• This topic has 14 voices and 81 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Lilium bosniacum is a lily native to Bosnia and Herzegovina. It’s also known as Zlatni Ljiljan (Bosnian for Golden Lily) and Bosanski Ljiljan (Bosnian Lily).

Description:
    Lilium bosniacum Beck ex Fritsch 1909 Section 3b Syn.: L. carniolicum var. bosniacum
    Bulb: ovoid, 6–7 cm in diameter, yellowish.
    Stem: 30–90 cm.
    Leaves: densely scattered, horizontal with tips curved upwards, narrowly lanceolate with slightly hairy margins.
    Flowers: 1–6 in a raceme, nodding, fragrant. Tepals strongly revolute, typical turk’s cap-shape, wax-like texture, yellow to orange WITHOUT spots, ~6 cm in diameter. Seeds delayed hypogeal germination. Flowering time ~July. 2n=24.
    Origin: Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The Golden Lily is a symbol of the Bosnian Kingdom, Bosnia and Bosniak people. It has been used in the Bosnian Kingdom on flags and coat’s of arms. The Coat of arms used by the members of the House of Kotromanić consisted of six golden lilies on a blue background with a white ribbon. After Bosnia and Herzegovina gained independence from Yugoslavia on 1 March 1992. Lily’s were brought back on the Bosnian flag. The flag of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina consisted of the coat of arms of golden lilies on a white background. Even though lily’s are also a symbol of Christianity, Bosniaks, who are in vast majority Muslims, use it as their symbol. It’s also used in mosques and on gravestones as decoration.

In 1998, after the protests of political representatives of the former Herceg-Bosna and Republika Srpska, the flag of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina was replaced. However, Bosniaks continue to use the coat of arms and flag with lilies in the appropriate cultural conditions, and on the coats of arms of some cantons and municipalities the lily is used as a symbol of Bosniaks.

The coat of arms with the Lilium bosniacum, a common symbol of Bosniaks:

Old Bosnian flag(1992-1998):

Modern Bosnian flag:

Anonymous

Hopefully one day we'll see the return of the Lilly on the Bosnian flag :)

Anonymous

I hope so too. Don't really understand why it was removed in first place. Old Bosnian flag is much cooler and has a stronger sentimental meaning then the new one.

Anonymous

Tvrtko’s arms was hijacked by Bosniaks, so Bosnian Serbs and Croats probably felt as though it was a sign of Bosniak dominance in Bosnia. I don’t see it as purely a Bosniak symbol, it’s both Bosnian and Bosniak.

Anonymous

I dont recognize this new flag of Bosnia although its realistic since it symbolizes our slavery to the European institutions.

The one with white background is good but I would add Slavic tricolor and a crown which would symbolize two things – statehood-sovereignty and return to the roots.

Anonymous

Yeah!

Anonymous

It would be nice to see the pan-Slavic strips horizontally or no, what instead of horizontal blue, white, red combo we make like blue, white, black version to be all special sheeeiiit? ;D

Anonymous

Those are Estonian colours, and the stripes are already horizontal (sideways), do you mean vertical?

Anonymous

Yeah vertical…

And what’s with the hate against greater Bostonia?

Anonymous

Pan-Slavic colours vertically looks like the French flag.

Are you referring to the American city of Boston?

Anonymous

No, I am referring to the union of Bosnia and Estonia…

Anonymous

Estonians aren’t Slavic, and they hate Russians.

Anonymous

The simplest option is always the best option.

Anonymous

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Long live Bostonia!!!

Anonymous

PS
    Yellow triangle and stars are noth worth mention. Serbs and Croats completly ignore that flag, Bosniaks use it but I guess they prefer their war flag.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.