• This topic has 12 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Love is very important in our lives, so let's see how do Slavs call it in their own languages.

1. Love

2. I love you

Slovak language

Láska – the most used word for the love, it describes physical as well as spiritual love.

Ľúbosť – less used nominative describing explicitely spiritual love, especially between man and woman as the true, pure love.

Milosť – a word used rather in poetry.

"Ja ťa ľúbim." or "Ľúbim ťa." – I love you. There's no verb derived from láska, but this one derives from ľúbosť.

"Ja ťa milujem." or "Milujem ťa." – I love you, from the word milosť. Milovať sa s… means to make love with… in a physical way.

I like using the word ľúbosť, because it sounds so beautiful, moreover its meaning is pure, true and very strong.

Anonymous

1. Miłość.

2. Kocham Cię.

The noun is "miłość" and the verb is "kochać". Or "miłować" but it is rare.

But "laska" stands for something different here :D

Anonymous

Belarusian: каханне, любоў, любасць, міласць – kachannie, liuboŭ, liubasć, milasć

Liuboŭ has a general meaning of love such as love for homeland or people. Kachannie is а passiationate emotion in intimate context.

Ja kachaju ciabie (I love you) аbo ja liubliu svoj rodny horad (I love my hometown)

Anonymous

Silesian:

1. Miyłowanie

2. Miyłujã Ciebie / Cie

Nowadays przać is sometimes used for the word for to love, but it's still mostly used for to like; Polish przyjaciel (friend) is derivative of przać.

Anonymous

In Russian:
    Любовь (lubov') – love
    Я люблю тебя (ja lublu tebja) – I love you

:)

Anonymous

In Serbian: love = ljubav

I love you = Volim te (the verb comes from to want, like, desire)
    I kiss you = љубим те – ljubim te (which can also mean I love you)

Anonymous

In Macedonian:

Љубов (Ljubov)

Те љубам (Te ljubam)

This is without the pronoun Јас (Jas) – I. Те љубам also has a meaning of I kiss you, or something like that. Те сакам (te sakam) is also common used.

Заљубен (Zaljuben) is (fallen) in love.
    Води љубов (Vodi ljubov) means to make love

Interesting, I didn't know there are no cognates of ljubov with the same meaning in the west Slavic languages, minus Slovak. Apparently, Polish lubić and Czech líbit have slightly different meanings.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I love you = Volim te (the verb comes from to want, like, desire)

In Polish it means “I prefer you”.

Anonymous

Kinda offtopic but here's on sanskrit – 'lubhyati' (लुभ्यति).

Anonymous

Love in Slovenian is called ljubezen.
    If you love someone you say ljubim te or jaz te ljubim.
    But … :)
    In some areas (like mine) that -lj sounds awful to people and although you can say da si zalublen, you can't say lubezn or lubim te (as it sounds awful and wrong), so some rather say just rad te imam, which means "I like you" but can mean very high affection aswell.

I guess ljubezen is a word that you won't hear that quickly from a Slovene. ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Love in Slovenian is called ljubezen.
    If you love someone you say ljubim te or jaz te ljubim.
    But … :)
    In some areas (like mine) that -lj sounds awful to people and although you can say da si zalublen, you can't say lubezn or lubim te (as it sounds awful and wrong), so some rather say just rad te imam, which means "I like you" but can mean very high affection aswell.

I guess ljubezen is a word that you won't hear that quickly from a Slovene. ;D

Štajerc, ljubim te is not actually wrong or awful but i agree it sounds quite fulsomely (osladno) :) Drugače pa itak pravi pohorci rečejo punci samo kak bi te mazno :D

Anonymous

1. Love – lyubov, obich
    2. I love you – Obicham te or Az te obicham.
    Where are you, my love? – Kade si, lyubov moya?
    Nie se lyubime. – We're making love (physical contact).
    3. Vlyubvam se, zalyubvam se (archaic) – to fall in love
    Toy e vlyuben v onova momiche . – He's in love with that girl.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Milosť

This means "mercy" in Croatian,although it could mean "affection" in as you say "poetic" way.

"Ja ťa milujem."

This would be "I caress you"

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Štajerc, ljubim te is not actually wrong or awful but i agree it sounds quite fulsomely (osladno) :) Drugače pa itak pravi pohorci rečejo punci samo kak bi te mazno :D

No, ljubim te is correct, but it sounds weird. Lubim te would sound awful and wrong (leaving out the -j like in zalublen or lubica), that's why noone uses THAT, that's what I ment to say. :) Drugač pa itak, pravi kerlc ne nuca besed za to … ;D

Anonymous

In Macedonian there is yet another word for love, or more precisely – lover. It's либе (libe). It's usage is however almost exclusively archaic. Perhaps it is a direct loanword from German liebe, although I can't really imagine how it could possibly get so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Glockamole
  • Nefario
  • kony97
  • Piachu
  • slovborg
  • кошка