• This topic has 14 voices and 83 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My grandmother is/was from Ivanava in Brest region (near Pinsk) Belarus. When I asked What is her background she says ''Poleszuki''.

Her native language is West Polesian dialect which she says is closer Ukrainian language then Belarusian languaue.

I don't read or write in any Slavic language so finding information is very difficult.

Her family surnames are Leonchuk and Grischuk

Does anyone have anymore information on the Polischuќy people of Polesia ?
    are they Ukrainians or Belarusian?

regards

Anonymous

I consider them as a part of the Ukrainian ethnos. The surnames in your family confirm this, they are very typical Ukrainian surnames.

Anonymous

interesting :)

and why do you think that?

regards

Anonymous

Polishuks in Ukraine identify as Ukrainian, plain and simple ;)
    About the language I can't really judge, I haven't heard their dialect so far, maybe it's a transitional dialect between Ukrainian and Belarusian. Perhaps the situation with Polishuks in Ukraine and Belarus is similar to the situation with Gorals in Poland and Slovakia – in Poland they see themselves as Poles, in Slovakia as Slovaks.

Anonymous

in the end they are both Ruthenian. Just confusing when people ask me about my heritage. seeing she was from Belarus i just say Belarusian.

Do you know the meanings/history of those surnames?

Леончук

Грищук 

regards

Anonymous
    Quote:
    in the end they are both Ruthenian. Just confusing when people ask me about my heritage. seeing she was from Belarus i just say Belarusian.

Do you know the meanings/history of those surnames?

Леончук

Грищук 

regards

Both should be patronymic in origin, deriving from Leon or Leonid, respectively Hryhoriy.

Anonymous

thank you

do you know if the surname ''Pawlak'' is Ukrainian or Polish in origin?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    thank you

do you know if the surname ''Pawlak'' is Ukrainian or Polish in origin?

I think it is Polish.

Anonymous

do you or anyone know the history of Ukrainians in southern Belarus?

what slavic tribe/s would my ancestors from Ivanava (near pinsk) of most likely belonged to?

thank you

Anonymous
    Quote:

do you or anyone know the history of Ukrainians in southern Belarus?

what slavic tribe/s would my ancestors from Ivanava (near pinsk) of most likely belonged to?

thank you

If they lived there from the earliest times on, they would have most likely been descendants of Drehovichs or Drevlians.

Anonymous

thanks for the information

If southern Belarusians are mainly of Ukrainian origin then why is it not apart of Ukraine?

regards

Anonymous
    Quote:
    thanks for the information

If southern Belarusians are mainly of Ukrainian origin then why is it not apart of Ukraine?

regards

Ukrainians and Belarusians are quite close to each other, so I don't think it really matters.

Anonymous

so you consider the polishuky people of Belarus as ethnic Ukrainians ?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    so you consider the polishuky people of Belarus as ethnic Ukrainians ?

In the end, I agree with gambler here: depending on how they identify, there are Ukrainian Polishuks, Belarusian Polishuks and Polish Polishuks. As I said, I am not an expert on them and I do not want to make a wrong statement or step on anyone's toes by saying "they definitely are ethnic Ukrainians and nothing else".

Anonymous

do you know of any good websites in any language that talk about the polischuky people and region ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.