• This topic has 12 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Okej i hope this is right section for this. If not advise me. This thread is generally about Slavic toponyms. I have been looking at this map (http://sitemaker.umich.edu/mladjov/files/rus1200.jpg) and i saw place name Vinnica. It really reminded me of our Vinica. Overal i believe it has to do something with wine or grapes indeed according to wiki it is. Also i noticed Vinnytsia actually still exists. So there they make (or used to make) wine or something? 😮 :D

Anonymous

I am actually interested in really old toponyms, like for example Morava, there are plenty of "moravas" all over central and south Europe.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I am actually interested in really old toponyms, like for example Morava, there are plenty of "moravas" all over central and south Europe.

From Mora?

Anonymous

Vinica means vineyard in Slovak and if such places have or had in the past real vineyards, all is clear. The other possibility is in the natural changing words by people who got used to say certain words and they are slowly changing the name of another, mostly archaic word, which has a completely different meaning, but sound very similar. So, few vinicas could have something in common with Wends.

As for the Morava toponyms, there are two explanations I've heard about. Moravá rieka means a swamp river in Slovak. The other one is that Morava originates in the Goddess Morena/Mara.. yeah, you pointed out many other examples of this word, it's important that everywhere there live/d the Slavs. We know examples when our ancestors called parts of the nature by Slavic Gods and Morava as a really ancient name doesn't have to be any exception. That's it.

Anonymous

try placenames of which we arent 100% sure if theyre even slavic.
    ill write them as they were written in medieval chronicles, preserving their funny orthography. year in which they were mentioned is in brackets. ill also mix in some interestingly written slavic and nonslavic placenames. you can guess  ;D

Kabalafeulde (1319)
    Filka (1292)
    Baasfiamyklousfelde (1299)
    Zylwaswyffalw (1513)
    Ighazaszalanch (1316)
    Imylamochar (1476)
    Elsoycha (1282)
    Elsoa (1282)
    Ilswa (1272)
    Weresuagasa (1409)
    Mokoycha (1299)
    Bodonwara (1435)
    Thwgrina (1397)

edit: ojojoj i forgot some more unknown ones  ;D
    Noghbagh (1430)
    and ofc rivers Torysa, Hornad, Poprad

Anonymous

Barov, Mokoycha má byť kde, čo, ako? Tu mi napadá Mokoša, napr. ako Mokošin vrch pri Chrámci… O tom premieňaní podobne znejúcich slov som hovorila vyššie, ale tu by som to skôr tipovala na tú Mokošu. De's to šecko najšiel, prosím ťa?

Anonymous

Thwgrina (1397)

To je akože Tuhriná?  ;D

Anonymous

Kabalafeulde – today Kobylie. means mare field/land, kabala=kobyla (slavic), feulde=field/land (germanic)
    Filka – Veľka, Velika (great, large) – slavic
    Baasfiamyklousfelde – field/land of baas, son of miklos (nicholas). mishmash of latin, germanic, hungarian…
    Zylwaswyffalw – szilvásújfalu. slivník village. szilva=plum in hungarian, probably of slavic origin, wyffalw=újfalu=new village in hungarian
    Ighazaszalanch – egyházasszálánc  ;D egyház is hungarian for church, temple or something like that. szálánc = slanec, slavic origin
    Imylamochar – imyla=unknown, maybe hungarian, močar=swamp (slavic)
    Elsoycha – oľšavica, slavic
    Elsoa – oľšava
    Ilswa – oľšava  ;D
    Weresuagasa – vörösvágás, means "red clearing" in hungarian
    Mokoycha – makovica, slavic
    Bodonwara – Bodon was nobleman from Lapuspatak (stone creek) branch of Aba family. he built the castle Makovica, also called Bodonvár. vár=hungarian for castle. name Bodon is of unknown origin, but Aba dynasty was mainly of turkic (khazar) origin
    Thwgrina – yes, Tuhrina  :) unknown origin
    Noghbagh – Nagybagy  ;D today Bačkovík. nagy=great, large in hungarian, bagy (baď)=unknown origin
    names Tarcza/Torysa, Chornad/Hornad, Poprad are unknown, probably of pre-slavic origin.

i didnt make it up, its from Osídlenie Košickej kotliny III by Varsik  ;D

some more funny names
    (years arent needed, all are from middle-ages)

Kanatopa
    Kemonahurka
    Korythweulgh
    Kuzurumezew
    Kwnapathaka
    Kysthopul
    Saruschkorong

Anonymous

I guess some of these sources were wrriten in Hungarian, Latin or German. :D

Anonymous

all chronicles were in latin, but names underwent process of weirdization. id say hungarian chroniclers were masters at that  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    all chronicles were in latin, but names underwent process of weirdization. id say hungarian chroniclers were masters at that  ;D

Yes here also many medieval place names look quite distinct from current. :D

Anonymous

Kanatopa – konotop, "horsedrown". name for creek, river with a kind of a soft mud, very dangerous for riders and their horses. slavic
    Kemonahurka – kamenna hurka, stone hill. slavic
    Korythweulgh – today Kurityán in hungary. koryto=slavic for riverbed/streambed, weulgh=maybe föld? hungarian for land.
    Kuzurumezew – something in hungarian  ;D a place near šariš castle ruins.
    Kwnapathaka – slavic: kuna=marten, potok=stream, creek
    Kysthopul – kis=hungarian for small, topľa=slavic for warm; lesser topľa stream.
    Saruschkorong – hungarian for "round swamp/forest". korong is of slavic origin, means "circle".

source: Varsik again :) one of the few good historians in slovakia

one of old names for village Hažin: Eghasatlangeswn  ;D ;D

edit: i wonder why have i posted this. you had no time for guessing  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    edit: i wonder why have i posted this. you had no time for guessing  ;D

LOLz! No man its great at least we can see how it was back then and it's on-topic. ;)

Anonymous

Many of these sound familiar to me. But I never liked linguists.  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    try placenames of which we arent 100% sure if theyre even slavic.
    ill write them as they were written in medieval chronicles, preserving their funny orthography. year in which they were mentioned is in brackets. ill also mix in some interestingly written slavic and nonslavic placenames. you can guess  ;D

Kabalafeulde (1319)
    Filka (1292)
    Baasfiamyklousfelde (1299)
    Zylwaswyffalw (1513)
    Ighazaszalanch (1316)
    Imylamochar (1476)
    Elsoycha (1282)
    Elsoa (1282)
    Ilswa (1272)
    Weresuagasa (1409)
    Mokoycha (1299)
    Bodonwara (1435)
    Thwgrina (1397)

edit: ojojoj i forgot some more unknown ones  ;D
    Noghbagh (1430)
    and ofc rivers Torysa, Hornad, Poprad

I was doing research about my surname and find this topic …

How can I find more about FILKA ?

My surname is Filka but i don't know what Filka really means.

I just know about the Macedonian Song "Filka Moma", but my granpa was born in Kobin, Vojvodina, Serbia and his parents too.

This year, 1292, refers to what ?

Thank you SO much about any help !!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

6 User(s) Online Join Server
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • LCaine
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • ▽eurus▽
  • Shnickstara89
  • Drizzt