Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #344816

    Anonymous

    So I'm really curious about this. I don't have what you would call a "typical" Slavic (Serbian) Last name.
    My mum's side of the family do have very Serbian-sounding names, like Malobabić, mamuzić, vučetić. On my dads side, there's Kukulj and Lončar, and obviously others that I can't really remember right now. My last name is Kukulj. So I was wondering if anyone knows where this comes from. Actually, I'd be interested in any information concerning the names I mentioned (Malobabić, mamuzić, vučetić, Kukulj and Lončar), but I really want to know about my last name.

    #405890

    Anonymous

    It is Slavic for sure, mostly Croatian and Serbian, but I can't help you with a meaning of it and the roots of the name :/

    #405891

    Anonymous

    My first guess would be that it may come from the Slavic name of cuckoo, but the "lj" ending contradicts it, maybe it is a corruption, but that's rather improbable. I'll search more.

    #405893

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    javio nam se g. Milan Kukulj, iz Melburna

    Holy shit, that's my grandpa! :D!
    That's for this, Dalibor.

    #405894

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Holy ****, that's my grandpa! :D!

    Кажу да је свет мали  ;D

    #405895

    Anonymous

    Kukulj and Lončar are very Slavic surnames! Lončar is potter. Is your name Harry? ;D Kukulj sounds similar to kokalj and kokelj here. Definitely Slavic as well.

    #405896

    Anonymous

    yeah, as they say it's Slavic surname. my maternal grandmother is Lončar. and there is also surname Kukalj in my area. can be related to Kukulj.

    #405897

    Anonymous

    Of course, surname is Serbian, hence Slavic:

    кукуљ м в. кукуљица (1 и 2). Р-К Реч.
    кукуља ж в. кукуљица (/). — Капетан иђаше сам пред батаљоном; кукуљу је дубо-
    ко спустио на очи. Јакш. Ђ. кукуљав, -а, -о скукуљен, згурен. — Што је мушке главе, сама луда деца и нејач. А од људи, кукуљави старци. Ад. Изашао је . . . његов отац, кукуллв, астматичан и глув старац. Петр. В.
    кукуљача ж 1. кукуљица (1). — Требало је сашити четири црне калуђерске ризе са кукуљачама на којима би била само по два отвора за очи. Ћос. Д. 2. кабаница на којој се налази дошивена  кукуља. — Хтједе дохватити кабаницу кукуљачу. Божић.
    кукуљев, -а, -о само у изразима: ~ дан оно што се никад не оствари, испуни; на >-'
    дан никада. — Није смело да се догоди да даље гледа . . . кукова лета, кукуљев-дане.
    КН 1958. к у к у т и т и се, кукуљим се несврш. клупчати се, увлачити се. — Гледала је . . . не смијући приговорити, кукуљећи се у своју безнадност и очај. Сим.
    кукуљица ж 1. капуљача, капуца. — Изабере једно јефтино одијело и некакву пелерину . . . дугачку с кукуљицом којом
    ће му покрити главу. Бег. На плећима плашт, а на глави кукуљица која га штити и од кишс.
    Каш. 2. плетеница косе на глави, искићена иглама. — На глави јој [невјести] начине
    кукуљицу (од њезине косе у коју се позадијева око 200 игала). Вук. 3. зоол. ступањ

    #405898

    Anonymous

    As much as I know Lončar is quite common in Croatia, you can find it in Slovenia too. Slavic, no question.

    #405899

    Anonymous

    Thanks everyone :) Any information about my mums side of the family? So  Malobabić, mamuzić, vučetić, and Brkić,

    #405900

    Anonymous

    Kada je rec o prezimenima Kukulj/Kukolj slicnost je velika…postoji i prezime Kukalj koje je veoma rasprostranjeno u Srbiji(od juga Srbije danasnjeg Kosova pa sve do predela Vojvodine),Crnoj Gori,Makedoniji pa se cak pojavljuje i u predelima Hrvatske…vecinom(90%) su pravoslavni hriscani mada u Crnoj Gori u primorskim mestima ima nekih poturcenih porodica koji ne poricu da su u proslosti bili pravoslavne veroispovesti.Vecina porodica Kukalj takodje slave Sv.Jovana…eto nekih slicnosti…da li mislite da postoji neka veza izmedju ovih prezimena…?????????:)

    #405901

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Kada je rec o prezimenima Kukulj/Kukolj slicnost je velika…postoji i prezime Kukalj koje je veoma rasprostranjeno u Srbiji(od juga Srbije danasnjeg Kosova pa sve do predela Vojvodine),Crnoj Gori,Makedoniji pa se cak pojavljuje i u predelima Hrvatske…vecinom(90%) su pravoslavni hriscani mada u Crnoj Gori u primorskim mestima ima nekih poturcenih porodica koji ne poricu da su u proslosti bili pravoslavne veroispovesti.Vecina porodica Kukalj takodje slave Sv.Jovana…eto nekih slicnosti…da li mislite da postoji neka veza izmedju ovih prezimena…?????????:)

    Ja licno mislim da ima nekakva veza izmedju tih prezimena, i da nije samo stvar u jednom slovu, ali nebi ti mogao reci kakva je to veza.

    #405902

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    So I'm really curious about this. I don't have what you would call a "typical" Slavic (Serbian) Last name.
    My mum's side of the family do have very Serbian-sounding names, like Malobabić, mamuzić, vučetić. On my dads side, there's Kukulj and Lončar, and obviously others that I can't really remember right now. My last name is Kukulj. So I was wondering if anyone knows where this comes from. Actually, I'd be interested in any information concerning the names I mentioned (Malobabić, mamuzić, vučetić, Kukulj and Lončar), but I really want to know about my last name.

    All those names are Slavic or Slavicized. I would say Kukulj and Lončar are commonly Croatian. Malobabić, Mamuzić, Vučetić are undeniably of Serbian extract very common among Serbs that live in Croatia , Montenegro , and Bosnia.

    Since you shared I'll share the last names of all 4 of my grandparents too . They are Ćurić, Pejić, Sabljić, and Mika. It is our understanding that Ćurići have origins in the Tomislavgrad-Livno area ,Pejići are from Western Herzegovina around Grude-Siroki-Mostar , Not sure about Sabljići since my relatives from this branch hail from SW BiH and Central BiH but I hear it could be Dalmatian, and Mika is actually Czech. 

    #405903

    Anonymous

    Xekoslav, thanks for the response!

    How far can you trace back your paternal lineage? Most Slavs seem to be able to trace it further back than most other people.
    I know who my great great great grandfather, or 'navrndeda' was.

    #405904

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Xekoslav, thanks for the response!

    How far can you trace back your paternal lineage? Most Slavs seem to be able to trace it further back than most other people.
    I know who my great great great grandfather, or 'navrndeda' was.

    About 5 generations. It's because a lot of Slavs stay in the same home that their great great grandparents lived in. At least that's the way of it in the country.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • Fia