• This topic has 11 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

LONDON (Reuters) – Europeans are plagued by mental and neurological illnesses, with almost 165 million people or 38 percent of the population suffering each year from a brain disorder such as depression, anxiety, insomnia or dementia, according to a large new study.

With only about a third of cases receiving the therapy or medication needed, mental illnesses cause a huge economic and social burden — measured in the hundreds of billions of euros — as sufferers become too unwell to work and personal relationships break down.

"Mental disorders have become Europe's largest health challenge of the 21st century," the study's authors said.

At the same time, some big drug companies are backing away from investment in research on how the brain works and affects behavior, putting the onus on governments and health charities to stump up funding for neuroscience.

"The immense treatment gap … for mental disorders has to be closed," said Hans Ulrich Wittchen, director of the institute of clinical psychology and psychotherapy at Germany's Dresden University and the lead investigator on the European study.

"Those few receiving treatment do so with considerable delays of an average of several years and rarely with the appropriate, state-of-the-art therapies."

Wittchen led a three-year study covering 30 European countries — the 27 European Union member states plus Switzerland, Iceland and Norway — and a population of 514 million people.

A direct comparison of the prevalence of mental illnesses in other parts of the world was not available because different studies adopt varying parameters.

Wittchen's team looked at about 100 illnesses covering all major brain disorders from anxiety and depression to addiction to schizophrenia, as well as major neurological disorders including epilepsy, Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis.

The results, published by the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ENCP) on Monday, show an "exceedingly high burden" of mental health disorders and brain illnesses, he told reporters at a briefing in London.

Mental illnesses are a major cause of death, disability, and economic burden worldwide and the World Health Organization predicts that by 2020, depression will be the second leading contributor to the global burden of disease across all ages.

Wittchen said that in Europe, that grim future had arrived early, with diseases of the brain already the single largest contributor to the EU's burden of ill health.

The four most disabling conditions — measured in terms of disability-adjusted life years or DALYs, a standard measure used to compare the impact of various diseases — are depression, dementias such as Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia, alcohol dependence and stroke.

The last major European study of brain disorders, which was published in 2005 and covered a smaller population of about 301 million people, found 27 percent of the EU adult population was suffering from mental illnesses.

Although the 2005 study cannot be compared directly with the latest finding — the scope and population was different — it found the cost burden of these and neurological disorders amounted to about 386 billion euros ($555 billion) a year at that time. Wittchen's team has yet to finalize the economic impact data from this latest work, but he said the costs would be "considerably more" than estimated in 2005.

The researchers said it was crucial for health policy makers to recognize the enormous burden and devise ways to identify potential patients early — possibly through screening — and make treating them quickly a high priority.

"Because mental disorders frequently start early in life, they have a strong malignant impact on later life," Wittchen said. "Only early targeted treatment in the young will effectively prevent the risk of increasingly largely proportions of severely ill…patients in the future."

David Nutt, a neuropsychopharmacology expert at Imperial College London who was not involved in this study, agreed.

"If you can get in early you may be able to change the trajectory of the illness so that it isn't inevitable that people go into disability," he said. "If we really want not to be left with this huge reservoir of mental and brain illness for the next few centuries, then we ought to be investing more now."

(Reporting by Kate Kelland; Editing by Matthew Jones)

http://news.yahoo.com/nearly-40-pct-europeans-suffer-mental-illness-230827577.html

Anonymous

Well, well… Hungarians are genetically depressed, or have the tendency to be depressed… Look at their anthem for start… It is like funeral music… Not like at all… Second, you know Hungary's situation… It's debts, the low salaries and high prices… People suffering from a lot thing wich they cannot fight at all… The rest of Europeans I knot know, but guess life is easier almost everywhere in Europe…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, well… Hungarians are genetically depressed, or have the tendency to be depressed… Look at their anthem for start… It is like funeral music… Not like at all… Second, you know Hungary's situation… It's debts, the low salaries and high prices… People suffering from a lot thing wich they cannot fight at all… The rest of Europeans I knot know, but guess life is easier almost everywhere in Europe…

Could you please, only for once, stop bashing Hungary and Hungarians, actually stay on topic and contribute something of value?

Interesting article otherwise.

Anonymous

Lethargy and indifference are also very common symptoms, among more than just 40% of Europeans.

Anonymous

I am not surprised at all. First of all, some structures in power are always saying to people that everything is OK, that they live in prosperity but inner sense says otherwise. People are witnessing the collapse of society. Modern entertainment industry also has its fingers in it, Hollywood movies present ideal life which is not reachable for most humans on this planet. So called American dream is a very known fallacy. Human filth and trash are also promoted constantly, movies full of violence, slaughter, homosexuality and in which the main point is how to steal money to live happily forever after in Hawaii. Another thing is that everyday in news you hear things like " mine collapsed in China, 30 dead", " new hunger in Africa, children dying", " death", " flood", " terrorist attack", " global threat", " hurricane", " economic crisis" etc.
    When you work hard all day just to feed the children and pay bills and after work turn on the TV just to get you asleep and hear stuff like this then its no wonder that people are sick.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I am not surprised at all. First of all, some structures in power are always saying to people that everything is OK, that they live in prosperity but inner sense says otherwise. People are witnessing the collapse of society. Modern entertainment industry also has its fingers in it, Hollywood movies present ideal life which is not reachable for most humans on this planet. So called American dream is a very known fallacy. Human filth and trash are also promoted constantly, movies full of violence, slaughter, homosexuality and in which the main point is how to steal money to live happily forever after in Hawaii. Another thing is that everyday in news you hear things like " mine collapsed in China, 30 dead", " new hunger in Africa, children dying", " death", " flood", " terrorist attack", " global threat", " hurricane", " economic crisis" etc.
    When you work hard all day just to feed the children and pay bills and after work turn on the TV just to get you asleep and hear stuff like this then its no wonder that people are sick.

Very well said, I couldn't have put it in words any better.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Sign of the times. That is exactly how it is.

Anonymous

Sign of the times. That is exactly how it is.

Unfortunately. The world is a mess.

Very well said, I couldn't have put it in words any better.

Thanks ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:

I would only add that Slavic belief and value system efficiently prevent from becoming a mental case.

Anonymous

Very well said, Prelja. Even in deepest, darkest communism, mentality of people was not like it is now.
    I just wish more youngsters would see beauty in Slavodom, it's culture and traditions.

Anonymous

There are very wide limits and requirements to define any diagnosis nowadays. The aim is to have as many diseases/illnesses jumping from diagnostic process as possible, therefore increasing quantity of medicaments sold = higher gains for pharmaceutic industry.

It is all about business.

And no, nowhere 40% of Europeans suffer a mental illness.

Anonymous

BDS is no joke, but it is easily solvable ;D

All you need to do is to keep your pimp arm strong.

Bitch Dependency

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Very well said, Prelja. Even in deepest, darkest communism, mentality of people was not like it is now.
    I just wish more youngsters would see beauty in Slavodom, it's culture and traditions.

Teach me your ways, wise one…

I…shall listen.

Anonymous

The subject of mental illness is surrounded by mystery and fear. But today, we have made tremendous progress in our understanding and, especially in our ability to offer effective treatments. If we talk about America, one fifth of Americans suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder during any given year. One fifth of school-age children are also affected by these conditions.

One good solution i found is Meditation, it can make you mentally strong. Sometimes we get upset by little things. It is the nature of our mind to magnify small things into serious problems.Meditation helps us detach. We learn to live in the here and now, rather than worrying about the past or future. We do not worry about meaningless things, but see the bigger picture.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There are very wide limits and requirements to define any diagnosis nowadays. The aim is to have as many diseases/illnesses jumping from diagnostic process as possible, therefore increasing quantity of medicaments sold = higher gains for pharmaceutic industry.

It is all about business.

And no, nowhere 40% of Europeans suffer a mental illness.

I must say this is what's going on lately. I mean shit today everything is considered mental illness. Soon or later one of those wise guys will figure it out that anger towards the goverment is mental illness.  :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • jorgos
  • Jyxia
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • Piachu