• This topic has 9 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Recipe: How to make Ćevapi like a real Balkan Slav

Ćevapi also known as Ćevapcici, the dish of minced meat, popular in Bosnia and Herzegovina and other Balkan Slavic countries since the days of the Ottoman Empire invasion upon these territories.

Read the full story here

Anonymous

“Life without Ćevapi is like Votka without Alcohol. Unbearable! ” ~ Leo Tolstoy, 1875.

Anonymous

Are these better cooked in an over, or made on a grill?

Anonymous

> “Life without Ćevapi is like Votka without Alcohol. Unbearable! ” ~ Leo Tolstoy, 1875.

Must have been taken out of context. East Slavs don’t know this dish. The closest that comes is Shashliki. Most likely it came to us from Caucases.

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

@rodv they are made on a grill, never in an oven.

Anonymous

@Perun

On this type of grill?

Anonymous

I think I’ve tried Ćevapi from Azerbajani cuisine a long time ago.  They call it Lulja-Kebab.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor 
    this kind of grill

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

@Sviatogor just as Dušan wrote above.

Anonymous

@Perun

I found some videos of Cevapi from Sarajevo.

If it was up to me I would have cut lamb meat into tiny pieces instead of mincing the meat. But mincer would not be practical for a large number of people.

I like our shashliki. In eastern Slavia any barbecue would not go without them. Ideal and authentic recipe of shashliki would be as such

Lamb (pork is discouraged)
    Marinade – lots of onion, salt, black pepper then spices of your choice. It can be cumin, carriandr, cardamom, juniper. My personal favourite is black pepper, cumin and juniper.

The important part is not to overpower meat with spices.

Then small pieces of meat are cooked over hot ashes of fruit trees such apple, cherry, apricot, plums. Bereza, lipa, osina, elka, dub are no good as they release plenty of tar.

This is an ideal recipe. In reality , people use pork, all kinds of marinades and char-coal.

Anonymous

I would think pork would give a good deal of moisture and flavor to the mix.

Anonymous

Pork gives good flavour to sausages. Barbeques are best prepared from lamb in my opinion.

Anonymous

Yes, meat on a stick is secret high-tech stuff. No way we had that before we were “enriched” by vibrant muslim culture.

P.S: Pork is the king of meats. If the Turks brough lamb kebab here, they obviously must have brought and inferior dish, which we improved on.

Anonymous

@aaaaa

Pork is popular in all Slavic countries and northern European countries. But lamb is one of the best choice for Barbecue. Preparing lamb on sticks takes times. You have to cut meat into even pieces placing them on sticks. Then you have to constantly rotate the stick while meat is roasting. Occasionally I get lazy and prepare lamb chops the same way I would prepare shashliki using grille.

It looks like this : http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5273/5876177132_9e3c6a3c74.jpg

Anonymous

@Sviatogor lamb is fine, esp. lamb on a skewer. We do that on st. George’s day in May. But it’s not pork and it smells funny.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

3 User(s) Online Join Server
  • MD
  • Shnickstara89
  • Lyutenitsa™