• This topic has 7 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello people
    I'm New Here  ;)
    Previously excused my bad english, I'm from Germany ^^

I am writing currently an "german" eBook about Slavic mythology.
    Reason: In German there is not good informative sources about Slavic Mythology
    Therefore, it is also difficult to write the book
    The book has over 100 pages (about 150 it will be at the end)
    and I write for over two months, this book

One of my questions,
    where can I get reliable information about Slavic symbols / signs?
    Internet sources would be best.
    Many authors (in the network) to describe symbols false gods
    or generally described incorrectly.
    How true it is described on this page?
    http://buh-inc.narod.ru/x/ved_simvoli.htm

A second question is,
    where can I get reliable information about relatives of the gods?
    family, children, spouse, etc.
    and a special relationship with other gods or creatures
    Internet sources would be best.

Thank you in advance for your help  ;)

Anonymous

Welcome on Slavorum!
    Since you're German, I'll write in German.  :)
    Das klings zwar fileicht klischehaft, aber versuche es erstmal auf Wikipedia. Da kannst du ein paar Grundinformationen bekommen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_mythology

Mann kann infos über die Slawische Mitologie auf verschiedenen Internet Seiten kriegen, aber du weißt, nich allem ist zu glauben.  ;D Ich schlage dir vor, das du dich an einzelne Mittglieder diesen Forums wendest (zum Beispiel Svätoslava und andere), die viel über Slawische Götter wissen zu scheinen. Am besten wäre es ein bischen zu warten, das sie sich selbst melden. Ich nehme ann, das du leider keine Slawische Sprache sprichst, oder? Das könnte dier bei deiner suche enorm helfen. Leider kann ich nicht mehr dazu sagen, da die Mitologie nicht gerade mein Gebiet ist.  ;D Und ich endschuldige mich fur mein schlechtes schreiben…

Anonymous

You can become a Slavorum Supporter: http://forum.slavorum.com/index.php/topic,958.0.html

and download the Slavorum eBook on Slavic mythology:
    [img width=700 height=262]http://www.slavorum.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/book12.jpg” />

It contains unique art of our God Pantheon, and contains besides description of our Gods a good "story" of Slavic Mythology. I.e. the creation myth and general story line. Copyrights should be respected tho.

It is available in Slavorum Supporter section (here:http://forum.slavorum.com/index.php/board,60.0.html ) once you are a supporter. Also we have more then enough about Slavic mythology on the website in general so you might take a deeper look and research a bit :)

Hope i helped a bit :)

Anonymous

Thank Štajerc
    I also use Wikipedia (and hundreds of other sites), but the information in the wiki is too uncertain and too little for an eBook

Pentaz
    Slavorum eBook? well I am not a supporter and link does not work for me ^^

To my current issues (if someone can help me)
    1) Slavic symbols / signs (with descriptions)
    What they mean and to whom they belong
    Many Internet sources describe it wrong (false gods, false signs)
    2) Relatives of the Gods
    E.G. who are the ten sons of Perun
    Who is Veles relationship (eg he is the stepfather of Jarilo? Etc.)
    Simargl, his children; Baba Jagas wild daughter;
    and who created certain creatures (eg the winter demon zimy)
    etc etc etc ^^

PS:
    The eBook will not be commercial is, but be free in internet
    I will therefore make no money, but it is purely Slavic Patriotic
    but only for German-speaking Slavs
    because here in Germany enough Slavs live, but almost no information about our culture there are
    I had to make sometimes considered a German-speaking Slavic Forum
    (I ever had a successful forum, but for a country)
    Failed, it was because I had no German-Slavic people start to

Anonymous
    Quote:

Pentaz
    Slavorum eBook? well I am not a supporter and link does not work for me ^^

It doesn't work for you because you aren't a supporter.

Anonymous
    Quote:

2) Relatives of the Gods
    E.G. who are the ten sons of Perun
    Who is Veles relationship (eg he is the stepfather of Jarilo? Etc.)
    Simargl, his children; Baba Jagas wild daughter;
    and who created certain creatures (eg the winter demon zimy)
    etc etc etc ^^

*Jarilo is Peruns son in his early age (teen), that later as becomes as well a God of war and his name changes to Jarovit (among western Slavs).
    *Veles is Peruns brother, even to some contradictions in historical sources, they both are/should be sons of Svarog.
    *Simargl is Svarogs creation in order to protect the seeds and crops that his wife plants.
    *Never heard for the winter demon Zimy, must be some specific local myth but in Slavic mythology Goddess Morana could be addressed to it then.

Anonymous

http://i.allday.ru/uploads/posts/2009-09/1253732827_4poedinok-peruna-s-demonom-zimy.jpg

The demon Zomy annually by evil Karachun created (god of the underworld and the cold).
    It was believed that the demon of winter would prevail for a season
    and finally by Perun be defeated in battle.
    Was not a battle between good and evil, but (in the early pagans) only battle between winter and summer

och with the Jarilo->Jerovit I must also take into pure book, thx ;)

Somewhere I read that Simargl had children  ???

Does one of you to good links?
    because I need a lot of information (above "all" gods)
    in terms of their relations with other gods and creatures

Anonymous

"Zimy" is simply zima 'winter' in genitivus, not a proper name, and this "demon of winter" doesn't correspond to any actual mythological character. About Korochun – originally Proto-Slavic *korčunъ was one of the names of winter solstice or/and the rites related to it; terms derived from it still have meanings like "Christmass' eve", "Christmass" etc. in various dialects, while in Central Russia koročun was indeed the name of an obscure malevolent being, related to that time of the year. But it was never a deity.  :)

Relatives of the gods… We have detailed accounts on, say, Ancient Greek or North Germanic mythology, and in those accounts there is often an elaborate genealogy to be found. This is, however, not the case with Slavic mythology. There are only three sources that mention genealogical relations of some kind:

1) The Old Russian translation of John Malala's chronography states that Dazhbog was son of Svarog; however, "Svarog" and "Dazhbog" in that source are merely Slavic interpretations of Hephaistos and Helios in the original text, and we simply don't know whether they really had such relation in Slavic mythology or not.

2) Old Russian Lay Of Igor's Regiment mentions "grandsons of the gods" three times – winds as grandsons of Stribog, the "wise singer" Boyan (a shamanistic figure, in the broader sense) as grandson of Veles, and Russian rulers as grandsons of Dazhbog.

3) Helmhold Von Bosau in his Chronica Slavorum claims the Slavs believed that all of their gods were descended from one celestial deity.

And that's all. The theory of Croatian scholars Katičić and Belaj about Perun's large patriarchal family, the kidnapping and adoption of the deity with a name derived from the root *jar- by Veles, and the incestuous marriage that follows is summarised well in the respective Wiki articles ; I'm very partial to it, but I don't think the thesis is very well grounded, and I find it too, erm, brave to be taken at face value, although I generally support Ivanov and Toporov's "basic myth" theory from which it stems. Anyway, you decide whether you believe it or not.  :)

The problem with Slavic mythology studies is that you have to know at least Russian and/or Polish, since the main works in that sphere from 19th and 20th century alike are written in those two languages.

Have a look at this too:
    http://drevnosti.org/the-slavic-antiquities/46-pantheon/70-pagan-cult-in-kievan-rus-the-invention-of-foreign-elite-or-evolution-of-the-local-tradition

Edit: misspelled something  :)

Anonymous

i would also like to add something about dažbogs descendants. authoritarian rulers and pagan nobility of that era used to say that theyre descendants of gods, to improve their political authority. especially the pagan "reactionary" nobility that often incited rebellions in hope to stay in power in spite of spreading christianity. because accepting christianity would weaken their power. that is, if they first said that theyre grandsons of dažbog and later accepted christianity, they would politically compromise themselves.

Anonymous

Thx Mratinjak  ;)
    Yes, of course I have read Wikipedia
    But there is too little information for me
    besides, it must be reliable information (everyone writes what he wants)
    From Wiki maximum of 10 pages were in my eBook
    but I've already written 119 pages
    and it should be approximately 150-200 pages

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thx Mratinjak  ;)
    Yes, of course I have read Wikipedia
    But there is too little information for me
    besides, it must be reliable information (everyone writes what he wants)
    From Wiki maximum of 10 pages were in my eBook
    but I've already written 119 pages
    and it should be approximately 150-200 pages

The things is, there is very little known about actual pre-Christian religion of the Slavs. There are several medieval German sources on West Slavs, variuos Old Russian chronicles and sermons against paganism – from this we can gather some theonyms, some hints about deities' functions, cult and belief. But there is no "higher" mythology (as opposed to "lesser mythology", i.e. folklore demonology) survived – no texts of myths, no genealogical data about gods and goddesses. This is where comparative mythology, linguistics and ethnography come to help, but they only add some theories. And again, these studies are generally not available in English, at least to my knowledge.
    There's a lot of bullshi.t in the Slavic mythology section of Wiki, yes. It's a bit sad when you compare it to the section on Germanic mythology, which is very well grounded academically. The main entry on Slavic mythology is good, though. Most of the other articles – not so much.

Feel free to ask if you have any particular question on some deity etc., I'll try to help you if I can.

Anonymous

yes that is exactly what you describe the problem here
    many (private) interpretations derived from Germanic or Greek mythology
    and then try to fill the gaps in Slavic mythology
    that's why I sometimes found up to 3-4 different versions on specific topics
    So I'm just trying to take the Unanimously are
    is really difficult so a skilled work – as in my studies ^ ^
    The first 80% of the work is done in the first 20% of the time
    then comes the heavy,
    the remaining 20% ​​of the work will take four times as long ^ ^

Oh, what do you think the information is here ok? (about Slavic symbols)
    or just "coppy and paste" where you'd have to recheck it again?
    Slavic symbolism: http://forum.slavorum.com/index.php/topic,132.0.html

Anonymous

I don't know much about embrodiery, woodwork etc., my interests have been always more focused on oral tradition – so I'm not especially competent when it comes to symbols. A few notes, nonetheless:

1.The thread is excellent and I think most of the pictures posted in there are authentic. However, some of the interpretations have to be taken with a grain of salt. I guess you've figured out that names like "the wheel of X god", "the star of Y god" could be nothing but recent inventions. Such symbols in embrodiery will usually have simplistic names like "circle", "sun", "moon", "curve" etc. Of course, we can guess that "thunder sign" was indeed related to Perun, the solar symbols – to Dazhbog, etc., but that's about it.

2.The "kolovrat". Swastika is a very common symbol in the embrodiery (and not only) of many Slavic peoples, if not all, but it was never called that way. *Kolovortъ meant spinning wheel, and it still means the same in Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Polish… It is a name that suits the symbol well, the problem is, there is no evidence it was ever applied to it. Furthermore, I'm yet to see an authentic depiction of eight-legged swastika anywhere in Slavic embrodiery, woodwork, or archeological artifacts.

3. "Ręce Boga" (The Hands of God) – while it seems to be popular amongst Neo-Pagans, it was taken from a single vessel from Przeworsk archeological culture, which was likely not Slavic.

Anonymous

och yes "Rece Boga", this is also a problem in my book
    it is particularly popular with polish new-pagans
    I like the symbol too
    but it is very doubtful whether it is a Slavic symbol

Anonymous

Slavic runes are written in manuscript Boyanov anthem very much resemble the German.

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2171626

А.И. Асов – Славянские руны и "Боянов гимн" [2000, PDF, RUS]
    A.I. Asov – Slavic runes and "Boyanov anthem"

the anthem 5 pages
    http://ru.wikisource.org/wiki/%D0%98%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%81:%D0%91%D0%BE%D1%8F%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2_%D0%93%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BD.djvu

Назван в честь упоминаемого в нем Бояна, впервые опубликован в переводе Г.Р. Державина в книге "Чтения в Беседе любителей русского слова" (СПб., 1812, кн. 6, с. 5).

Named in honour referred to in it, Bojana, first published in translation G.R. Derzhavin in the book "reading in the Conversation of lovers of the Russian word" (SPb., 1812, vol. 6, S. 5).

scan http://www.knigafund.ru/books/2327/read#page5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • Yung Slav
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • kony97
  • Lyutenitsa
  • Drizzt