• This topic has 14 voices and 72 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

This is a thread dedicated to sharing and discussing historical coats of arms of Macedonia, modern national symbols of Republic of Macedonia, ethnic symbols of the Macedonians, modern coats of arms and flags of cities and municipalities in Republic of Macedonia (this should be the funny part  ;D ), but also common symbols associated with Macedonia and the Macedonians.

I'll start with the modern Coat of arms of Republic of Macedonia.

It doesn't actually follows the rules of heraldry. It can't be blazoned with a standard heraldic description and practically it isn't a coat of arms. However, it is still used as an official national symbol.

The official description of the arms is what follows.

The coat of arms of the Republic of Macedonia is composed of two curved garlands of sheaves of wheat, tobacco leaves and opium poppy fruits, tied by a ribbon decorated with embroidery of traditional Macedonian folk motifs. In the center of the ovoid frame are depicted a mountain, a lake and a sunrise. These devices are said to represent "the richness of our country, our struggle and our freedom"

This is virtually the same symbol adopted in 1944:

It has changed a bit however in 1946, when a more stylized version was introduced. After the fall of communism, unlike most former communist countries, Macedonia didn't change it's national symbol. A minor change was made in 2009, when only the red star, which is supposed to symbolize communism, was removed.

Anonymous

What about historical coat of arms of Macedonia? I like and I prefer it :)

Anonymous

Anonymous

imageimage

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Quote:

I'll start with the modern Coat of arms of Republic of Macedonia.

The official description of the arms is what follows.

The coat of arms of the Republic of Macedonia is composed of two curved garlands of sheaves of wheat, tobacco leaves and opium poppy fruits, tied by a ribbon decorated with embroidery of traditional Macedonian folk motifs. In the center of the ovoid frame are depicted a mountain, a lake and a sunrise. These devices are said to represent "the richness of our country, our struggle and our freedom"

This is virtually the same symbol adopted in 1944:

Is it true that the Mountain of the flag is Korab ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Korab

Mount Korab is also pictured in the coat of arms of the Republic of Macedonia.

If yes can some Macedonian explain to me what's the ideological significance of Korab for the Macedonians?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Originally, it was supposed to be Mount Pirin. At least on the 1944 emblem. However, after the dreams of "United Macedonia" fell apart it was "changed" into Korab due to political correctness.

I don't think there is much ideological significance of Korab. Apart that it was the highest peak in the country and (I think) second highest in whole Yugolsavia. Also, if the water on the emblem is river Vardar, its spring is in Korab. It's has something to do with communist ideology really, where the natural beauties are much more valued.

If any other mountain accept Pirin was about to be placed on a national symbol it should have been Šara. They are both equally present in the folklore.

Anonymous

I think for the same reason as Slovenia. Although there has been an argument which is higher since some people measured Korab's higher pick. For political reasons it might be hushed up  ???

Anonymous

Flag of interwar period VMRO

Flags of VMRO-DPMNE

[img width=700 height=350]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-arytsg5rTlQ/TzvhPpo6PtI/AAAAAAAALLw/BrWYEVHr4ew/s1600/%25D0%25B2%25D0%25BC%25D1%2580%25D0%25BE%2B%25D0%25B4%25D0%25BF%25D0%25BC%25D0%25BD%25D0%25B5.jpg” />

Anonymous

4-in-1 flag

Flag of independent Macedonia – March 2nd 1914 with Alexander's horse (Bucephalus), in the left top corner and sun in the right bottom corner over which is written "One Independent Macedonia".

Anonymous
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.