• This topic has 21 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Map of most popular “male names” in Slavic countries

Slavic Europe – Have you ever wondered which are the most popular names in Slavic countries? Yanko Tsvetkov did a research and found answer in this Wikipedia article. Unfortunately that wikipedia article looks like a mess so this is why a map display of that info a better choice.

Read the full story here

Anonymous

Jakub sounds funny, like some Abrahamic character from Bible :D

Anonymous

“there’s a big chance you’ll meet them”
    not quite, these names are most popular baby names, I think Dragan is the most common name in Serbia according to 2011 census. I know only two Lazars in my town, but I have three Dragans living in my street.

Anonymous

Most of this name are Jewish

Anonymous

Well, guess I am older – an Oleg, Dima, Roma, Pasha in Russia, definitely Dragan in Serbia. Uri and Ivan in Ukraine.

Anonymous

I just realized both my parents have Slavic names, while mine is Greek in origin. And in my country, concerning the grown-up males, 8 of the 10 most popular names also seem to be Greek in origin (the other two being Jewish/Biblical). The highest ranking purely Slavic name seems to be №12 – Stoyan. Among the male newborns, in the top 10 we have 5 Greek, 3 Latin and 2 Jewish/Biblical, while the first Slavic one is either №12 (Boris, if we count it as Slavic) or №14 (Bozhidar). At least among the grown-up women we have 2 Slavic names in the top 10 (Rositsa and Desislava – 7 and 8, respectively)…
    I knew we’ve received a lot of Greek influence over the centuries, but I didn’t expect it to be this big. Can anyone share what’s the situation in the other South-Slavic countries, especially Serbia and Macedonia?

Anonymous

These are the most common male names. Considering that statistically 52% of people are female it is quite possible that these names are wrong. But the major problem here is that the data is quite old. A new census in Croatia for example has a Lucija as the most widespread name, topping the here provided Luka which would anyway be topped by the female Petra in the 2009 data that was used.

Anonymous

This map is a few years old. In 2015 the most common male name given to newborns in Bosnia was Ahmed. You can view the rest of the names here: http://fzs.ba/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/m100.pdf.

Anonymous

Jamezdin is pretty common name Bosnia :)

Anonymous

Why is Vladislav not more popular?  :(

Anonymous

Here is by voivodeship division in Poland.

Anonymous

Lazar in Serbia ? (not that is not fairly common, but not that common), and not Slavic, rather Biblical.

As per 2014 research done by Statistics Institute of Serbia :
    Nikola je najčešće ime koje Srbi daju svojim potomcima. Posle imena Nikola slede Luka, Stefan, Marko, Lazar, Aleksandar, Filip, Jovan, Nemanja, Miloš i Dušan. Najčešća imena devojčica su Milica, Anđela, Jovana, Ana, Teodora, Katarina, Marija, Sara, Anastasija i Aleksandra, podaci su Republičkog zavoda za statistiku. (you can figure out this paragraph without translating it :) )

Usually I know 1-5 Nikola guys during work or school, unlimited amount of Miloš guys. And Ivana, Jelena, Milica, Ana, Marija are simply so omnipresent since forever.

Anonymous

Amar is not Slavic name.

Anonymous

@anna25 only Slavic name on this map is Vladislav.

Anonymous

@NikeBG Here in Macedonia it’s the Slavic who are more popular as far as I know, though Greek and Biblical names are found, but rare.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Glockamole
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • haver25