• This topic has 8 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Anyone got any sources on that? from word Slava or Slovo or something third?

Anonymous

I would say from Slovo, rather than from word Slava.

Slavic tribe were Ильменские словене (not Slavyane).

"The Slavic autonym Slověninъ is usually considered a derivation from slovo "word," originally denoting "people who speak (the same language)," i.e. people who understand each other, in contrast to Slavic word denoting "foreign people" – němci, meaning "mumbling, murmuring people" (from Slavic němъ – "mumbling, mute")."

"Kasniji pisci bilježili su Slavene kao Sklaveni, Skloveni i Anti. Jordanes navodi da se Veneti dijele na tri skupine: Venete, Ante i Sklavene. Tradicionalno se ime "Veneti" počelo vezati uz Zapadne Slavene, "Sklaveni" uz Južne Slavene, a "Anti" uz Istočne Slavene.
    Čak i porijeklo riječi "Slaven" nije sigurno. Očito postoji sličnost s riječju "slovo", pa možda "Slaveni" (Slovjani) znači "oni koji znaju govoriti", za razliku od "Nijemci", od "něm", "nijem", "oni koji ne znaju govoriti" (na sličan način su Grci skovali riječ "barbari"). Druga očita veza je riječ "slava", koja ima zajednički korijen sa "slovo" – kad je netko slavan, o njemu se širi glas.
    U nekim slavenskim jezicima naziv za Slavene ima korijen slov-, na primjer u slovenskom Slovani ili srpskom Sloveni, a u drugima slav-, kao u ruskom (Slavjane) ili hrvatskom. Prema nekim teorijama korijen slav- nastao je zbog ruskog akanja (prelaženja nenaglašenog 'o' u 'a')."

Although, in Serbian language were also used word Slaven, until 20th century when it's replaced with Sloven.

Anonymous

I'll second my brother here it's from slovo ( polish slowo ). In Polish it's Slowianie, not Slawianie. Definitely from the word slovo as I see it.

Anonymous

There is also theory of mr Bozidar Mitrovic about ancient Slavic name "Koloveni", archaic Kolo – Sun, Ven – wreath, kin = Kin of Sun.

Etruscan inscription of "Koloveni":

http://www.bozidar.ru/index_s.htm

Anonymous

Theory of a Slovak historian and researcher Cyril Hromník who lives in South Africa, also divides the word SLOVENI into two words. However he deals with the Sloveni as with the Slovaks, because it is an older name of the Slovaks in male form (until the 15th century) – it's in his book Sloveni Slováci unde orti estis (Sloveni Slovaks where are your roots) – the same theory goes for Slavs in general because of the same origin of names Slovaks and Slavs.

So, Cyril Hromník speaks Tamil that is a language in present-day India and that is influenced by Sanskrit. Sanskrit is similar to Slavic languages, Slovenian is a good example. Let's analyze the name by this theory.

Slo-veni is composed of Slo and Veni. Slo is an anagram from Sol (they are interchangeable), but still means the same – Slovo (a word). The official theory is right there, Sloveni really contains Slovo. But Slo or Sol means also Sláva (a glory), thus Sláviť (to worship in this sense). The second part of the name is Veni, while -i is the suffix for Plural. Anyway Veni or Ven means in Tamil hairy or rich hair. Since letter v is interchangeable with letter b, ven has been preserved in a Slovak/Slavic word Hrebeň = a comb – and we know that it is a device used in hair care. Consequently, Slo-Veni means Worshipers of a hairy god. But what god? Perun? Or Veles whose name is closest to Vlasy (hair)? Each of Slavic tribes preferred own god, but after all they had the same importance for them. Anyway, as we know, Slavic gods have rich hair and long beards, it could be any of them, thus the name is not so important in this case.

Someone might say Worshipers of a (hairy) god is just an odd explanation of Sloveni. Let's look at the word Christians. What's that actually? In my humble opinion (and not just in mine) the meaning is the same, because Christian comes from Christ, who is their god, moreover a hairy god.  ;)  Christians are Worshipers of Jesus Christ, a hairy Christian god.

Theory of Božidar Mitrović says Sloveni means Kin of Sun. Well, it's not so far from Cyril Hromník's theory Worshipers of God. Both theories don't oppose official theory with the word Slovo either, but they are completing it, because official theory ignores the second part of the name Sloveni.

Any other theories are welcome.

Anonymous

As I learned.

[li]Sloveni – The guys that can speak[/li]
      [li]Nemci – The guys that can't speak[/li]
      [li]Srbi – The guys that are your people (archaic term for brother or kin, sometimes used in reffering to Slavs in general)[/li]
      [li]Vlasi – The others that speak the "imperial" (Roman) language[/li]

Slava and Slovo are interchangeable. Slava means glory, and when someone has words (slovo) spoken about him, he is "glorious" he posseses glory (slava).

[li]

P.S. Srb or Serb/Sierb meaning "kin" in the Slavic languages is still present. In the Polish and the Ukrainian language "pasierb/paserb" or "pasierbica/paserbytsya" means stepson/stepdaughter, which could be interpreted as "taking someone into your own kin (pa- sierb, serb, srb)".[/li]

Anonymous
    Quote:
    As I learned.

[li]Srbi – The guys that are your people (archaic term for brother, sometime Slavs in general)[/li]

Slava and Slovo are interchangeable. Slava means glory, and when someone has words (slovo) spoken about him, he is "glorious" he posseses glory (slava).

Yeah, that's the official theory. My question is, what do the Sloveni speak of? If they speak, simple logic says they speak of something or most probably someone. Nemci don't speak which means they don't speak of the same thing. So what's the answer to the question : what do the Sloveni speak of or about?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:
    As I learned.

[li]Srbi – The guys that are your people (archaic term for brother, sometime Slavs in general)[/li]

Yeah, that's the official theory. My question is, what do the Sloveni speak of? If they speak, simple logic says they speak of something or most probably someone. Nemci don't speak which means they don't speak of the same thing. So what's the answer to the question : what do the Sloveni speak of?

I made a mistake, not speak, but talk. Sloveni can talk, Nemci can't (They do, but for us not understandable). We have the use of the word (slovo), and this word was and still is the most precious thing in the human community. A person who possesses a lot of words (slovo) that speak about him, in other words, someone who isn't forgotten but lives through the stories of the people, possesses glory or fame (slava, slavan). Slava as in "glory" is the agglomeration of these "words" (slovo), which summed up make the history of the people.

[li]P.S. The ancient Greeks had a similar concept called

Kleos[/li]

Anonymous

Theory of prof. Radmilo Petrovic:

"…But disagreement about the Slavs took place later, during their colonization, or eviction from their own homeland. When they moved from the country of their birth, they would get the prefix "Slo", which is to say: "From" country "Vene". So, "people from the country Vene" are "Slavs", and for these reasons there was a misunderstanding. The Slavs called themselves "Vene", and as colonists were given the prefix "Slo", meaning "from". Historical sources are translated incorrectly in the ethnonym "Sloveni", instead quite an accurate title: "Venedi", "Veneti" or "Vene"."

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Theory of prof. Radmilo Petrovic:

"…But disagreement about the Slavs took place later, during their colonization, or eviction from their own homeland. When they moved from the country of their birth, they would get the prefix "Slo", which is to say: "From" country "Vene". So, "people from the country Vene" are "Slavs", and for these reasons there was a misunderstanding. The Slavs called themselves "Vene", and as colonists were given the prefix "Slo", meaning "from". Historical sources are translated incorrectly in the ethnonym "Sloveni", instead quite an accurate title: "Venedi", "Veneti" or "Vene".

Very interesting theory Dervan :)

Anonymous

I think that I would personally preferr to phrase this topic question as such. "What does a Slavic person think about himself and his own personality?" 

This type of question would have us looking at ourselves introspectively and telling each other what we think/feel that we are as a human species. We would consider what we are as Slavs, instead of searching historian's books and dictionaries.

Both of these studies are very interesting. Maybe this one could be a follow up. First figure out what history says about the name "Slavs."  Then analyze by looking into ourselves as Slavs what we are. Does it match the name? How do we think that we differ from Germanics, Celts and Latins?

Anonymous

Here is a very interesting theory I found on you-tube… it explains how we came to be called Sloveni while we called ourselves Veneti.
    The Making of the Slavs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • GOGA
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • Jan Pat II
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Nefario
  • 'las