• This topic has 9 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

In just the latest of numerous indignities carried out against his image in the past two decades, a statue of Vladimir Lenin was discovered to be lacking a crucial piece of the historical figure's anatomy in the southern district of Orenburg this week.

"Emergency in Ponomaryovka! Unknown people have sawed off the head of the monument to V.I. Lenin!!!!!" a user posted Wednesday on social networking site VKontakte, attaching a picture of the decapitated statue as proof, Regnum.ru reported.

Unfortunately for the former proletarian leader, this is not the first time that his statue has been defaced.

The monument was beheaded once before in the 1990s, said regional Communist Party head Vladimir Novikov, who noted that monuments in several nearby towns have suffered similar fates.

The statues are generally made of plaster and impossible to repair, so local residents inspired to restore the revolutionary to his former glory must raise enough funds to erect a new one, Novikov said.

The ubiquitous Lenin monuments have faced hard times since the fall of the Soviet Union, with most post-Soviet countries having dismantled or destroyed them as soon as they achieved independence.

Within Russia the statues have come to hold a rather more ambiguous position. While they serve as a rallying point for the country's Communist Party and are looked on fondly by some residents, they are also frequently subject to petty acts of vandalism.

Alexander Kurdyumov, a State Duma deputy from the Liberal Democratic Party, proposed last year to have all monuments to Lenin removed from the centers of Russian cities. The idea received support from some United Russia members but was vociferously opposed by the Communist Party, Izvestia reported.

source: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/lenin-statue-beheaded-in-orenburg/488439.html#ixzz2iidYkfRi

Anonymous

Well, this subject is too political for my taste. I'm from a communist family, I was raised that way, and it's logical that I won't agree with this act of vandalism.

Anonymous

That was an act of vandalism and as an act of vandalism it should be treated. Destruction of someone's property should never be endorsed, be it a private or public.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Bad commies, bad commies…whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you…

I've got to get that song out of my head.  Seriously, though, I don't care either way :D  While I wouldn't really blame Lenin for the mess that followed, I can also see why a lot of people wouldn't want to look at his statue every day. 

Anonymous

I think they should sell it on eBay. I need one for my garden.  :P  Seriously, though, we actually have a few Lenin statues in America, both with head and without.  ;D  One famous headless Lenin is located in Las Vegas. This statue came from a zoo in Minsk, Belarus.

Headless Lenin at the Red Square Club, Las Vegas.

At Red Square club, the theme is regime—the entire club (including the “ice bar” where you can enjoy your chilled vodka basically inside a room-sized refrigerator) is styled to celebrate the 1989–1991 fall of communism in Eastern Europe and the dissolution of Soviet Russia. This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, with logoware t-shirts being sold proclaiming “Join the Party!” Even the name itself is a pun; literally, it references the famous area in the state capital of Moscow, and as an identity mark it’s literally a red square—a snappy nod to both constructivist and minimalist design.

Quote:
    Well, this subject is too political for my taste. I'm from a communist family, I was raised that way, and it's logical that I won't agree with this act of vandalism.

Have you received clearance from the minister for the regulation of internet activities to post on Slavorum?  ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:

Have you received clearance from the minister for the regulation of internet activities to post on Slavorum?  ;)

Oh, snap  ;D

Anonymous

Why not keep it beheaded? Adds more history to the town.

Anonymous
    Quote:

That was an amazing video, watched it five times :D :D

Anonymous

Maybe one day Russia will be rid of the retarded Soviet legacy and their subhuman degenerate art for once and for all.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That was an amazing video, watched it five times :D :D

Gorbachyov won that battle.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Maybe one day Russia will be rid of the retarded Soviet legacy and their subhuman degenerate art for once and for all.

Soviet art is great.

Alexander Rodchenko – Smashing the Mould – The Art of Russia BBC 4 Preview

Anonymous
    Quote:

Architecture is still awful though. It practically ruined eastern European historical urban centres and countryside.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Architecture is still awful though. It practically ruined eastern European historical urban centres and countryside.

Yes, the commie blocks look awful when they take up an entire town. But they can be renovated, and some look ok I think. The ones in Novi Beograd look ok, for example.

[img width=700 height=384]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/NoviBG_Jan23_2005.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yes, the commie blocks look awful when they take up an entire town. But they can be renovated, and some look ok I think. The ones in Novi Beograd look ok, for example.

[img width=700 height=384]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/NoviBG_Jan23_2005.jpg” />

LEGOs! 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • some slavic guy...
  • Nefario
  • slovborg
  • Glockamole
  • kony97
  • Tujev