• This topic has 3 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I was hoping someone could help me with determining the origin of the surname Butsky. My DH’s maternal side had an ancestor emigrate from West Prussia to the US. He spelled his surname as Butzke, which I believe is the germanized version of Butsky. I’m thinking this surname originated in Russia/Ukraine. Can anyone help? TIA!

Anonymous

Emigrated from West Prussia and you consider Russia or Ukraine? In what year your ancestor left Europe?

Bucki surname may be connected with “Buk” – a beech.

Anonymous

Emigrated from West Prussia and you consider Russia or Ukraine? In what year your ancestor left Europe?

Bucki surname may be connected with “Buk” – a beech.

Anonymous

Russian sources state surname maybe of Ukrainian origin from butsati – to horn. Or Belarusian from butsian (butsjan/буцян) – stork.

It’s not a certain answer.

In Belarusian stork is butsian. In Polish – bocian. I am not sure how Kashubs name the bird. Maybe there is Butscian in Polish dialects.

Anonymous

Stork in different Slavic languages

ботян, батян, бачан, бадьян “аист”, укр. бочан, блр. буцян, в остальном исключительно зап.-слав.: польск. bocian, диал. bocan, bociun, bocek, bociek, bociag, bocon, boczon, в.-луж. bacon, н.-луж. boson, полаб. buot’an,

buot’an was the form for stork in Polabian. Polabian Slavs settled in north-eastern Germany and present-day north-western Poland.

Lower Lusatian – boson
    Dialectical forms in Polish – bocan, bociun, bocek, bociek, bociag, bocon, boczon,

Anonymous

Bòcón in Kashubian.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Fia
  • привет
  • Tujev
  • slovborg
  • kony97