• This topic has 27 voices and 113 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Present your national heros, people who, by your opinion, done most for your nation.<br /><br />St. Sava (Prince Rastko Nemanjic 1169 – 1235), Serbian Archbishop of the autocephalous Serbian Orthodox Church, “ktetor, teacher, lawmayker, diplomat, protector of the poor”.<br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Sava<br /><br />Karađorđe Petrović (1768 – 1817), Serb leader of the First Serbian Uprising against the Ottoman Empire, geniuos military commander, “Grand Vožd of Serbia”.<br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara%C4%91or%C4%91e_Petrovi%C4%87

Anonymous

Ľudovít Velislav Štúr – the leader of the Slovak national revival in the 19th century fighting for the rights for the Slovaks in the Kingdom of Hungary, the author of the Slovak language standard, as well as a politician, Slovak poet, journalist, publisher, teacher, philosopher, linguist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ľudovít_Štúr

Andrej HlinkaOtec národa, a Slovak politician and Catholic priest, one of the most important Slovak public activists in Czechoslovakia before Second World War fighting for free Slovakia. A motion in the Parliament of Slovakia to proclaim him Father of the Nation passed in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrej_Hlinka

Anonymous

Josip Ban Jelačić

Stjepan Radić

Ante Starčević

those are in Croatia seen as absolute symbols of Croatian national identity, people that fought for Croatian national being.

thought for me, my favorite national hero, i don't know really…i never thought about it. 
    Probably someone like Nikola Šubić Zrinski

Anonymous

All honour to all other national heroes, but Nikola Šubić Zrinski was definitely the greatest man of his time. He is the ultimate hero and a symbol to new generations for never surrendering, no mather how outnumbered you are or how much the enemy is stronger. Great for you Pentaz for remembering and honouring him.

[IMG]http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/5451/42857745.jpg”/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbq4PXRiqTs#

Anonymous

I start with statesmen:

Mieszko I – Founder of Polish state in 966.

Jan III Sobieski – Greatest of Polish kings. Drove Turks not only out of Poland, but also Hapsburg Empire, partly saving Europe. Secured Poland as great power in Europe until his death.

Józef Piłsudski – Greatest Polish statesman. Crushed Red Soviet scum and drove them out of Poland, partly saving Europe. Secured Poland as strong regional power until his death.

Lech Wałęsa – Polish statesman whose Solidarność movement was key in ending communism in Poland and rest of Eastern Europe.

Now onto scientists:

Mikołaj Kopernik (part German) – Discovered than sun is centre of universe and not earth.

Marie Skłodowska Curie – Discovered radioactivity and pioneering research into nuclear physics.

And finally artists:

Fryderyk Chopin (part French) – Poland’s greatest composter.

Henryk Sienkiewicz – Poland’s greatest author.

Adam Mickiewicz (part Lithuanian) – Poland’s greatest poet.

And finally, religious figures:

Jan Paweł II – Was only ever Polish/Slavic pope and considered one of most influential popes ever. Beatified 1st May this year.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Jan Paweł II – Was only ever Polish/Slavic pope

Sorry for interupt, just to mention another pope of Slavic origin, pope Sixtus V, his father was from modern-day Montenegro, of Šišić or Svilanović family.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Sixtus_V

During his pontificate "the church of Saint Jerome in Rome was rebuilt to be used specifically for the people who spoke the Illyrian (ie. South Slavic) language. He also established a college of eleven Slavonic clerics…"

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:
    Jan Paweł II – Was only ever Polish/Slavic pope

Sorry for interupt, just to mention another pope of Slavic origin, pope Sixtus V, his father was from modern-day Montenegro, of Šišić or Svilanović family.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Sixtus_V

During his pontificate "the church of Saint Jerome in Rome was rebuilt to be used specifically for the people who spoke the Illyrian (ie. South Slavic) language. He also established a college of eleven Slavonic clerics…"

Ah, very interesting. I didn't know this. Thanks! Rep for you then!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ah, very interesting. I didn't know this. Thanks! Rep for you then!

No problem, Slawa!

Pope Sixtus V, Cardinal Priest of San Girolamo degli Schiavoni (St. Jerome the Slav)
    His crest

Anonymous

Maybe a little bit off topic, but when talking about popes and their Slavic origin, I'd like to mention a pope who were not of Slavic origin but he liked Slavs very much. It was Pius IX (Giovanni Maria Mastai-Ferreti /1792-1878/). He and his friend, a famous composer Franz Liszt arranged the great millennial celebration to commemorate the arrival of St. Constantin and Methodius to the Greater Moravia in 863. It was in 1863 and Franz Liszt composed the Slavino Slavno Slaveni thereat. It's interesting for many people that Franz Liszt refused to participate in the celebration of Magyar arrival to the Pannonia. He actually was not ethnically Magyar, but he felt like a Hungarian which didn't mean nationality but citizenship of the multi-ethnic Kingdom of Hungary (where Magyars never created even the half) – even Austrians understood this. Mother of Franz Liszt was an Austrian Marie Anna Lager and his father was a Slovak Adam Liszt. His grandfather was Juraj List – officially in this form – Juraj LIST, which means a leaf (that should know every Slav, 'cause it's common Slavic word) and his grandmother was Barbara Slezáková. They spoke Slovak, his father spoke Slovak, not Magyar and even Franz Liszt did not speak Magyar language. But on this great composer in another topic another time.. :)

Anonymous

Indeed, if we scratch deep enough, we will see that most of Europeans have Slavic origin. ;) Great report about Franc List!

Anonymous

Evpatiy Kolovrat (1200 — 1238) was famous Russian warrior against mongol invaders, one of the symbols of modern Russian NS:

Alexandr Nevskiy (1221-1263), was the Prince of Novgorod and Grand Prince of Vladimir, the defender of Rus against western crusaders:

Dmitry Ivanovich Donskoy (1350-1389), "Dmitry of the Don", the Prince of Moscow from 1359 and Grand Prince of Vladimir from 1363 to his death, the winer on Battle of Kulikovo:

Dmitry Mikhaylovich Pozharsky (1577 – 1642) was a Rurikid prince, who led Russia's struggle for independence against Polish-Lithuanian invasion known as the Time of Troubles. He obtained from Mikhail I of Russia the unprecedented title Saviour of the Motherland.

Peter I the Great (1672 – 1725), the founder of Russian Empire:

Mikhail Vasilyevich Lomonosov (1711 – 1765) was a Russian polymath, scientist and writer, who made important contributions to literature, education, and science. Among his discoveries was the atmosphere of Venus. His spheres of science were natural science, chemistry, physics, mineralogy, history, art, philology, optical devices and others. Lomonosov was also a poet, who created the basis of the modern Russian literary language.

Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev (1834–1907) was a Russian chemist and inventor of periodic table of elements:

Alexander Stepanovich Popov (1859 – 1906), was a Russian physicist, one of inventors of Radio:

[img width=349 height=448]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Popov.jpg/466px-Popov.jpg”/>

Vladimir Kozmich Zworykin (1888 – 1982) was a Russian-American inventor, engineer, and pioneer of television technology.

Mikhail Kalashnikov (born November 10, 1919) is the inventor of AK:

[img width=349 height=490]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Mikhail_Kalashnikov.jpg”/>

Sergei Pavlovich Korolev (1907-1966) was rocket engineer and spacecraft designer, the father of practical astronautics:

Yuriy Alekseyevich Gagarin (1934 – 1968). He was the first human being to journey into outer space, when his Vostok spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on April 12, 1961:

[img width=349 height=490]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44145000/jpg/_44145135_gagarin.jpg”/>

Yuri Dmitrievich Budanov (24 November 1963 – 10 June 2011) was one of the best Russian military officers in the Chechen war , convicted by ZOG because of execution of chechen sniper. He was killed by chechen moron at this summer:

Anonymous

Sviatoslav I. Ihorovych (935 – 972), Great Knjaz of Kyivan Rus who defeated the Khazars in the 960s and extended the territory of Rus through various other campaigns:

Volodymyr the Great (958 – 1015), Great Knjaz of Kyivan Rus who introduced Christianity and brought stability to the state. Under his rule, Kyivan Rus reached her zenith:

Petro Konashevych-Sahaidachny (1570 – 1622), leader of the Zaporizhzhian Cossack host and a brilliant military leader. His troops together with Polish forces defeated the Turks at Khotyn 1621 and defeated the Muscovian troops of Dmitry Pozharsky in 1618.

Bohdan Khmelnytsky (1595 – 1657), most notorious of the Cossack leaders and leader of the famous Cossack uprising. He ended Polish influence over Ukrainian cossack territories. Sadly he is also responsible for one of the greatest tragedies in Ukrainian history, the treaty of Pereyaslav which brought Ukraine under Muscovian rule for centuries.

Ivan Mazepa (1639 – 1709), Cossack leader who in alliance with Sweden hoped to end Muscovian rule over Ukraine.

Taras Shevchenko (1814 – 1861), greatest Ukrainian poet.

Lesya Ukrainka (1871 – 1913), Ukrainian poetess, writer and political activist.

Mykola Mikhnovsky (1873 – 1924), one of the fathers of Ukrainian nationalism.

Symon Petljura (1879 – 1926), leader of Ukrainian struggle for independence.

Dmytro Dontsov (1883 – 1973), Ukrainian nationalist and main influence for the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN).

Yevhen Konovalets (1891 – 1938), Ukrainian nationalist leader.

Stepan Bandera (1909 – 1959), Nationalist revolutionary and most famous Ukrainian nationalist leader.

Roman Shukhevych (1907 – 1950), commander of Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA).

Edit: Inserted better pictures of Petljura and Dontsov

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Sviatoslav I. Ihorovych (935 – 972), Great Knjaz of Kyivan Rus who defeated the Khazars in the 960s and extended the territory of Rus through various other campaigns:

Volodymyr the Great (958 – 1015), Great Knjaz of Kyivan Rus who introduced Christianity and brought stability to the state. Under his rule, Kyivan Rus reached her zenith:

I think it's not correctly to call them only "Ukrainian" heroes, they're heroes for all Eastern Slavs.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

I think it's not correctly to call them only "Ukrainian" heroes, they're heroes for all Eastern Slavs.

Konstanty Kalinowski is a national hero for Belarussians, Poles and Lithuanians alike but still he is an ethnic Belarussian first. Same with Sviatoslav and Volodymyr, they may be heroes for all Eastern Slavs but in first line they are Kyivans and I don't think I have to tell you where Kyiv is ;)

Anonymous

Yes it would be more correct to call ancient Kyivan princes as national heroes for all Eastern Slavs,  I hope you're not one of people who call them only "ethnic Ukrainians", becouse I never heard that those princes identified themselves as Ukrainians :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

6 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Glockamole
  • Fia
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Tujev
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • kony97