• This topic has 10 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone help me out. I am an American of Slovak descent. My family comes from the town of Trebisov in eastern Slovakia. Why would my family have a German last name? I know a fair amount of Germans lived in Slovakia, especially eastern and north-central Slovakia. I know a lot of names were magyarized and there are certain names that Slavs share, but does a German name mean I may be, at least in part, ethnically German? If anyone has any ideas or better grasp of Slovak history I would greatly appreciate it!
    Veronica

Anonymous

@vlake97
    What is your last name?  That’s the important question to even be able to have an idea of whatever German name you type of.

Anonymous

Everyone is from eastern Slovakia.

Anonymous

it all depends on the name itself. If it’s for example occupational surname like Schuster (cobbler), Schneider (tailor) Pinter (cooper) it doesn’t have to be of ethnic German origin, it could be just that local population used that term for the specific profession. But I’m no expert in genealogy, this is just my reasoning.

Anonymous

Thank you all for your replies! The last name is Marschall.

Anonymous

Anonymous

That link is a different spelling. This one…
    http://forebears.io/surnames/marschall
    So there is one instance of Slovakia, most of the others are Germany, Austria, USA etc. That’s why I was wondering if German last names were not uncommon in SK.

Anonymous

try Slovak spelling: Maršal.
    also here’s a link to a Slovak site showing there were 65 recorded Maršals in Slovakia in 1995.
    or 17 Marschalls.

Anonymous

I think it is quite important to mention that Slovakia was a part of Austria-Hungary.

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus 
    Nice to have u back man, it’s been a while

Anonymous

Anonymous

@Karpivna I was born in FR Yugoslavia, went to school for three years in SU Serbia and Montenegro, I’m living in Serbia, still on the same address… Shaokang probably has SFRY to add to my list.

Anonymous
    @Dušan Yup, made in SFRY.
    PS. I also never moved from my village

Anonymous

@Karpivna

Let’s go step by step about the image you posted.

I was born in Austro-Hungry.  > That’d be prior to 1918.

I went to school in Czechoslovakia > Okay. That would be in Transcarpathia of modern Uzhhorod Ukraine.

I was married in Hungary > Maybe which is a tiny period of time in late 30s.

I worked in Soviet Union > Very likely

Here’s unusual statement.

‘I was buried in Ukraine ‘

How does the person know where he or she was buried?

The message is creative , but looks odd to me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Drizzt
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • kony97
  • Yung Slav
  • 'las
  • Lyutenitsa