• This topic has 4 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So, as the title says this is about my Axe, Shield and Helmet.

I would like to start with how I maked/got them:
    -Axe: My grandfather gave it to me. He gave me only head of the axe (blade or whatever it's called) and it was in bad shape because it is not used long. It was completely covered in rust and was not sharp. He told me that it's very old, he found it somewhere is old farm house that belonged to his father…So I cleaned rust as much as I could and sharpened it. I bought nice piece of hard wood and with help of my father I made the handle. So I guess I could say that I saved the life of that axe. I know that it doesn't look really Slavic but it does look old styled.
    -Shield: It's very small as you can see from photo. I used old planks that we had in garage and cut them in circle and connected them behind with another two planks (small ones). It is not like that round shield that we often see with metal parts on it because I could not get hands on better wood and metal parts. But I am planing to make full sized round shield! Runes on the shield are not correct probably since I don't really know runes I just used some that I finded on google and it's supposed to say ''Slava Rodu'' on that shield. And there is also kolovrat painted on it.
    -Helmet: It's Norman inspired helmet, a little bit larger than it's supposed to be but I like it. Father and his friend made it and I got them some tutorials to help with the making. It's not finished. I want to add sponges inside to protect head from that metal and to make it more comfortable (now its too big for my head).

I like all of these even if they are really not the kind of stuff Slavic warriors had. But it's all I can make for now. And it's done as remembering of my ancestors and their fights! Whenever I do something like it I have them on my mind along with old Gods.

There is something that I would like to ask you all. First is do you like it and what do you think about it ? And also, for the shield, if someone can post correct runes and some designes for shield because I want to paint it again.

I had much fun while I was making this and I keep it all in my room because I am proud of it. Слава Роду!

Anonymous
    Quote:

So, as the title says this is about my Axe, Shield and Helmet.

I would like to start with how I maked/got them:
    -Axe: My grandfather gave it to me. He gave me only head of the axe (blade or whatever it's called) and it was in bad shape because it is not used long. It was completely covered in rust and was not sharp. He told me that it's very old, he found it somewhere is old farm house that belonged to his father…So I cleaned rust as much as I could and sharpened it. I bought nice piece of hard wood and with help of my father I made the handle. So I guess I could say that I saved the life of that axe. I know that it doesn't look really Slavic but it does look old styled.
    -Shield: It's very small as you can see from photo. I used old planks that we had in garage and cut them in circle and connected them behind with another two planks (small ones). It is not like that round shield that we often see with metal parts on it because I could not get hands on better wood and metal parts. But I am planing to make full sized round shield! Runes on the shield are not correct probably since I don't really know runes I just used some that I finded on google and it's supposed to say ''Slava Rodu'' on that shield. And there is also kolovrat painted on it.
    -Helmet: It's Norman inspired helmet, a little bit larger than it's supposed to be but I like it. Father and his friend made it and I got them some tutorials to help with the making. It's not finished. I want to add sponges inside to protect head from that metal and to make it more comfortable (now its too big for my head).

I like all of these even if they are really not the kind of stuff Slavic warriors had. But it's all I can make for now. And it's done as remembering of my ancestors and their fights! Whenever I do something like it I have them on my mind along with old Gods.

There is something that I would like to ask you all. First is do you like it and what do you think about it ? And also, for the shield, if someone can post correct runes and some designes for shield because I want to paint it again.

I had much fun while I was making this and I keep it all in my room because I am proud of it. Слава Роду!

It's a woodsman's ax. A battle ax should be lighter, especially if it's a one hander. Even though you shortened the handle, it would still be uncomfortable to wield in one hand because of its thickness. Also, you cannot whittle it down much because the eye is meant for a thick handle. You could start with a smaller one-handed utility ax with an oval eye and grind it down and fit it with a custom handle about 75 cm in length.

Helmet looks pretty neat. Is this kit meant for re-enactment?
    The shield could use some reinforcement, especially around the rim.

Anonymous

IMO this look very nice. My sugestion regarding shield, maybe a bigger shield and i would not use runes because runes aren`t Slavic. Kolovrat is ok. Helmet is great, axe (bradva type) excellent, maybe lighter handle :D Once again very nice…
    Slava Rodu!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It's a woodsman's ax. A battle ax should be lighter, especially if it's a one hander. Even though you shortened the handle, it would still be uncomfortable to wield in one hand because of its thickness. Also, you cannot whittle it down much because the eye is meant for a thick handle. You could start with a smaller one-handed utility ax with an oval eye and grind it down and fit it with a custom handle about 75 cm in length.

Helmet looks pretty neat. Is this kit meant for re-enactment?
    The shield could use some reinforcement, especially around the rim.

I will see if I can find another, lighter axe head to make lighter battle one handed axe. When I do it I will get a longer handle for this one and make it two handed axe. But it's noth that heavy as it look. I can weild it fast, and with some practice I could be even faster…but I see your point.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    IMO this look very nice. My sugestion regarding shield, maybe a bigger shield and i would not use runes because runes aren`t Slavic. Kolovrat is ok. Helmet is great, axe (bradva type) excellent, maybe lighter handle :D Once again very nice…
    Slava Rodu!

Thank you! I will make bigger shield I just dont know where to get shield boss…What letters to use then ? What are called old slavic letters ? Anyhow, thank you again.

Anonymous

Very nice! As aaaaa suggested, a smaller and lighter axe head would be necessary if you wanted to participate in a battle. The handle length is fine, maybe a bit thick.
    Helmet style is good; you can attach a chain-mail sheet to those studs on the side to protect your neck, back and shoulders.
    Shield size is good, don't really need anything bigger or it becomes unwieldy, unless you have an umbo in the center so you can hold it with your hand. (Otherwise it's strapped to your forearm).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Very nice! As aaaaa suggested, a smaller and lighter axe head would be necessary if you wanted to participate in a battle. The handle length is fine, maybe a bit thick.
    Helmet style is good; you can attach a chain-mail sheet to those studs on the side to protect your neck, back and shoulders.
    Shield size is good, don't really need anything bigger or it becomes unwieldy, unless you have an umbo in the center so you can hold it with your hand. (Otherwise it's strapped to your forearm).

Thanks, I was thinking about adding chainmail but I don't know how to make it or where could I get it.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thanks, I was thinking about adding chainmail but I don't know how to make it or where could I get it.

you can order it from Interent. Guy from Roman legion (where i`m curently at work)  order a chainmail (4 of them) from Germany.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    you can order it from Interent. Guy from Roman legion (where i`m curently at work)  order a chainmail (4 of them) from Germany.

Could you possibly find that website from which he ordered it ? And how much would I have to pay for shippment in Serbia ? Send a PM if you find that website :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    … Roman legion (where i`m curently at work) …

Are you guys planning on conquering Gaul some time soon?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.