• This topic has 10 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Recipe: How to make tasty Burek just like Balkanians

Burek is worshiped in all variants. The original meat variant, but we do object if it is even filled with cheese, vegetables, or in fact with anything. With a little yogurt or sip of a beer and we would eat it at any time of the day.

Read the full story here

Anonymous

Some of the Balkan Slavs (Bosnians mostly) would say that : Burek is just filled with minced meat, and other similar meals are just filo pastry pies (ie, cheese, potato, cabagge…).
    But what I would say that before all, you should choose some other type of cheese here… but hey :) that is just my oppinion. When I see burek, I like it. No discrimination :)

Anonymous

I also thought it’s made with meat, which would distinguish it from our various banitsas. Well, in any case, it’s great and it’s making me hungry!

Anonymous

Isn’t cheese the whole point of burek? In Bulgaria “burek” mainly refers to peppers stuffed with cheese. Sometimes a particular type of banitsa can be “burek” but I think that’s a culinary yugo loanword, just like “pleskavitsa”.

Anonymous

Originally it was just meat filled, but eventually they started filling it with anything (potato, chocolate, cheese etc.) so basically Burek has become a “sort” of a food dish. 

Anonymous

I vaguely seem to recall that “burek” was actually “cheese” in Turkish or something. (Besides the name of the bosnian space shuttle, that is).

Anonymous

Basically burek is meat baked in dough. We have similar dishes – dough and meat – baked in oven, boiled in water, fried in oil, traditionally in pork fat.

Anonymous

@aaaaa Nah, the peppers thing is “chushki byurek”. Or, wait, that’s actually peppers fried in dough, not stuffed with cheese…
    In any case, I found an interesting study (link) about the various names of the banitsas/bureks in the Bulgarian dialects. So it seems to be a regional thing – burek seems to be a Turkish loanword mostly popular in Macedonia (and Bosnia?), whereas the Serbs use gibanica, I think, which appears to be the oldest, Proto-Slavic form. And it also seems that the mlin and klin I’ve only heard about are also the same thing, but in different regions.

Anonymous

IN BOSNIA proper burek is with chopped  meat not minced meat. and its my favour. and there is actually good reason for that coz in chopped meat you cant put all kinds of additives as you can do with minced. they put all kind of stuff like soya pumpkin and other stuff mixed with minced meat so that in the end cant see difference in that mass of meat. really ugly way to make a profit on cheating on the meat. and yes they also mix it with soda bycarbona. so when in restoran or some place you want to eat burek ask for chopped meat, and sure it is better

Anonymous

burek mean rolled pastry and can be filled with all kinds of stuff: if it cheese we in bosnia cal it sirnica, if its potato krompirusa. and only here burek is only with meat while around region its burek wih cheese or burek with potato and so on

Anonymous

Sve su pite pitice, samo burek pitac je. – Don’t know how to translate.

Anonymous

In Bosnia we call that type of dish pita – of which than you have many variations, Burek, Sirnica, Gibanica, Kljukusa, Maslenica, Krompirusa etc., which all is dependent on the ingredients, style etc.

Anonymous

Krompirusa is with potatoes, I guess?

Anonymous

Yes, krompiruša is with potato. I also seen burek with eurokrem (something like nutella). My favorite is with cheese, followed by meat. That and our Balkan non-sweet yogurt is great combination.

Anonymous

Banitsa with yogurt is a classic. As well as banitsa with boza. Though my personal favourite of the various kinds of banitsas is the one we call zelnik, with leek.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • kony97
  • Nexius
  • Nefario
  • Tujev