• This topic has 10 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Should only high culture be shown in the media? In the West and most of the world the television usually has a lot of nonsense on it. Instead they can replace this with documentaries, philosophical/religious discussions, high quality dramas. In my view there should be no reality television. Music can also be uplifting and inspiring as opposed to buzzing sounds.

What are your thoughts? 

Anonymous

I don't think popular culture should be banned. There should be equal representation. Maybe having state-owned channels (or one) that promote high culture.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't think popular culture should be banned. There should be equal representation. Maybe having state-owned channels (or one) that promote high culture.

I pretty much agree with Svevlad, however, I do so hate reality tv. *shudders* It's just a realization as to how low humanity has gotten in my opinion. I definitely feel there should be more quality information provided. However, look at such channels that USED to be like that – History, Discovery, etc – and many of them discuss only a handful of topics over and over again. History Channel is probably the worst. And much of the information portrayed on these channels are quite biased and inaccurate. So there is much more to it than just what type of programs should be offered.

Anonymous

Gotta love Ancient Aliens,  that show makes me laugh so hard.  The best is the crazy Greek with the hair that's spiked up 30cm

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Should only high culture be shown in the media? In the West and most of the world the television usually has a lot of nonsense on it. Instead they can replace this with documentaries, philosophical/religious discussions, high quality dramas. In my view there should be no reality television. Music can also be uplifting and inspiring as opposed to buzzing sounds.

What are your thoughts?

Well, I certainly do prefer high culture, but last two socieits who banned popular culture were Hitlerists and Stalininsts. I would not like to be on that side. Besides that, Barberien of Seville is not adequate choice party song, besides being pretty cheering. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, I certainly do prefer high culture, but last two socieits who banned popular culture were Hitlerists and Stalininsts. I would not like to be on that side. Besides that, Barberien of Seville is not adequate choice party song, besides being pretty cheering. :D

Quite agree with this one..

Anonymous

The purpose of media has transformed from its initial concepts of constructive communication. Media has one purpose now: to get your attention. It matters not what is presented as long as you pay attention. The junk presented is what people pay attention to, whether it is good for them or not. It exploits their lowest and basest instincts. These are our primate instincts and they are embedded deeply within us.

Without regulation, media spirals down to the lowest common denominator, which itself continues to spiral down. On the other hand, regulation requires censorship which presents the perennial problem: who gets to censor who? (Ref. Dalibor: Stalin, Hitler) The fact that this question cannot be resolved allows the downward spiral to continue unrestrained. It is a dilemma.

I believe it is a serious form of environmental brain pollution. Because of our optical bandwidth, it is no different than plugging a cable directly into your brain. On this basis I support some forms of "common sense" regulation, but implementation presents serious difficulties.

The most important thing is to disconnect yourself and children as much as possible. Watch carefully programming that is targetted at children and complain (this stuff is atrocious!). Support quality programming if you can. Let friends and family know your opinion about it. Spread the good word. Develop alternatives: read, discuss, participate in good forums, go outdoors, learn a craft, play an instrument. Media pollution sucks the time of your life away from other more meaningful and gratifying experiences.

Anonymous

I feel the definition has changed a lot over the decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4327HSXY56k&feature=related

Television used to be filled with stuff like the above.  The above clip is essentially the 1960s-70s' version of "America's Got Talent"

Anonymous

Popular culture is not necessarily something bad per se – folk tales or folk songs for example essentially were the "pop culture" of our ancestors and Shakespeare's plays were nothing but entertainment for the masses back in the days. High culture has always been reserved for smaller circles of individuals smarter than the average and actually that's not a bad thing. Banning pop culture in favour of high culture at best would result in masses of pseudointellectual nuts claiming to know everything due to being confronted with profound topics through the media without actually having a grasp of what this "deep stuff" is actually about. So instead of being entirely banned, pop culture should be smartened up, things like song lyrics or movie plots should give the audience something to think about in a subtle, entertaining manner – just like many classical dramas or old tales used to do. In this manner it will be easy to educate the masses about things like values or morality and perhaps some will even get actively interested in profound matters this way.

Anonymous

Well I would be a hypocrite if I would say I do not enjoy any pop culture. Classical music is fine with me but on a daily basis I really would not listen to it if I did not have to. I also enjoy spending my free time playing video games like Saints Row 2 (fun but not really high culture lol).
    Funny this topic comes up because just this weekend after having a few beers a buddy of mine decided it would be fun to show me the sequel to a innocent little movie called The Human Centipede. That movie had no point other then attempt to be as low as it could be. I think that no healthy culture should have movies such as that but with freedom of speech I suppose directors have the right to make movies as sick and depraved as they want them to be. Of course I am not nieve enough to think that if a movie would be made about the dangerous of non European migration that the government would forget about freedom of speech and charge them with some sort of hate crime. Well this is my little take on the matter.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Popular culture is not necessarily something bad per se – folk tales or folk songs for example essentially were the "pop culture" of our ancestors and Shakespeare's plays were nothing but entertainment for the masses back in the days. High culture has always been reserved for smaller circles of individuals smarter than the average and actually that's not a bad thing. Banning pop culture in favour of high culture at best would result in masses of pseudointellectual nuts claiming to know everything due to being confronted with profound topics through the media without actually having a grasp of what this "deep stuff" is actually about. So instead of being entirely banned, pop culture should be smartened up, things like song lyrics or movie plots should give the audience something to think about in a subtle, entertaining manner – just like many classical dramas or old tales used to do. In this manner it will be easy to educate the masses about things like values or morality and perhaps some will even get actively interested in profound matters this way.

I have to say, this is an excellent insight. The disturbing elements are not intrinsic to something being "popular". Pop culture would not have to be inherently debilitating. There are interesting dimensions to the phenomena. In USA and UK, what is "usual" negro pop culture is toxic to white children and teenagers, although it does not disturb the negro from his usual self. One sees bizarre attempts at adaptation to negro culture by white people, and current western pop culture has been steam-rolled by it. It produces both pathetic imitation one side, and an anger/hatred on the other, each of which is debilitating to a healthy mind and attitude for white Americans. The base elements of Negro culture are very potent.

Whatever the pop culture, there's a level of cruelty and vulgarity below which I believe it becomes truly unhealthy, especially for the minds of children and teenagers.

It is ironic in a way that many of the great works of art, music, architecture, sculpture and so on that we admire so much today are the works commisioned by a small aristrocracy while the masses toiled in poverty. St. Petersburg, one of the world's most beautiful cities, is called the "city of bones" (I think) because so many serfs died while being forced to work in inhuman conditions to satisfy the Tsar.

Anonymous
    Quote:

What are your thoughts?

I think a lot of what happened in diluting quality in the media… including even pop music in america taking a severe plummet after the 2000's, was largely due to everything getting switched over from analog to digital.

It made everything including garbage easier and quicker to produce and spread and edit… It's actually also interesting as to how reality TV evolved from the first shows in the 90's… right before. I went to a tech school for audio engineering / recording arts some years ago in the early 2000's when everyone was just starting to transition ( and still learned how to cut real tape) and lost a lot of digi training being in that transition period too…I kind of started to see it happening from there… we learned all kinds of magic on how to make crapper singers sound talented… as well as copy and reproduce hits without making it sound obvious and to prevent lawsuits- all for profits…. taught how to reproduce more of the same crap…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • ca$hbunni
  • Glockamole
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • slovborg
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)