• This topic has 12 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka
    Orthodoxy

Most Slavic populations gradually adopted Christianity between 6th and 10th century, and consequently their old pagan beliefs declined.

The word orthodox, from Greek orthodoxos "having the right opinion", from orthos ("right", "true", "straight") + doxa ("opinion" or "praise", related to dokein, "to think"),[1] is typically used to mean the adherence to well-researched and well-thought-out accepted norms, especially in religion.[2]

The term did not conventionally exist with any degree of formality (in the sense in which it is now used) prior to the advent of Christianity in the Greek-speaking world, though the word does occasionally show up in ancient literature in other, somewhat similar contexts.[citation needed] Orthodoxy is opposed to heterodoxy ("other teaching"), heresy and schism. People who deviate from orthodoxy by professing a doctrine considered to be false are most often called heretics or radicals, while those who deviate from orthodoxy by removing themselves from the perceived body of believers are called schismatics. The distinction in terminology pertains to the subject matter; if one is addressing corporate unity, the emphasis may be on schism; if one is addressing doctrinal coherence, the emphasis may be on heresy.

Apostasy, for example, is a violation of orthodoxy that takes the form of abandonment of the faith, a concept largely unknown before the adoption of Christianity as the state religion of Rome on February 27, 380 by Theodosius I, see also First seven Ecumenical Councils. A lighter deviation from orthodoxy than heresy is commonly called error, in the sense of not being grave enough to cause total estrangement, while yet seriously affecting communion. Sometimes error is also used to cover both full heresies and minor errors.

The concept of orthodoxy is the most prevalent in many forms of organized monotheism, but orthodox belief is not usually overly emphasized in polytheistic or animist religions. Often there is little to no concept of dogma, and varied interpretation of doctrine and theology is tolerated and sometimes even encouraged within certain contexts. Syncretism, for example, plays a much wider role in non-monotheistic (and particularly, non-scriptual) religion. The prevailing governing idea within polytheism is most often orthopraxy ("right practice") rather than "right belief".

Orthodox Slavs:

* Belarusians
       * Bulgarians
       * Macedonians
       * Montenegrins
       * Russians
       * Serbs
       * Ukrainians

Anonymous

I have been finding in my investigations an Orthodox(Prava-Slavnai) idea of the Correspondence between God's seven creation days of Genesis, and Mankind's 7000 years of History. It is counted from Adam and Eve in 4000BC(or 4004BC), untill Judgment Day in 3000AD. There have been alusions to this during the earliest days of the Christian Church, but it seem the Russian Orthodox is the only one still retaining traces of It today.

Correspondence between God's Days and Mankind's Days

Is Christian history alluded to in Genesis?
    One day with the lord is as a thousand. 2Pet.3;8

3000AD………Judgment Day…………………….

……….Day of Rest(Christian Millenium)Rev.20;6……Gen. Day 7

2000AD……………………………………………..

………1500AD – Age of Enlightenment……Mankind created Day 6
    …………………….Dark Ages……………….Animals created

1000AD………………………………………………

………Constantine spreads Christianity under Eagle – Fowl Day 5
    ………Christians use the sign of the fish………………Fish

000…………….RESURRECTED………………………………
    JESUS CHRIST crucified………………………………Sun
    ………………..O.T. cannonized(500BC)……………Moon….Day 4
    ………………..The Prophets(800-500BC)………….Stars
    1000BC……………………………………………………….

……Israel living/florishing in promised land …Plants(air)….Day 3

2000BC…..Crossing Red Sea/Jordan on "dry land."(twice mentioned)

………………………………..divided the waters on Genesis Day 2

3000BC…………………NOAH'S FLOOD

…………………………………………..created the earth on Day 1
    4000BC………..Adam and Eve begin farming…………………………

The 31 verses of Genesis Chapter One seem to tell us two stories at the same time.

Anonymous

According to the Christian reckoning now is 7520 year from "creation of the world" (Anno Mundi, 5500 BC some great flood accure).
    Church's new year is celebrated on 14th September (in gregorian calendar, 1st in julian) as the day of the beginning of liturgical cycle.

Anonymous

[size=10pt]Adding some additional information about the Serbian Calendar (Srpski narodni kalendar), to what Dervan already mentioned.[/size]
    [hr]

According to the Serbian Calendar which is influenced by the calendar of the Serbian Orthodox Church, today (2011 CE) we write the year 7520.

[li]The Byzantine Creation Era, also "Creation Era of Constantinople," or "Era of the World" (Greek: Έτη Γενέσεως Κόσμου κατά 'Ρωμαίους also Έτος Κτίσεως Κόσμου or Έτος Κόσμου ) was the Calendar officially used by the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Derived from the Septuagint version of the Bible (

3rd century B.C. translation of the Old Testament), it placed the date of creation at 5,509 years before the Incarnation, and was characterized by a certain tendency which had already been a tradition amongst Hebrews and Jews to number the years from the foundation of the world (Latin: Annus Mundi / Ab Origine Mundi (AM)). Its year one, the supposed date of creation, was September 1, 5509 BC to August 31, 5508 BC.[/li]

[size=10pt]The Serbian Calendar – National holidays and Slava's[/size]

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]Latinski | Pravoslav | Slavenosrpski | Srpski narodni                [size=7pt]Uskršnji praznici: Vrbica, Cveti, Veliki četvrtak, Veliki petak, Uskrs, Spasovdan, Trojice[/size]
    [/td]
    [/tr][/table]
    [hr]

[table][tr]
    [td]1.      [/td]
    [td]Januar | Bogojavljenski | Sečenj | Koložeg              [/td]
    [td]2. Kokošiji Božić, 5. Tucindan, 6. Badnji dan, 7. Božić, 9. Stevanjdan, 14. Vasiljevdan, 18. Krstovdan, 19. Bogojavljenje, 20. Jovanjdan, 27. Savindan, 29. Verižnjaci, 31. Čumin dan[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]2.      [/td]
    [td]Februar | Sretenjski | Ljuti | Sečko              [/td]
    [td]12. Tri jerarha, 14. Trivundan, 15. Sretenje, Teodorova subota[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]3.      [/td]
    [td]Mart | Blagoveštenski | Suhi | Derikoža              [/td]
    [td]14. Letnik, 22. Mladenci[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]4.      [/td]
    [td]April | Đurđevski | Berezozol | Ležitrava              [/td]
    [td]7. Blagovesti[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]5.      [/td]
    [td]Maj | Carski | Traven | Cvetanj              [/td]
    [td]6. Đurđevdan, 8. Markovdan, 14. Jeremijindan, 22. letnji Nikola[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]6.      [/td]
    [td]Jun | Petrovski | Izok | Trešnjar              [/td]
    [td]28. Vidovdan[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]7.      [/td]
    [td]Jul | Ilinski | Červen | Žetvar              [/td]
    [td]7. Ivanjdan, 12. Petrovdan, Pavlovdan, 26. letnji Gavrilo, 28. Ćirilovdan, 30. Ognjena Marija[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]8.      [/td]
    [td]Avgust | Gospođinski | Zarev | Gumnik              [/td]
    [td]2. Ilindan, 4. Blaga Marija, 8. Trnova Petka, 9. Pantelijevdan, 15. Sveti Stevan Vetroviti, 19. Preobraženje, 28. Velika Gospojina[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]9.      [/td]
    [td]Septembar | Miholjski | Rujen | Grozdober              [/td]
    [td]11. Usekovanje, 12. Lesendrovan, 14. Crkvena nova godina, 21. Mala Gospojina, 27. Krstovdan jesenji[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]10.      [/td]
    [td]Oktobar | Mitrovski | Listopad | Šumopad              [/td]
    [td]12. Miholjdan, 19. Tomindan, 20. Srđevdan, 27. Petkovača, 31. Lučindan[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]11.      [/td]
    [td]Novembar | Mratinjski | Gruden | Studen              [/td]
    [td]8. Mitrovdan, 14. Vračevi, 16. Đurđic, 21. Aranđelovdan, 24. Mratindan[/td]
    [/tr]

[tr]
    [td]12.      [/td]
    [td]Decembar | Božićni | Studen | Koledar              [/td]
    [td]4. Vavedenje, 9. Alimpijevdan, 13. Mečkin dan, 18. Savica, 19. Nikoljdan, Detinjci, Materice, Oci (ili Očevi)[/td]
    [/tr]

[/table]

Anonymous

Yes, you two, I have also studied many old Theologial books in Slavic language.

But for the common people to see, what is the number on the Calendars today hanging on the walls of Russia, Serbia and Ukraine?  What year does it tell the common people that it is today? What year will a gradeschool student tell you that it is today?

I believe that God makes things work out for the common people to see. Real religion is for the masses of regular working people not the specially educated. Religion is made to help people psycologically and to save the soul. The majority of the toiling Slavs do not know these complicated things. The elite who can study the big dusty books in the universities are far from them!

The common man's calendar which every child sees is the one which contains the mysterys of God. The highly educated scholors are a minority sitting alone in book filled rooms. They are in the dark. The masses of alive living people are in the light. So I am more interested in examining their calendar!

Anonymous

Not a small part of Ukrainians are Greek Catholics. They have accepted a Catholic Creed (which includs filioque denied by the Eastern Orthodox) but preserved Eastern Rites. There are also many Baptists as long (historically) established Church.

Anonymous

[img width=700 height=525]http://www.dodaj.rs/f/3O/RS/vO3USER/whoweare.jpg” />

Of course this is mostly joking except last one

Anonymous

Sorry, we outrank you ;D:

But, a serious question now. What do the Orthodox generally think about Greek Catholics (and Catholics in more general sense)?

Anonymous

just look at picture you posted and youll see  ;D
    well seriously it depends on people. in some villages in slovakia theres no problem. and in some there is. for example in meždulabirce. thats town famed for its idiots and religious communists  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Sorry, we outrank you ;D:

But, a serious question now. What do the Orthodox generally think about Greek Catholics (and Catholics in more general sense)?

Hm, depends, peopel see them from traitors, to misguided Orthodox. Church, recognise their existance, but prefer to deal with Roman Catholics. Somewhere relations are normal, in Ukraine there is third world war. But there is Canonical Church subjugated to Mosow, two pro-indipendence Churches with no recognition by Orthodox Communion, and of course Greek Catholic. They are pretty agressive. Serbs do not have Greek Catholis (except Rusyn emigrants, those Rusins who returned to Orthodoxy got Serbianized. In Slovakia, situation seems to be without bigg tensions. In Belarus also, altough there are Byzantine Catholics, insignificant group, in numbers. In Greece, Byzantine Catholics are also extreemly small, and opinion varry. I think Christian Arabs have least conflicts among themselves.

Anonymous

well slovakia in early 90s saw few fights. but idiots have calmed down now, so its relatively ok. bishops neither priests usually dont have problems. and common rabble is becoming more civilized  ;D

Anonymous

I'm a pagan, but if I should tell what Christian tradition is proper for Slavs, then I'll say: ONLY Eastern Orthodox.

Why? First of all Easter Orthodox Church is an independent church – autocephaly. So church ist then strongly connected with people and country. Priests serve to the people and country and are not agents of foreign institution. Second – Orthodox misticism is much closer to Slavic soul than Catholic misticism. And also preserving Slavic customs and art is very important.

I have Otrhodox friends and cooperate with Orthodox parish in my city. I made and administrate their website: http://www.cerkiew.szczecin.pl/ – soon new version (with language switch) will be available.

Anonymous

Sirisitru, sorry for ooftopic, I must say I am impressed by your range of interests. History, web design, indian and slavic mythology. :) Man, I admire your will. You are profession web designer?

Anonymous

you wanted to say byzantine tradition; and catholic=/= roman catholic but nervermind that. ill also disregard things like "slavic soul"
    autocephaly means autonomy, not independence. two very different concepts.

another thing: priests are supposed to be servants of God. not of lowly, secular things (states, nations etc.). what you expressed is basically mild form of ethnophiletism in its roman catholic version. as far as i know its considered heresy by the orthodox  :)

Anonymous

Not really heresy. Serbs, Jerusalem and Russians condemned actions of Bulgarian Exarchate, but never cut canonical ties with them. It was more unlegitimate act. And there is allways second coin, phanrtiotism which caused Bulgarian shizm. Barov, don't get me wrong, but Byzantine tradition = Eastern (or Greek) Orthodoxy. Greek Catholics, were Orthodox until recent past.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.