• This topic has 7 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Okie.. got a first name question for everyone reading.

My grandfather's real name is Lottie according to his birth certificate. However, I was told when I was younger my his wife (my grandma) that it was a nickname of something like Lodjija/Lodzija.  These spellings are based on the Serbian Latinica alphabet.. it's the only way I know to spell them as they sound. :)

Does anyone have any clues of names similar to this or a name Lottie would be a nickname for? My father's family is from Western Ukraine which is why I ask for possibilities in Polish, Ukrainian, or Rusyn.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

The name itself doesn't sound Slavic in origin. Croat males have a similar name though, "Lucija", which is Catholic ostensibly.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The name itself doesn't sound Slavic in origin. Croat males have a similar name though, "Lucija", which is Catholic ostensibly.

Lucija is based off Italian name. Lottie itself doesn't sound Slavic, obviously.  Lodjija/Lodzija would be nicknames for something longer. I was told once that it was a possible nickname for Włodzimierz which is Polish form of Vladimir pretty much…

Anonymous

Well Lodjija doesn't sound inherently slavic, but I could definitely see it as a nickname for Wlodzimierz. Or Wladyslaw.

Anonymous

Anyone with suggestions? (Bumping as it got buried thru the night)

Anonymous

Well hard for me to say. Lottie sounds like a short-name of Charlotte (female) or Lothar (male) which are more a Germanic-Latin scope of names rather than Slavic.

It's weird it was your grandfathers name since it sounds as a female name.

In Croatia there is a name "Lota" which is derived from "Šarlota" however that's just Croaticized version of originally Germanic Lottie – Charlotte so it is highly possible that your grandfather even thought Ukrainian/Rusyn he had a Germanic name since central Europe is a mixture of Latin-Germanic-Slavic names.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Isnt Lucija a name given to females?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well hard for me to say. Lottie sounds like a short-name of Charlotte (female) or Lothar (male) which are more a Germanic-Latin scope of names rather than Slavic.

It's weird it was your grandfathers name since it sounds as a female name.

In Croatia there is a name "Lota" which is derived from "Šarlota" however that's just Croaticized version of originally Germanic Lottie – Charlotte so it is highly possible that your grandfather even thought Ukrainian/Rusyn he had a Germanic name since central Europe is a mixture of Latin-Germanic-Slavic names.

Well the weird this is.. my mom can't remember if Lottie was listed as a first or middle name on his birth certificate. I'm waiting to hear from my aunt to see if she has access to a copy of her birth certificate actually so I can verify this once and for all. I know that it was Lottie..but that Lottie was an Americanized nickname for something else. I know that most of my grandpa's siblings had either Slavic names or just general Christian names. Only name that I'm unsure of is the eldest daughter and her name was Nellie…but once again, not sure if it's a nickname or full name. Every document I've ever seen with her name always just has Nellie. But every document on my grandpa says Walt or Walter. I also know my grandpa will scold you if you call him Lottie. He won't respond to it either. You have to call him Walt/er..

Anonymous

It seems few messages from early morning dissapeared. Prelja suggested that your grandfathers Lodjija/Lodzija could be deformed from Russian/Ukrainian Володя (nickname for Владимир/Володимир).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Isnt Lucija a name given to females?

Yeah I got it mixed up with the other girly Croatian name, Gracija.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It seems few messages from early morning dissapeared. Prelja suggested that your grandfathers Lodjija/Lodzija could be deformed from Russian/Ukrainian Володя (nickname for Владимир/Володимир).

Володя sounds like something I heard once from a relative about my grandpa. Prelja!! You are just my genealogy saint lately!!! I wish I could repay you somehow for your knowledge!!! 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Володя sounds like something I heard once from a relative about my grandpa. Prelja!! You are just my genealogy saint lately!!! I wish I could repay you somehow for your knowledge!!!

I dont know for Rusyn/Ukrainian but in Russian it is pronounced like this: Valodʲa. Sign ʲ is not phonema per se but it signs d is palatalized.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I dont know for Rusyn/Ukrainian but in Russian it is pronounced like this: Valodʲa. Sign ʲ is not phonema per se but it signs d is palatalized.

Is it possible to spell it in Serbian how it would be pronounced?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Is it possible to spell it in Serbian how it would be pronounced?

I would say Валодьа/Valodʲa (We have no jer's, but read the d as a soft as њ)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I would say Валодьа/Valodʲa (We have no jer's, but read the d as a soft as њ)

Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

12 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jan Pat II
  • kony97
  • jorgos
  • кошка
  • Glockamole
  • GOGA