Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Putin is becoming like Tsar Nicholas and the West is losing out, warns Czech foreign minister

imageimage

Vladimir Putin is modelling himself on one of Russia's most autocratic Romanov emperors and the West is losing out, a Czech foreign minister has warned.

Nato minister Karel Schwarzenberg claims the president is growing increasingly like Tsar Nicholas I, who came to power in 1825.

Mr Schwarzenberg warned: 'It is not as easy to be a dictator as it was 40 years ago.'

Macho Putin has been accused of using oil and gas imperialism to exert his influence in eastern Europe and Central Asia.

The Czech minister cautioned against allowing any world power to dominate its neighbours in an interview with Foreign Policy US magazine, and said Putin's rule was 'dangerous' in modern times.

'We should not have illusions about the regime Putin has installed,' said Mr Schwarzenberg.

'We are not going back to Stalin, we are going back to Nicholas I.
    'It was under Nicholas I that the great part of Central Asia was conquered by the Russians.
    'Putin is quite successfully getting them under the control of Russia again, and the West is losing.'

Nicholas I – great grandfather of the ill-fated last tsar Nicholas II – crushed the famous Decembrist Revoltto take control of the Russian Empire and lead it to its historical zenith of 7.7million square miles.

During a 30-year reign, he was nominally King of Poland and Grand Duke of Finland.
    Mr Schwarzenberg himself has royal connections – he holds the Bohemian title Prince Schwarzenberg and was a second cousin of Prince Rainier III of Monaco.

However, he told The Cable blog of the Foreign Policy US magazine: 'We can't accept this. We can't accept that any world power is dominating his neighbours.

'Russia is changing much faster than he thought. It is not as easy to be a dictator as it was 40 years ago.

'He [Putin] is now afraid to meet the people and that indicates that he realises the opposition exists and that it has become a force in Russian society.'

The Czech politician said a key sign was Putin's decision this week to ban the office of USAID operating in Moscow.

Mr Schwarzenberg said President Barack Obama's reset of relations with Russia has failed and the West should admit that Putin has installed an aggressive autocracy, and deal with the consequences.

'By kicking it out, he indicated himself what he considers most dangerous for his autocracy.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209533/Putin-like-Tsar-Nicholas-West-losing-warns-Czech-foreign-minister.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Anonymous

I am allways stunned by level of ignorance of Western press.

During a 30-year reign, he was nominally King of Poland and Grand Duke of Finland.

Nominaly – In a nominal manner; by name; in name only; not in reality.

Anybody who learnt history, knows Finland and Poland were back then controlled by Russia.

Other than that, Karel von Schwarzenberg, he is Austrian. Born in Sczechia, but again in German family, his ancestors were Austrian statesmen, bishops, writers. He lived majority of life in Austria, have Austrian upbrining he was politician there.
    Anything about that "Czech" is unCzech.

Anonymous

The final of Tsar Nicholas was pathetic…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The final of Tsar Nicholas was pathetic…

What's pathetic in pneumonia?

Anonymous

*YAWN*

In Western Countres, Presidents and Prime Ministers can reign for decades and no one screams foul murder / dictatorship over it.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What's pathetic in pneumonia?

Maybe a pneumonia, maybe a suicide.. in technically and economically backward country after the defeat in the Crimean War.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    *YAWN*

In Western Countres, Presidents and Prime Ministers can reign for decades and no one screams foul murder / dictatorship over it.

I don't like how Putin and Medvedev tag and switch between president and prime minister to keep with the letter of the law. Why is there such a backdoor in the constitution anyway? It should've been two terms (or three etc) and then you step down.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't like how Putin and Medvedev tag and switch between president and prime minister to keep with the letter of the law. Why is there such a backdoor in the constitution anyway? It should've been two terms (or three etc) and then you step down.

Start liking it?  In France, IIRC, there's been some people who have been President for longer than a decade and then served a seperate term as a Prime Minister. 

It's only in the United States that you get a 8 year limit, most other countries in the world it's possible for politicians to rotate between Head of State and Head of Government for years and years.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Start liking it?  In France, IIRC, there's been some people who have been President for longer than a decade and then served a seperate term as a Prime Minister. 

It's only in the United States that you get a 8 year limit, most other countries in the world it's possible for politicians to rotate between Head of State and Head of Government for years and years.

That's an underhanded way to stay in power for life, pretty much.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Maybe a pneumonia, maybe a suicide.. in technically and economically backward country after the defeat in the Crimean War.

Of course it was a suicide.  ;)

Anonymous
    Quote:

Even US had Roosevelt who was elected 4 times in row :D 1932, 1936, 1940, 1944. Limit was introduced because Republicans were affraid of Truman's domination. Anyway, somebody forgot how much times Berlusconi was PM of Italy?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Even US had Roosevelt who was elected 4 times in row :D 1932, 1936, 1940, 1944. Limit was introduced because Republicans were affraid of Truman's domination. Anyway, somebody forgot how much times Berlusconi was PM of Italy?

That's not a good thing. 8 to 10 years at the helm of a country is enough to implement whatever awesome ideas (I know, right?) they might've had. None of these guys were God's gift to mankind and their respective countries would've been better off if they had stepped down.

Anonymous

I don't know whats worse. A leader that does not want to leave power or never ending elections that produce weak governments that cannot do anything and are replaced by another weak government after a short period of time.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's not a good thing. 8 to 10 years at the helm of a country is enough to implement whatever awesome ideas (I know, right?) they might've had. None of these guys were God's gift to mankind and their respective countries would've been better off if they had stepped down.

As far as somebody wants to wote for somebody else, I dont have problem. It is democracy.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't know whats worse. A leader that does not want to leave power or never ending elections that produce weak governments that cannot do anything and are replaced by another weak government after a short period of time.

"A government is a dangerous servant and a terrible master" – One of the US founding fathers said that and I agree. A screw up that you can vote out is better than a screw up that won't let up. Besides the weak governments that won't do anything there's also the strong governments that won't do anything good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • кошка
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • haver25
  • Tujev
  • Jan Pat II
  • kony97