• This topic has 7 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Pagan Celebration From Macedonia That Will Terrify You

Anually a little village Vevcani celebrates Saint Vasijil’s Day as a large festival where villagers …

Read the full story here

Anonymous

ciganluk

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

I don’t know if it’s scary but it sure looks disturbing

Anonymous

Those aren’t Slavs but gypsies.

Anonymous

@CheecaFearless its obviously over exaggerated and is part of the play. im guessing you are referring to the people in the second picture

Anonymous

As a Macedonian, I can truly say that Vevcani festival is one of the worst and coarse things in the world. I just hate it. It hasn’t got any culture, nor class, just a bunch of villagers getting drunk and playing around with mud on their faces pretending to be Gypsies. It’s one of the worst traditions on the Balkans. I admire the bravery of the people of Vevcani when they were under pressure during Yugoslav times, but this has gotta stop!

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

@”Prui Des” well it kinda does look a bit trashy :D

Anonymous

Well, we mustn’t forget that this isn’t an anomaly. Traditions like this are rooted in European culture and everywhere European culture went. You had whole carnivals in the United States in the past where they had clowns in blackface, Napoleon in blackface, and thing that just didn’t make any sense at all. It was just a way for amusement and diversion in rural places where they just had nothing.
    This is a once-in-a-year recreation and you have the same kind of festivals all over the world. People, like those in Vevcani, surrounded by threatening Albanians, under pressure, left-out by the central government, and just angry all year long, need to have a day like this to let go from all of their troubles and make just a little bit of a joke on other’s expenses.
    Sometimes it does go too far, like when it caused inter-ethnic clashes in 2012. But it should be cherished for what it is. Long live the “Republic of Vevcani”! :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.