• This topic has 31 voices and 107 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Vasmer's Etymological Dictionary also doesn't really give a clue as to where Мыло or any kind comes from:

WORD: мы́ло
    GENERAL: укр. ми́ло, блр. мы́ло, цслав. мыло, сербохорв. ми̏ло, словен. mílo, чеш. mýdlo, польск., в.-луж. mуdɫо. Праслав. *mydlo от мыть. Эст. mugl, род. п. mugla, mogla заимств. из др.-псковск. *мыгло; ср. Оянсуу, Ееsti Kееl, 1922, стр. 139; Фасмер, RS 6, 185; Ееsti Kееl, 1938, стр. 164 и сл.; Калима, FUF 29, 87.

Basically, it only tells us that the word is derived from the proto-Slavic *mydlo which has a connection to the Estonian "mugl" and the Old-Pskovian *мыгло. (or at least, if I understood it correctly) :P

Anonymous

There are various Croatian dialects that preserve a possibly old Slavic word for some of these:

shoes –    postole / postoli (standard Cro. postolar – shoemaker)
    socks  –    bičve, holjevi
    pillow  –    blazina (standard Cro. blazinica – cotton pad)
    blanket  – ponjava

Opanak is an old fashioned tipe of footwear mostly made of leather… it's not exclusively Serbian as written by someone before, both the footwear and the word opanak can also be found in different parts of Bosnia, Croatia, as far west as Istria….

If a word is missing in one language, it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't exist in the proto language…and that medieval Slavs didn't know of the object it denotes… In English, village is a French loan word and town is native – does that mean that English people originally only lived in towns?  ;)

Anonymous

I know that Dalmatians often use vanjkuš and kušin for pillow, cipele came from Hungarian and old word for socks is nazuvke.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Opanak is an old fashioned tipe of footwear mostly made of leather… it's not exclusively Serbian as written by someone before, both the footwear and the word opanak can also be found in different parts of Bosnia, Croatia, as far west as Istria….

True opanke is also here. :D

Anonymous

I always like the name of Novi Sad but rarely anyone today knows what it means which is quite shameful.
    One TV host ,while talking about the city, translated the name as "New Now" because she didn't know that sad (with the long a) is an archaic word for a garden. It would be nice to reintroduce that word in our language and slowly dismiss the Turkish bašča and bašta.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I always like the name of Novi Sad but rarely anyone today knows what it means which is quite shameful.
    One TV host ,while talking about the city, translated the name as "New Now" because she didn't know that sad (with a long a) is an archaic word for a garden. It would be nice to reintroduce that word in our language and slowly dismiss the Turkish bašča and bašta.

Yes, the turkish influence really disfigured a part of south slavic words. If only someone would collect a number of arhaic words and bring them to present language.

Anonymous

Interesting stuff there. I didn't knew that before bout Novi Sad. Here sad or sadež means fruit. :D

sad -u m, prvi pomen stil. sad -a (a)

1. užitni del rastline, ki sestoji iz semena
    in osemenja.

You can also say for example; sadovi tvojega dela which means fruits of your labour, etc.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    One TV host ,while talking about the city, translated the name as "New Now" because she didn't know that sad (with the long a) is an archaic word for a garden. It would be nice to reintroduce that word in our language and slowly dismiss the Turkish bašča and bašta.

We use dvorište or vrt more often, beside why would we throw out some Turkish words? No need for that, we're not ashamed of this. Word sad still means garden, but its not really much used in modern speech

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Interesting stuff there. I didn't knew that before bout Novi Sad. Here sad or sadež means fruit. :D

sad -u m, prvi pomen stil. sad -a (a)

1. užitni del rastline, ki sestoji iz semena
    in osemenja.

You can also say for example; sadovi tvojega dela which means fruits of your labour, etc.

Sad or zasad also means plant  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:

Vrt is rarely used here and it usually reserved for big gardens.
    Maybe it sounds weird and "unnatural" but our language already had one wave of linguistic purism, if it weren't for that  we would still have the avlija instead of dvoriste , ambrel instead kisobran, penzeri for windows etc.

It would be nice to "update" the language once again, right now it looks like one polluted river.
    It shouldn't  be anything extreme , but we could return those words which are almost forgotten but still used instead of foreign ones.
    One can easily turn on the TV and hear what kind of language is used even in the media.
    I can understand why would a Serb or a Croat in USA use "Serblish","Crolish" speech , but there is no excuse for us here.
    And most of the Turkish words we have are not Turkish at all and are no longer in use even in their own language because they had had a huge language reformation.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Vrt is rarely used here and it usually reserved for big gardens.

Not at all. I hear people around here using vrt quite often and not in the context you mentioned

Anonymous

Something might be wrong with Zrenjanin and Novi Sad then xD

I've also read that in some places in Serbia people use "gradina" but I never heard someone saying such word :/

Anonymous

In croatian also exist some word that hide like original slavic, but they are not. ISTINA is persian word and means "oath" our original word have to be "pravica"
    ČEKIĆ is turkish word. our word for that tool iz KLADIVO
    ČELIK is turkish also. Our word is OCJEL
    BOCA (bottle) is italian FLAŠA is german. we will have to use STAKLENICA as most natural for our lenguage.

just few examples..

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In croatian also exist some word that hide like original slavic, but they are not. ISTINA is persian word and means "oath" our original word have to be "pravica"
    ČEKIĆ is turkish word. our word for that tool iz KLADIVO
    ČELIK is turkish also. Our word is OCJEL
    BOCA (bottle) is italian FLAŠA is german. we will have to use STAKLENICA as most natural for our lenguage.

just few examples..

nije li čekič mlat?

???

hammerhead shark-mlat

mlatit-zamlatit…itd

Nekažemo začekičat niti zakladit

Anonymous
    Quote:
    ISTINA is persian word and means "oath" our original word have to be "pravica"

Interesting here pravica is right (example; right to bear arms), justice. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Drizzt
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • Yung Slav
  • Piachu
  • kony97
  • 'las