called a nation…

Land makes the nation, my dear child.

A nation is not a flock of birds or a herd moving from the south to the north or from the north to the south landing on the ground to pick up the seeds or stop by to graze and drink water. The human hordes that still travel throughout the world in this way are not a nation. They become a nation after they settle and inhabit the fields, forests, rivers and lakes, seas and coasts.

Nations are still transiting through the Serb lands from one part of the world to another. Avars and Huns, Pechenegs and Cumans, and together with them, all the other nations that stormed through these lands as horrible torrents. But, child of mine, these floods had never became rivers. Only the trails of destruction were left behind them.

They were born at the one end of the world and died on another. They had never drank the water from the same well. They have never spent the night where they’ve spent the day. They have never passed the winter where they’ve passed the summer.

From the land they were passing through they had only the roads. The fields, forests, rivers and mountains, villages and cities belonged to the ones who lived there before their arrival and to the ones which survived after they left.

My dear child, those hordes can only become a nation when they are born and when they die on the same ground, when they start to sow and to plant, then harvest and gather and not only to take by force the fruits of the others from a land that belongs to the others.

Write this down, child of mine, for this people to remember, for this people that have in its destiny and blood only paths of migrations.

Write this down, child of mine, that the land as well as the woman belongs to the one who’s leaving the seed, to the one that impregnates and to whom she bears. Write the following down, my child: “The land cannot be abducted and taken as a woman on a wandering. If you desire the land to stay yours, you have to be present and stay present.”

The nations, which intrude ones country, to pillage, burn or destroy it, are not its masters. We have entered these lands a long time ago, to inhabit, farm and reign them.

Child of mine, we have been here for hundreds of years and still we didn’t calm the wanderers urge within us. We are everywhere. This nation bursts and bulges on every side as a young wine.

The land still cannot keep us, neither can we keep her.

Sometimes I fear my child, that we will disperse to some other, more solid nations and will be spilled like a water down the mountain to some foreign rivers and vanish in them as if we had never existed.

Never be separated from your land and never separate it by yourself.

Gather all of our countries and gather all in one country.

Never break apart from your land, never take land away from yourself or from another.

If a nation has a mother, then its mother is the land it lives on. The land bears and feeds us over and over again. The land is the eternal nurturer of the nation.

Take a good care of her my child and don’t you ever lose her. Kiss not only all of her fields and mountains, rivers and seas; but also every grain she bears, every clump of earth. You have to know my dear child that in this clump of earth which fits in a palm is all the land. That’s why you must take your land in your palms and never, not for any reason let her go, because only with this land in your hands, we are a nation; and without it, empty handed, nothing more than vagrants among the nations.

Addendum

[li][size=8pt]In 1857, while traveling across "Ancient Serbia", Alexander Fedorovich Gilferding (1831-1872), a Russian Slavist and travel writer of German origin, notes that "a Serb, wherever he might live – in Bosnia, Herzegovina, Dalmatia, Hungary, Principality of Serbia – has, besides a church, one great homeland, Serbian land, which is, to tell the truth, divided among many masters, but it exists as an ideal, as the land of the unified Serbian nation. He has his own oral tradition, folklore; he knows about Serbian Saint Sava, Serbian Emperor Dušan, Serbian martyr Lazar, bogatyr Kraljević Marko. His current life rests upon the foundations of his nation and it is permeated with the previous historical life of the nation".[/size][/li]

[hr]
    Next time: 2.  LEGACY OF THE BLOOD

Anonymous

[hr]

[hr]

1.  LEGACY OF THE LAND
    2.  LEGACY OF THE BLOOD
    7.  LEGACY OF THE STATE
    8.  LEGACY OF THE REIGN

[hr]

[size=14pt]2. LEGACY OF THE BLOOD[/size]

[hr]

And remember my child, the blood and the blood makes a nation.

The blood is eternal…

The blood of a newborn child is thousands of years old. The child is young, but the blood in his veins is that same old blood which flowed through the veins of his ancestors thousands of years before.

My blood, dear child, flows in your veins. If you hadn’t intended to go through your life on the spiritual wings; instead on the streams of flesh and blood, your blood would also flow in your children. But my dear one, you have your spiritual children and they will carry you to the depth of the centuries and to the remote times in head of you.

My dear child, as the great river flows through the gorges in the fields, such is the streaming of the blood through time, from one generation to another, from one century to the next one.

What is a man, but a small cup pouring the eternal and holy blood from one generation to another.

That’s why the blood doesn’t belong to one man… but to the nation. It is never spilled for one man but for the whole nation. And the times will come, when they will not ask “who you are, or what are you like” but whose blood you bear: Serb or Hungarian, Greek or Avarian. In such horrible times, when all languages are mute, the blood speaks in the language of all your ancestors and you will not be asked “who you are, or what are you like” but whose blood flows within you.

Children of mine, in the name of the blood and the spirit of mine, let there be no hatred towards the others blood and especially not towards the brotherly blood. The human blood is holy, and it flows in all of us from the same source. It was given to us by God, and our forefather Adam.

Do not spill others blood because it is from another tribe or a nation. But ferociously defend our blood, because it is the blood of our ancestors.

Never allow our blood to be spilled because it is Serb.

With peace into war and with war into peace.

With love into love, but with blood for the Serb blood.

Addendum

[li]

[size=8pt](Stefan) Nemanja (Old Church Slavonic: Стѣфань, Serbian: Стефан Немања, pronounced [ˈstɛfan ˈnɛmaɲa]  ; ca 1113 – 13 February 1199) was the Grand Prince (Veliki Župan) of the Grand Principality of Serbia (Rascia) from 1166 to 1196, a heir of the Vukanović dynasty that marked the beginning of a greater Serbian realm (he is the founding father of the Nemanjić dynasty).

He is remembered for his contributions to Serbian culture and history, being the founder of the powerful Serbian state that would evolve into the Serbian Empire, and the national church. He was the father of Stefan Nemanjić, the first King of Serbia, and of Saint Sava, the first archbishop of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
    [/size][/li]

[hr]
    Next time: 3.  LEGACY OF THE GRAVES AND THE BONES

Anonymous

Interesting thread! Thank you! :)

Anonymous

@Cevetinov- I would say your Grand Zupan Stephan Nemja was a lot more intelligent than most of th People who start countries.  Please post more about the man.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    @Cevetinov- I would say your Grand Zupan Stephan Nemja was a lot more intelligent than most of th People who start countries.  Please post more about the man.

"Legacy of the Grand Župan Stefan Nemanja" is literary work of writer Mile Medich, those are not authentic words of  Stefan Nemanja.
    And yes, Grand Župan was wise, brutal medieval ruler who has usurped the weak, legal authority of the Serbian king, and found dinasty that will rule over Serbs for 200 years.

Anonymous

[li]"Legacy of the Grand Župan Stefan Nemanja" is a fictional literary work by an author and linguistic expert Milan "Mile" Medic, who based it on the research of the archives of

Hilandar on the holy mountain Athos.[/li]

It came to great prominence, by exact depiction of the very essence of Serbdom (srb. Srpstvo), an early type of patriotism or solidarity of the Serb people that is distinguished from nationalism, a term which was coined later in the 18th century, by lack of a political agenda and absence of antagonistic or aggressive attitudes. Even though it is based on the archives of St. Simeon (lord Nemanja) and his son St. Sava (Rastko Nemanjic), the work is known for surpassing his author to such an extent, that most people believe that the medieval lord Nemanja, wrote it himself.

Anonymous

[hr]

[hr]

1.  LEGACY OF THE LAND
    2.  LEGACY OF THE BLOOD
    7.  LEGACY OF THE STATE
    8.  LEGACY OF THE REIGN

[hr]

[size=14pt]3. LEGACY OF THE GRAVES AND THE BONES[/size]

[hr]

The graves, my dear child, the graves and the bones make a nation.

Those who are not aware of their graves and their bones can never become a nation. They are more wolves and foxes that die without a grave, than men.

The graveyards, my child, are silent villages under the ground, inhabited by our deceased. Silent beds are their graves in which the bodies of our ancestors sleep, resting in eternal peace.

Not only the living ones, walking and creating upon the earth, form a nation, but each and every one of the dead as well, resting inside her. Because without the most insignificant and unnamed one resting down below, there wouldn’t be the most important and renowned one walking above. 

One harvest does not make a field, nor does one generation make the people.

One swath does not make a meadow, nor can it be destroyed by one mowing. What is a swath for a meadow; that is war or a plague for a nation.

The nation grows in waves and falls in mows of death as grass, but at the same time it grows thicker and thicker through the ground and flourishes with new generations.

Remember, my child, our graves are the holiest marks of our nation and the holiest boundaries of our fatherland.

If the living cannot give you the answer to the question, what is the reach of your land and heritage, search for the bones and the graves, and the dead will tell you the truth.

Addendum

[li]

[size=8pt]Nemanja was born around the year 1113 AD in Ribnica, Zeta, in the vicinity of present day Podgorica, capital of Montenegro. He was the youngest son of Zavida, a Prince of Zahumlje, who after a conflict with his brothers was sent to Ribnica where he had the title of Lord. Zavida (Beli Uroš) was most probably a son of Uroš I or Vukan I. As western Zeta was under Roman Catholic jurisdiction, Nemanja received a Catholic baptism.

After the defeat of Nemanja's kinsmen Đorđe of Duklja and Desa Urošević and the exodus of that branch of the Vojislavljević family by the Byzantines, Zavida and his family went to the hereditary family estates of Rascia. Upon his arrival in Ras, the capital of Rascia, Nemanja was re-baptised in the Eastern Orthodox Church, in the Church of St. Apostles Peter and Paul which was an episcopal see.
    [/size][/li]

[hr]
    Next time: 4.  LEGACY OF THE HEAVEN AND THE STARS

Anonymous

[hr]

[hr]

1.  LEGACY OF THE LAND
    2.  LEGACY OF THE BLOOD
    7.  LEGACY OF THE STATE
    8.  LEGACY OF THE REIGN

[hr]

[size=14pt]4. LEGACY OF THE HEAVEN AND THE STARS[/size]

[hr]

Certain things cannot be done on earth, but a man and a nation cannot be without them, or if they can, they are neither man nor a nation.

Certain things cannot be plowed, by the blacksmith forged, become covered with leaves in the woods, dreamed within a dream, told by the tongue, attained by the mind, killed by the sword, within a story told.

Certain things cannot be done at the earth at all.

Moreover, every man has its own sky over his head, every nation its own heaven. There is everything they do not have on earth.

There is, my child, everything that in the field cannot be grown, by the blacksmith be forged, come covered with leaves in the woods, burned in the fire, dreamed within a dream, told by the tongue, nor attained by the mind, not killed by the sword or within the story told.

There is everything what is not here. All is possible, but not all know nor do they see.

That can only be seen by the prophets and clairvoyants, astronomers and astrologers, heroes and sages, lunatics, martyrs and lucky men, the wizards of the skies; those who have the knowledge of ascending earth to the heavens, ВОЗНЕСУТ ЗЕМЉУ ДО НЕБЕС, AND WHO HAVE THE POWER TO BRING DOWN THE HEAVEN ON EARTH.

Those are people that can open skies.

Above us is everything we do not possess, everything we are waiting for.

Remember well, my child, that a man's body exists on earth, but his soul lives in the sky, in the same way the body of a nation is the one of the earth, while its soul belongs to the heaven.

The nation exists between its heavens and its graves.

Addendum

[li]

[size=8pt]Saint Sava (Serbian: Свети Сава, Sveti Sava, pronounced [sʋɛ̂ːtiː sǎːʋa], also Saint Sabbas; 1174 – 14 January 1236) was a Serbian Prince and Orthodox monk, the first Archbishop of the autocephalous Serbian Church, the founder of Serbian law and literature, and a diplomat. Sava was born Rastko Nemanjić (Растко Немањић, pronounced [râstkɔ nɛ̌maɲitɕ]), the youngest son of Serbian Grand Prince Stefan Nemanja (founder of the Nemanjić dynasty), and ruled the appanage of Hum briefly in 1190–1192. He became a monk in his youth, receiving the monastic name Sava (Sabbas), subsequently founding the monasteries of Hilandar on Mount Athos, and Žiča. In 1219 he was recognized as the first Archbishop of Serbs, by the Patriarch of Constantinople, and in the same year he authored the oldest known constitution of Serbia, Zakonopravilo, thus securing full independence; both religious and political. Sava heavily influenced and prospered Serbian medieval literature.
    [/size][/li]

[hr]
    Next time: 5.  LEGACY OF THE LANGUAGE

Anonymous

[hr]

[hr]

1.  LEGACY OF THE LAND
    2.  LEGACY OF THE BLOOD
    7.  LEGACY OF THE STATE
    8.  LEGACY OF THE REIGN

[hr]

[size=14pt]5.  LEGACY OF THE LANGUAGE[/size]

[hr]

[size=11pt]Guard your language like your soil, my child![/size]

The word can be lost like a city, like a land, like a soul and what is a nation if it loses all that?

[size=11pt]Do not talk with foreign words! [/size]

If you do, know that you have not seize it, but that you alienated yourself. Better to lose the greatest and the strongest city in your land than the smallest and the most insignificant word of your language.

Swords are not the only arms to conquer the countries and lands, languages are too. Know that your enemy conquers you by the quantity of the words he spreads among your folk.

When the nation loses its words, it is no longer a nation.

There are illnesses my child that attack the language like an infection does the body. I can remember those illnesses and foolishnesses. Oftentimes those things are happening at the edges of our lands at the points of contact, where one language rubs another.

Two nations, my dear, can fight and reconcile. Two languages can never reconcile. Two nations can live within greatest peace and love, but their languages can only fight. Whenever two languages meet and mix, they are like two armies in a battle for death and life. If both can be heard, the battle is equal; when one starts to overpower, that one will prevail. At the end, there is only one to be heard and the battle is over, one language vanished, one nation lost.

That battle between languages doesn't last for a day or two, like battles between armies, nor for a year or two like wars between people, but a century or two; and for a language that is a tiny measure in time, like a blink of an eye for a man. Therefore it is much better to lose all battles and wars than to lose your language. If the language is lost so is the nation.

A man learns his language in one year and remembers it as long as he lives. The nation remembers its language as long as it exist. A foreign language is learned in one year as well. That is the time needed to give up his own and accept the foreign. That is the illness and the peril of a language, when one man starts to give up his own and accepts a foreign one, no matter if that is by his own will or to be obliged to.

Even I have been using the language as the most dangerous weapon in my battles. Even I have been releasing the illnesses and perils onto their languages. During sieges and long after, I have been sending herdsman, peasants, artisans and vagabonds to flood their cities and villages as servants and slaves, merchants, bandits, libertines and promiscuous women. I have conquered more by language than by sword.

Be aware of those speaking different languages. They arrive quietly, you do not know when and how. They are bowing at every step. For not knowing your language, they are docile and fawning like dogs. You can never know of their ambitions, for they are mostly silent. The first ones come to investigate the situation, to inform the others, and before you know it, here they are, they crawl over the night in constant rows like ants.

Until you awake surrounded by a mob of people speaking different languages from all sides.

You are too late in finding out they are not mute; they have their own language, songs, dances and rites. They are becoming louder, they are not pleading and begging but asking for more and grabbing it out of your hands. You are standing on your own soil but in a foreign country. All you can do is to drive them away, or for you to run away, whatever seems more possible.

A land conquered this way cannot be held with an army, cause the others will come to take what their language already has won.

Language is harder than any bastion, my child. When all your bullwarks and fortresses are broken do not desperate but listen to what is going on with your language. If the language remains intact, you do not have to worry. Send spies and merchants deep into the villages and cities to observe. Where our word echoes and revolves like gold coins, there our country still exists in spite of their rulers. Emperors are changing, states collapsing, but the language and the people stay. In such way our people will overcome the hardest of times and be rejoining some day with its language and its nation.

Remember well that a defeat or a secession is not of a danger for a nation as it is for a generation. It can harm only one generation but never the whole of the nation. Sooner or later people will be rejoined as water when the artificial dams burst that separate them. That water is our language, equal and same from the both sides of the dam, quiet and powerful it will reunite our people in one land and one nation.

Personal note

[li]

[size=8pt]This part of the literary work holds the most highest value, it is the description of the obligation we as a nation have to our language. After almost a century and a half after the liberation of our lands from the foreigners we yet have to achieve the resurrection and purification of our, now desecrated, language. Every foreign word they spread within our uneducated folk that has a counterpart in our sacred language has to be canceled from our literary tradition. We cannot await that our generation as well as the generation before us will use the language that is rightfuly ours, for unfortunately not knowing it anymore, but it is our duty to teach our children, for that they children and the future generations resurrect our holiest of legacies, our language.
    [/size][/li]

[hr]
    Next time: 6.  LEGACY OF THE CHURCHES

Anonymous

[size=12pt]In addition to the chapter 5. LEGACY OF THE LANGUAGE[/size]

An interview with Milan Medic, the author of the Legacies, about the state of the Serbian language.

Mile Medic about the Serbian language

Anonymous

I can add this on the matter:

Chefs of linguistic departments in Sarajevo, Zagreb and Belgrade, are debating about the language in the region, it's nationalization, and the persecution of Serbian words from the Bosnian and Croatian, by their quasi nationalist biased linguists. Very interesting topic… I'm wondering if the Polish, Czechs and the Slovaks will understand it, as our languages are directly related.  :)

Kontekst: Razlike između jezika u regiji

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Chefs of linguistic departments in Sarajevo, Zagreb and Belgrade, are debating about the language in the region, it's nationalization, and the persecution of Serbian words from the Bosnian and Croatian, by their quasi nationalist biased linguists. Very interesting topic… I'm wondering if the Polish, Czechs and the Slovaks will understand it, as our languages are directly related.  :)

Persecution of words? What does this mean?

Anonymous

"founder of the Nemanyids"

No wonder only Serbs name their sons Nemanja.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I can add this on the matter:

Kontekst: Razlike između jezika u regiji

Vredelo je pogledati, inače sam mislio da je Aljazeera "pro Bošnjačka" pa sam je izbegavao :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Persecution of words? What does this mean?

Did you even bother to look at the video before you've posted your comment?  ???

If you don't understand the language, I guess it's not of your busyness to get into a debate about a topic you don't understand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • кошка
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Nefario
  • slovborg