• This topic has 4 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So how do you interp these three words? What was original meaning? Narod is here often interpred as something specific not same as Anglo-saxon term nation. This Anglo concept of nation is here translated as nacija. I also noticed sometimes Narod has same meaning like ljudstvo (folk, people). Example Croatian Narodna stranka translates as People's Party. So i would assume originally narod had same meaning as ljudstvo.

General sense i got over it here most ppl identify ljudstvo as people in general regardless of origin, narod as group of ppl with common traits like language, culture, etc. and nacija group of ppl who developed their own state and share common citizenship regardless of tounge and culture.

So how do you precive this and what is most common interpretation in your place? :)

Anonymous

Narod when describing "people of specific nation (usually your own)" .
    Ljudi when just speaking of people regardless of nation/race/sex or whatever.
    Ljudstvo would be like a technical phrase, i.e. "manning the machine" etc. (not sure if right thought, we change grammar and stuff every 2 years lmao).

Anonymous

Narod is not necessarily the same people living within the boundaries of a single state for me. Narod is people of the same origins. People that have enough commonalities to label them as the same people. There's no comparable word in English for 'narod' imo
    Ljudi are people in a general sense. .
    Nation is a group of citizens of the same country. In some languages nation may mean ethnicity. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So how do you interp these three words? What was original meaning? Narod is here often interpred as something specific not same as Anglo-saxon term nation. This Anglo concept of nation is here translated as nacija. I also noticed sometimes Narod has same meaning like ljudstvo (folk, people). Example Croatian Narodna stranka translates as People's Party. So i would assume originally narod had same meaning as ljudstvo.

General sense i got over it here most ppl identify ljudstvo as people in general regardless of origin, narod as group of ppl with common traits like language, culture, etc. and nacija group of ppl who developed their own state and share common citizenship regardless of tounge and culture.

So how do you precive this and what is most common interpretation in your place? :)

Serbo-Croatian word narod is equal to our ljudstvo. Thatfor JNA (Jugoslovanska narodna armija) is JLA (Jugoslovanska ljudska armada) in Slovene. Slovene word narod isn't the same as theirs in its meaning, except in colloquial use sometimes.

In Slovene language, as far as I was told, narod means something like nation and nacija is narod with its own country. I understand ljudstvo as some sort of raja. You know, the predominant lower class, without the nobility/rulling class. Peansants and town folks … IMO it's an outdated term for today's times.

Have you been reading Cankar's Za narodov blagor? ;D If not, give it a try. Though it's boring as hell, you can see his differentiation between narod and ljudstvo in the first part (I haven't much further, gave it up …).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jan Pat II
  • кошка
  • Glockamole
  • slovborg
  • Piachu
  • jorgos