• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Psoglav (Serbian: Псоглави, literally doghead) is a demonic mythical creature in Serbian mythology; belief about it existed in parts of Bosnia and Montenegro. Psoglav was described as having a human body with horse legs, and dog's head with iron teeth and a single eye on the forehead.

Psoglavs were described to live in caves, or in a dark land, which has plenty of gemstones, but no sun. They practice cannibalism, by eating people, or even digging out corpses from graves to eat them.

Psoglav is a chthonic demon, somewhat similar to Greek cyclops.

Doghead St. Christopher

"Cynocephalys (dogheads) are those who from the breast and above have the dog's head. In Russia, they are often seen in captivity and in their barking can catch the words''.

Adam from Bremen, Gesta Hammarbungensis ecclesiae pontificatum

Anonymous

Interesting thread, Dervan! Never heard of this legend before. From what era more or less is this elgend?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Interesting thread, Dervan! Never heard of this legend before. From what era more or less is this elgend?

Hard to say, cynocephalia have roots in prehistory, remmember also Slavic Neuri tribe and their changing into wolves by Herodotus.
    Few Slovenian folk stories about Psoglavs mention Attila as doghead, born in relation of King's daughter and dog.

Psoglavs were also some wild, forest population in Montenegro.

As you can see, this creature is very similar with werewolf (wolf-man), while Serbian vukodlak is more similar with vampire (thing that can transform into wolf).

Anonymous

Interesting thx Dervan. In my region we have something similar. Its called story of Pasjeglavci.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Interesting thx Dervan. In my region we have something similar. Its called story of Pasjeglavci.

No problem, I found on internet, few stories about Psoglavs/pasjeglavs in Slovenian, Croatian and Serbian, there are actualy overview of some ancient, terrible times wrapped in mythology, such as tale of Ivica i Marica (Hansel and Gretel)…

Anonymous

Dervan are pasjeglavs and psoglavs only among South Slavs and Russians?

Anonymous

By that name, I think they are.
    Many cultures around world have tales about wolf-men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf

Anonymous

Imagine what we would feel if we were to sight such creatures.

Anonymous

Псоглав from book "Kosingas". http://www.kosingas.com/order-of-the-dragon.html

Anonymous

Strangely, I had never heard about psoglavs in Russian mythology before, i thought it's just an apocrypha in some branches of early Christianity.

Anonymous

Among the Russian mythological beings Polkan can be associated with psoglavs. Despite the fact that usually it is depicted as a centaur, we can find some additional information about it in the Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary:

“Polkan – a dog, a hero, a pesigolovets, one of the heroes of Russian fantastic and epic legends. We meet him (in the text of the XVIII century) among the "strongest heroes" together with Samson Kolyvanovich and Svyatogor, in the army of Vladimir.”

Another point of view:

“Polkan appeared in Russian folk epic with the dog head and other attributes from medieval poem «Reali de Francia», which included the story of "Bova the Prince» (Buovo d'Antona). Polcan –  “Pulicane”, a dog-hero – was a son of a noble Christian seniora and the dog (such stories are quite common in medieval chronicles).” Polcan was sent to assassinate the prince.

But this version is highly controversial, as the name and description of Polkan can be found in Russian fairy tales long before the poem appeared.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nefario
  • GOGA
  • kony97
  • Jan Pat II
  • Tujev
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)