• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My cousins in Geraltov, Slovakia set up some pictures.  The people are mostly ethnic Rusyns and one is from a Vatra that was held on May 1st.  The other is a picture from the winter, with a nice covering of snow in the village. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My cousins in Geraltov, Slovakia set up some pictures.  The people are mostly ethnic Rusyns and one is from a Vatra that was held on May 1st.  The other is a picture from the winter, with a nice covering of snow in the village. 

Pls tell me more about the Vatra. Is this a custom? In my home town in north-west Greece we have it as well.

Anonymous

The Vatra means bonfire and comes from the proto-slavic word for fire.  In Romania it means hearth and I think it means fire in Serbian.  if i'm wrong, I'm sure a Serb will corrent me.  I think it was a pre-Chrisitan fire festival held in the spring or summer as a way to unite the scattered Ruthenian people form all sides of the Carpathian mountains. 

In the New World it became a religious, cultural and music festival.  I think it started up in Europe agian in the early 80's.  I'm also thinking that these festivals are not specific to Ruthenians.  Sadly, I also think in the new world, that they are used to establish differences between Lemkos, Rusyns, and Ukranians.  i would think they would be a great way for all to share common bonds, not bicker over identity. 

Anonymous

I am not very familiar where vatra comes from but all I know is that I used to enjoy this parties with fellas since I was 12. Every simple year. Our record was like 6 metres, not lighted up. :D It was huge!  :D

Anonymous

Torch it up Miso!

Anonymous

Embers were still hot after two days of rain! Was awesome standing like 5 metres away from it and u felt heat so strong u had to turn around!  :D

Anonymous

There is nothing like a bonfire to have a good time out in the woods.  I wonder if May 1st is common for all Vatras?  The Kelts had bonfires on April 30th to celebrate New Year's

Anonymous

I have no idea but I will definitely check it once I get some free time.  ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nefario
  • GOGA
  • Piachu
  • Tujev
  • Glockamole
  • кошка