• This topic has 7 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Maypoles as a cultural phenomenon were already known in the ancient times as symbols of protection against evil spirits and disease. Later, young lads used to put up maypoles for girls – as a symbol of the green and life so that the girls would be pretty, slender and healthy…

[img width=700 height=469]http://lh4.ggpht.com/-Z7TEg93h6x0/TfNsF4kyA-E/AAAAAAAACIU/n29pSf0Jc9o/StavanieMajaNaNamestiVPoprade.jpg”/>

One of the oldest records in medieval Europe is the one from 1255 which says that in Aachen (Germany) maypoles were erected on May Day, Whitsun and Midsummer in front of the church, town hall, the houses of the leading burgesses and generally respected people as a demonstration of respect and well-wishing. From here it was not too far to the idea of building a maypole in front of the house of an adored girl.

In the 15th century the erection of a maypole was a sign of serious interest in a girl, in certain circumstances it could even acquire legal significance, as attested by a decision of the church court in Bohemia that in 1422 acknowledged the validity of a marriage based on the oath of love and faith and an erected maypole. Later on maypoles were allocated different meanings in our country. In some regions and their sub-regions it is possible to basically observe three possibilities:

– in the first case, a young man only erected a maypole for the girl he was interested in;
    – in the second one, maypoles were youngsters‘ common gift to all adult girls in the village;
    – the third variant was that each girl got a maypole, but if she had a boy of her own, her maypole was different from the ones raised as a collective present of the male youth.

In the first third of the 20th century in Upper Gemer girls were still only getting maypoles from their admirers. Later on lads would raise a maypole for each girl in the village. While a spruce was an individual homage to a girl ready for marriage, a birch was a collective honour. In this region maypoles were put up at Whitsun, locally called "rosadlie".

A part of raising maypoles was the youngsters‘ walk-around with music from house to house, dancing with the girls, singing occasional songs, treating and gifting of the lads (with in-kind gifts, later money), games, competitions and collective entertainment.

On May 1, people in every town and every village in Slovakia raise a Maypole.

Anonymous

so would the girl choose the guy who erected the biggest maypole for her ? hehehe  ;)
    or the best ornamented ?
    Good thread, I didn't know much about the meaning of maypoles except that they existed as a continuation from pagan traditions… thanks Svatoslava !

These 2 are for you hehehe

Anonymous

It's about mutual feelings, a man is expected to erect a maypole for a girl whom fell in love with. It's a serious thing  ;)  Then men compare their maypoles, who has the biggest and most beautiful one. But the biggest one stands in the middle of village.

This Slovak folksong is about raising the maypoles during Rusadľa feast day. Girls sing that they have no maypoles thus they are unhappy, then men sing they erect the maypoles for them and they should take care of them and then girls sing they got the maypoles and they are very thankful for them ("Thanks God, I had a maypole.").  ;)

Už idú Rusadľa / Keď sme / Už prešli Rusadľa (Slovak folk songs)

Anonymous

I thought that each village and town would raise just one big maypole in the main square. A symbol of fertility and the spring bloom. But it is also a romantic thing, interesting. Now we have roses and chocolates, but even that it passe it seems. People just "poke" on Facebook and "like" each others' photos. Lame. Return the to the Maypole!

Anonymous

Interesting……you still see them here from time to time too. I will pay more attention this year. It makes good sense and I'm certainly not surprised that poles are raised straight in the air in the springtime while chasing after girls. Sounds right to me! ;D

Anonymous

It would be great to get a maypole instead of chocolate or whatever… More romantic, more exciting for girls  :)  And men can show us how skillful they are in cutting and erecting of the maypole  ;)  Buying a chocolate is nothing, but raising the maypole is great in comparison with it!

Anonymous

In Slovenia we have maypole tradition as well. It is caled Mlaj. In communist times Mlaj was hijacked as symbol of workers so people are using it for Workers Day now. Also mlaj is used by some for celebration of 50th, 70th etc. birthday. However traditional use of Mlaj isnt entirely death.

In old times it was erected only in certain important events such as summer solstice where they also made bonefire besides maypole, it was also used in religious celebrations, completion of building like example house, barn etc. and it is still used for marriage.

Here are pictures of typical slovene maypole.

[img width=527 height=700]http://image.24ur.com/media/images/600xX/Apr2008/60130365.jpg”/>

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It would be great to get a maypole instead of chocolate or whatever… More romantic, more exciting for girls  :)  And men can show us how skillful they are in cutting and erecting of the maypole  ;)  Buying a chocolate is nothing, but raising the maypole is great in comparison with it!

I agree! I would totally want to say my boyfriend or crush gave me a maypole instead of chocolates. I can buy my own chocolates. :)

I've never seen these here in Serbia.  :(  Maybe in the villages, still?

Anonymous

Like Povhec sayed, this tradition is alive in Slovenia for May 1st. Especially in villages it's a big deal, since most of the men gather and help the firefighters to raise it up. Of course a harmonica must not be missing! At my place it turns to a real party with bear, music and lots of čevapčiči!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Of course a harmonica must not be missing! At my place it turns to a real party with bear, music and lots of čevapčiči!

Wauuu!!! 😮 A uhka tud jest pridm! :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Wauuu!!! 😮 A uhka tud jest pridm! :D

Ja lahk, sam najdo ne boš… Tu bol slab GPS vlejče. ;D ;D ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ja lahk, sam najdo ne boš… Tu bol slab GPS vlejče. ;D ;D ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Kaki medvedi, ka?  ??? I don't know what you mean.

Ja, lejga no madonca, tko ti pravš; "prava zabava z medvedam"

Quote:
    Of course a harmonica must not be missing! At my place it turns to a real party with bear, music and lots of čevapčiči!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • GOGA
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Nefario
  • Jan Pat II
  • Fia